Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plus-size running gear for women?

Options
  • 23-07-2014 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

I might be the only overweight female runner here but on the off chance I'm not, I'm starting this thread to discuss plus-size running gear that is (or isn't!) available. (Everyone else, please, please don't start fat-bashing here, that would get us nowhere!)

Currently, I need to wear men's running tops and store-brand trousers to run in. It's not the most comfortable gear but it works because I have no other choice.

Some major sports brands only go up to a size 18 in women's clothes (still too small for me :( ). Very few go beyond that and those that do are really pricey.

Anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FlorenceWilder

Yes..I think so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not a runner, but Ulla Popken deliver to Ireland and do plus sizes in all sorts of clothes. ullapopken.eu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

spurious wrote: »
    Not a runner, but Ulla Popken deliver to Ireland and do plus sizes in all sorts of clothes. ullapopken.eu

Thanks for the link, always good to get new places for clothes!

For this thread, I was thinking more about the 'big name' sports brands, how hard it is to get properly fitting plus size clothes specifically made for running.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Have you tried www.sportsdirect.com? They do all the major brands as well as ones like Karrimor. I'm sure they're likely to have plus sizes 20+.

MammaZita wrote: »
    Have you tried ......? They do all the major brands as well as ones like Karrimor. I'm sure they're likely to have plus sizes 20+.

Thanks for that. Yes, I've tried them and they have nothing for 20+.

It's not so much distributors and shops, it's the actual brands themselves that don't produce in the higher plus-sizes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I had this issue starting out - a lot of football jerseys and men's tracksuit bottoms until I got down to a size 16!

Decathlon go to an EU 48 in quite a few ranges, size 20 equivalent.

If you're feeling spendy, Team Estrogen in the US stock up to an American 2XL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Thanks for that. Yes, I've tried them and they have nothing for 20+.

It's not so much distributors and shops, it's the actual brands themselves that don't produce in the higher plus-sizes.

I actually just checked their site and they don't seem to do running year in sizes bigger than 14?!

I'm very new to running myself and am shocked that it's so difficult for you, especially with the increase in the numbers of runners of all shapes and sizes in recent years.

I know the quality wouldn't be great but I did see that Penneys are doing running tops, leggings and shorts- definitely spotted 22-24. I wonder do M&S at least the quality would be better. Have you tried TK Maxx or the Nike outlet stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Looks like M&S do up to a 22 on their UK site anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I bought mine last year in Kildare village, it was all sale items as they were all 20 plus sizes, I got a load of good value reebok bottoms, sports bras, very few tees though, but I wear a vest I got in Tesco of all places, only took 6 weeks though to go down sizes so dont spend too much money.

Thanks for all the input!

I do wear trousers from M&S, but for tops I prefer the 'made for running' shirts that keep you cool and dry.

As for sizes, I'll think I'll need the plus sized for a while, even at a smaller size I prefer clothes that are roomy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

MammaZita wrote: »
    I actually just checked their site and they don't seem to do running year in sizes bigger than 14?!

I'm very new to running myself and am shocked that it's so difficult for you, especially with the increase in the numbers of runners of all shapes and sizes in recent years.

I know the quality wouldn't be great but I did see that Penneys are doing running tops, leggings and shorts- definitely spotted 22-24. I wonder do M&S at least the quality would be better. Have you tried TK Maxx or the Nike outlet stores?

Penneys definitely do gear up to size 22 anyway, I've seen them. I think their quality is ok, especially if you're not doing very long runs yet. I have two of their crop tops, which are absolutely fine & supportive, though maybe a bit heavy, a pair of tight above-the-knee shorts (which I find perfect for Pilates) and a pair of running tights, which are great for wearing while warming up etc.

I'd give Penneys a go. O'Connell St always seems to have the larger sizes if you're in Dublin.

Advertisement