Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the strangest thing about you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

I have a fear of road sweepers (the machines not the men) . The sound of the brushing vibrates my brain and makes me angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

I got webbed toes on my left foot :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

I can stack 2 wagon wheels in my mouth, and then close my mouth without breaking them

Female? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I dont drink tea :p

I don't drink tea or coffee.

I don't eat eggs or tomatoes, unless they're a heavily disguised ingredient of a dish. (no fried, poached, boiled, or scrambled eggs, and no grilled tomatoes). I don't eat pasta, pizza, prawns, lasagne, quiche, spaghetti bolognese or the evil mushroom. And I hate to be even in the same room as a cucumber. Lettuce and I are not friends.

I've never eaten a steak or a burger.

(Maybe I'll change when I grow up. I'm only 41 and a 1/2 at the moment...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

I cannot stand baked beans. I try and not be in the same room as them otherwise i'll feel sick. I hate the smell, the look, the texture, the taste. bleugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 charcoal blue

I've got this really weird quirk/habit where i'd be talking to somebody and they'd say a word (no specific word just a general everyday word) and i'd find myself doing a weird maths thing on the word I heard to find the average letter in the word.

Stick with me, only me best friend really understands this so it might take a while to grasp, or maybe not I don't know.

Ok so say around Hallowe'en I heard someone say the word 'Pumpkin'. I automatically separate the word into each individual letter and find the numerical value of each letter of that word in the alphabet (P= 16th letter; U= 21st; M= 13th etc) I can do this automatically without thinking.

I then combine the total value of the numerical value of the letters together in the word (the total in pumpkin comes to 100; 16+21+13+16+11+9+14)

I then divide the total word value (100) by the number of letters in the alphabet (26)

100/26= 3.8

So in my mind the average letter value in the word 'Pumpkin' is 3.8 which is C.

It's a bit weird, I do it automatically now without thinking and feel a huge amount of relief when I can find the average letter. I almost have a sense of euphoria when the average letter works out as an exact figure (i.e. 3 or 4).

So yeah, bit strange maybe? I'm actually studying Psychology and my lecturer thinks it's a bit of an obsessive compulsive tendency, no idea when I started or where the obsession to find the numerical average value of random words came from but that's the craic with PictureFrame

Average letter value of "C"....nooooo surely it's "N" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I cannot stand baked beans. I try and not be in the same room as them otherwise i'll feel sick. I hate the smell, the look, the texture, the taste. bleugh.

I'm exactly the same, cannot abide them, nastly little fe*kers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Average letter value of "C"....nooooo surely it's "N" :)

Agreed. He should divide by number of letters in the word, but then who are we to criticise his personal insanity? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Sadderday wrote: »
    I can hold in my poo for millions of hours

Some people get sexual pleasure from doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

what is the strangest thing about this guy in china?
    He is actually a woman - complete with periods, xx chromosomes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

I've got this really weird quirk/habit where i'd be talking to somebody and they'd say a word (no specific word just a general everyday word) and i'd find myself doing a weird maths thing on the word I heard to find the average letter in the word.

Stick with me, only me best friend really understands this so it might take a while to grasp, or maybe not I don't know.

Ok so say around Hallowe'en I heard someone say the word 'Pumpkin'. I automatically separate the word into each individual letter and find the numerical value of each letter of that word in the alphabet (P= 16th letter; U= 21st; M= 13th etc) I can do this automatically without thinking.

I then combine the total value of the numerical value of the letters together in the word (the total in pumpkin comes to 100; 16+21+13+16+11+9+14)

I then divide the total word value (100) by the number of letters in the alphabet (26)

100/26= 3.8

So in my mind the average letter value in the word 'Pumpkin' is 3.8 which is C.

It's a bit weird, I do it automatically now without thinking and feel a huge amount of relief when I can find the average letter. I almost have a sense of euphoria when the average letter works out as an exact figure (i.e. 3 or 4).

So yeah, bit strange maybe? I'm actually studying Psychology and my lecturer thinks it's a bit of an obsessive compulsive tendency, no idea when I started or where the obsession to find the numerical average value of random words came from but that's the craic with PictureFrame

That's funny as I do very similar things but with numbers themselves rather than words into numbers. I don't know how to explain some of it, but a big part is seeing a number (license plates/serial numbers/card numbers) and trying to make it into some kind of pattern. Let's say (in a very basic way), the number was 537 or something, I'd try and make it in my head either 456 or 555 (these are strings of digits moreso than numbers). So I can look at a long number on a card or something and now know pretty quickly if it's a good number (a pattern can be made from it) or a bad one (doesn't have one of the patterns that satisfies me). Just in the last year I've been told I have some mild OCD, so your lecturer seems to be right; I never had connected them though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Female? :cool:

Is your weird thing that you have a circular c0ck?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

You win the thread. I am aware that you're probably not going to finish reading this post for a while though. Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

I'M OFFICIALLY A FREAK. I'm doing that sexy word tomorrow, i'm far too wrecked tonight
    danniemcq wrote: »
    Would it not be D when you round it off? or do you keep the decimals?

edit: I do want to say that thats freaking awesome though!

I tend to ignore decimals, just whatever the first solid number is that's the one I use
    minotour wrote: »
    Pictureframes letter/number algorithm is amazing, curious as to what is it about a specific word that triggers it?

That's something i'd like to know myself, it just tends to be any word, no idea where it stemmed from.
    enda1 wrote: »
    Agreed. He should divide by number of letters in the word, but then who are we to criticise his personal insanity? :P

Yeah I like to divide by the number of letters in the alphabet, no idea why but each to their own?
    That's funny as I do very similar things but with numbers themselves rather than words into numbers. I don't know how to explain some of it, but a big part is seeing a number (license plates/serial numbers/card numbers) and trying to make it into some kind of pattern. Let's say (in a very basic way), the number was 537 or something, I'd try and make it in my head either 456 or 555 (these are strings of digits moreso than numbers). So I can look at a long number on a card or something and now know pretty quickly if it's a good number (a pattern can be made from it) or a bad one (doesn't have one of the patterns that satisfies me). Just in the last year I've been told I have some mild OCD, so your lecturer seems to be right; I never had connected them though!

CAN WE BE LOVERS??? We can raise our children on numerical sequences and cereal

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I've never seen The Wizard of Oz.

You win the thread. I am aware that you're probably not going to finish reading this post for a while though. Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

This was a fun one! 19.6 so 'S' by the way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

This was a fun one! 19.6 so 'S' by the way :pac:

Waitasec, you must have divided by the number of letters in the word this time?

Edit: Oh man, I don't want to ruin your day but I think you did it wrong. I wrote a quick program to do this:
    public class AverageLetter {

private static String inputWord = "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis";
    	private static int wordValue = 0;
    	private static boolean useAlphabetLength = true;

public static void main(String[] args) {

if(args.length > 0) {
    			inputWord = args[0].toLowerCase();
    		} else {
    			inputWord = inputWord.toLowerCase();
    		}

for(int i = 0; i < inputWord.length(); i++) {

wordValue += Character.getNumericValue(inputWord.charAt(i)) - 9;
    		}

int average = 0;

if(useAlphabetLength) {
    			average = wordValue / 26;
    			System.out.println("Average: " + average + "; " + Character.forDigit(average + 9, 36));
    		}
    		else {
    			average = wordValue / inputWord.length();
    			System.out.println("Average: " + average + "; " + Character.forDigit(average + 9, 36));
    		}
    	}
    }

It outputs Average: 21; u and I think it's right. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I've never had a Big Mac.

What about a Double Big Mac?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Edit: Oh man, I don't want to ruin your day but I think you did it wrong. I wrote a quick program to do this:

private static String inputWord = "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis";

if(args.length > 0) {
    		} else {
    		}

}

int average = 0;

if(useAlphabetLength) {
    		}
    		else {
    		}
    	}
    }

What's with the magic numbers? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

no matter how much i drink i can never get drunk (as in not to remember what i did or have consciousness of whats going on) : (

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

What's with the magic numbers? :)

Shut up I was in a hurry. :p

Character value for 'a' is 10, had to adjust for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

if(args.length > 0) {
            } else {
            }

}

int average = 0;

if(useAlphabetLength) {
            }
            else {
            }
        }
    }

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I'm pretty sure that I get autism when I'm drunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

discus wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that's just called being drunk.

if(args.length > 0) {
    		} else {
    		}

}

int average = 0;

if(useAlphabetLength) {
    		}
    		else {
    		}
    	}
    }

WHY DID I DO MY CALCULATION HALF ASLEEP ILL NEVER EVER FORGIVE MYSELF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

When eating food at home, I cannot eat my food without simultaneously watching a cooking show on tv and pretending i'm eating the food that is being cooked. Yes,
    i'm a weird one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

discus wrote: »

Any tips? :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Often, if I'm talking to someone or thinking to myself, I pick out a particular word in the sentence and I trace the letters of the word out on the palm of my hand or on another surface, like a couch or table.

I don't think anyone has ever noticed, at least nobody has ever said anything to me. I have lots of strange little habits like that and I don't even notice them, probably why I like to spend most of my time alone! :P

When I am at home I love to have the curtains closed all the time. I really don't like the idea of any neighbours or anyone walking by looking in to my house. It drives my OH mad because she loves sun and sunlight. It doesn't make any difference to me if it is dark or really sunny outside, it doesn't affect my mood either way. Of course I love winter time because I like the cold and because it is dark so people can't see in as easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

I dont know what a tracker mortgage is...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Joya wrote: »
    Any tips? :):):)

If you suffer the same condition, don't get drunk :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I have a strange phobia of high ceilings and large enclosed spaces. It isn't an officially recognised phobia but there is a facebook group for it. It's called altcelerophobia.

I will get feelings of vertigo and start sweating and become very uncomfortable in buildings such as churches/theatres etc.

Advertisement