Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicinal honey

• 23-07-2014 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

Not just for animals obviously, but I've been using manuka honey for a few years now on cuts etc on the dogs, and give it to them if any of them seem to have KC or any kind of cough. My vets also put it on wounds, seems as though we've been doing the right thing :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/28399182

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Any Irish honey is just as good. Its just bee keepers Dont have the millions of euro research to back up their claims. All honey has hydrogen peroxide ( found in bleach) which prevents infection. Any unfiltered honey is just as good as manuka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

hfallada wrote: »
    Any Irish honey is just as good. Its just bee keepers Dont have the millions of euro research to back up their claims. All honey has hydrogen peroxide ( found in bleach) which prevents infection. Any unfiltered honey is just as good as manuka.

Thats good to know, as I've wondered that. Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

The only problem with using supermarket honey is that if it's unpasteurised, you risk introducing clostridial spores into the wound. Medical grade honey is very expensive though, because it's irradiated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

While the Manuka honey is very expensive, it's very good. I used to put it on gauze pads and use it as a dressing on surgical wounds I had that were very slow to heal. It kept the wounds clean, helped the healing and was quite soothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

boomerang wrote: »
    The only problem with using supermarket honey is that if it's unpasteurised, you risk introducing clostridial spores into the wound. Medical grade honey is very expensive though, because it's irradiated.

So is all manuka honey pasteurised? If not, is medicinal available to joe public here in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

muddypaws wrote: »
    So is all manuka honey pasteurised? If not, is medicinal available to joe public here in Ireland?

this might be :

http://www.revamil.nl/new/uk/products

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Medihoney or Activon.

But unpasteurised Manuka honey is also used widely. (M.U.F. has to be greater than 10.)

ETA: Manuka is superior to blended honeys, because it has greater anti-bacterial qualities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Aldi do 10+ and 15+ Manuka but don't know if it's pasteurised? I've heard coconut oil is meant to be great for topical use too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I've used a comvita manuka ointment before, get it in the health food stores. Find it brilliant.

Advertisement