Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Find all posts by user...

Options
  • 23-07-2014 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

Just though I'd throw this out there..

I have to say that I'm quite uncomfortable with the fact that anyone who knows my username can see every post I've posted/thread I've started, even if they don't have an account on here. I can understand why mods need to be able to view all your posts but I don't get why anyone should be able to view it. Or is there anyway of hiding this from non-registered users or people who aren't on your friends list on Boards?

I would prefer a system where I could choose how public I want my "find all posts..." link to be, whether that be with users on my friends list, users who've been a member for longer than a month etc., and obviously mods should be able to view everyone's no matter what setting they've on, I understand why that's necessary.

Cheers :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm afraid the software that Boards runs on doesn't have that functionality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Zaph wrote: »
    I'm afraid the software that Boards runs on doesn't have that functionality.

I suspected that there must have been a reason why it hadn't been done. :(

Cheers Zaph :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, you do realise that Google indexes boards content, so even if Boards removed the functionality, it would still be available anyway. And they''re not goigg to stop Google having access, because it's advertising that pays (some of) the bills to keep boards running.

In short - assume that everything you write on the interwebz can be found, by someone, and tied back to you. If you're uncomfortable having things out there, then don't post 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Ahh, you do realise that Google indexes boards content, so even if Boards removed the functionality, it would still be available anyway. And they''re not goigg to stop Google having access, because it's advertising that pays (some of) the bills to keep boards running.

In short - assume that everything you write on the interwebz can be found, by someone, and tied back to you. If you're uncomfortable having things out there, then don't post 'em.

Yeah I know what you're saying, but it's how easily accessible it is that I've issues with.. Anyway, it can't be changed so there's no point arguing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

That's the nature of the internet. Be careful what you put out there, cause it's out there forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It doesn't really matter that the function is part of boards: https://www.google.ie/search?q=hotfail.com+site%3Awww.boards.ie&oq=hotfail.com+site%3Awww.boards.ie&aqs=chrome..69i57.6183j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8

It's worryingly trivial to track down a hell of a lot of information about a person if you know their username and what websites they frequent and they have been liberal with what they've been talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If you post it, own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Your best option is probably to go down the disposable username route.

Open an account and as soon as you feel there's too much info in your previous posts, close it up and start again.

I would think people would be less inclined to snoop around closed accounts.

Advertisement