Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price of getting tyres fitted...

• 23-07-2014 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

I called a garage today to enquire about how much it'd cost to put on two new tyres (Tiger 800, tubeless). I would supply the tyres.

I said I could bring just the wheels, depending on price. Then they quoted 40e if I bring just the wheels, or 70e if I bring the whole bike.

That includes balancing and disposal (he said disposal was 10e)...

Price WITH the bike seems very high. I reckon he just wanted me to bring the wheels only, which I could understand. I probably shouldn't have suggested it.

What's a normal price for this? It's been years since I changed tyres.

I'm not stingy, I'm just curious. I'd rather bring the bike somewhere for 40e, or even 50e, than have to get a lift of 50km (roundtrip) off someone, and delay them while they're fitted (I've no car).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

I had €20 per wheel on the bike, €10 per wheel off the bike. No mention of a disposal fee, included balancing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

DubVelo wrote: »
    I had €20 per wheel on the bike, €10 per wheel off the bike. No mention of a disposal fee, included balancing.
    Do tell please, where was this at DubVelo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I got bikeworld to do my last ones. €50 on the bike including disposal and balance. Specificly asked them to balance them. They didn't balance them :mad:
    Don't go to bikeworld

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Who doesn't balance a wheel...that's just dumb, you'd always notice it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Its a killer knowing how much you can save when buying tyres online but then been charged upwards of €40 to fit them. I recently got tyres supplied and fitted for €280 but when I checked online I could buy the tyres for about €210.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

€10 per wheel, local tyre centre.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

rat_race wrote: »
    Who doesn't balance a wheel...that's just dumb, you'd always notice it...

I know. "We balance every tyre" was the reply when I asked after I dropped it in.
    Then a few days later I was on the motorway and noticed a big shake in the front. Was going touring the next day and didn't have time to drop it back to bikeworld, got a local guy to do it.
    TBH, in future I'm just going to order my tyres from Mototechnic and get them to fit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭phatony

Its actually easier than you think to fit them yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

phatony wrote: »
    Its actually easier than you think to fit them yourself!

and balance them on your knee? :) well its not that easy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Bikerguy wrote: »
    Balancing isn't that hard.
    Manual balancer some stick on lead weights, half an hour.
    Developing your skills - Priceless!

• Advertisement

Static balancing method is feasible for diyer, or can ask tyre fitter for assembled wheels that you bring in to be balanced due to a "problem" and not mention you fitted yourself.

DIY static balancing can be done on the bike. I have seen this done. I guess it involves effectively using your bike wheel bearings in place of the diy improvised equipment described here.

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=48000.0

i am not going into argue here... but for balancing you need much more then wd40... if you guys wanna do it yourself.. fair play to you.. what i was saying is that 40e or 50e for fitting + balancing tyres aint so bad....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

what i was saying is that 40e or 50e for fitting + balancing tyres aint so bad....

Not crazy but it's on the very high end.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

I get all my tyres done in Cotters. Would always recommend them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Its f8cking crazy that I can buy tires from any QuickFit etc for my car and not be charged for fitting, and €8-€10 for puncture repairs then I go to a motorcycle shop and I'm arse raped for fitting of the tires and puncture repains.

I was recently charged €30 for a reartire puncture repair at NDM ~ I won't be returning for another arse raping.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Its f8cking crazy that I can buy tires from any QuickFit etc for my car and not be charged for fitting, and €8-€10 for puncture repairs then I go to a motorcycle shop and I'm arse raped for fitting of the tires and puncture repains.

I was recently charged €30 for a reartire puncture repair at NDM ~ I won't be returning for another arse raping.

Staying away from that place will serve you well . Just my 2 cents !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

leppla wrote: »

Couldnt agree more....your lucky they had the chewing gum in stock to repair it!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I pad 20€ the other day for a rear tube & tyre. Thought it was a fair price cos I did it myself before and it was a tough job with tyre levers and bare hands and I destroyed a tube in the process too. To have it done and right and no hassle is worth that.
    I guess the add-on when you bring the whole bike is for removing the wheels which depending on the bike can be a bit of work too what with brakes and chain.

Boskowski wrote: »
    I pad 20€ the other day for a rear tube & tyre. Thought it was a fair price cos I did it myself before and it was a tough job with tyre levers and bare hands and I destroyed a tube in the process too. To have it done and right and no hassle is worth that.
    I guess the add-on when you bring the whole bike is for removing the wheels which depending on the bike can be a bit of work too what with brakes and chain.
    Especially Deauvilles. Those things are murder to change the rear tyre on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭positron

I paid €45 to change front and rear Dublin, on bike, including disposal etc. I think he balanced the wheels too, but I am not sure.

For balancing issues in general - wouldn't it easier to pour some gloop or something similar anti-puncture thing which will auto balance the wheel as well as saving you from punctures?

• Advertisement

Tyre sealants are OK but they won't fix a cut or split.
    plus if you do need a puncture fixed they have to be cleaned out of the tyre first.

At that price, they should at least have whipped you with the tyre rubber inner tube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

leppla wrote: »

I disagree with you, although I was sickened by the price of a repair the workshops has a brilliant reputation for their work.

I certainly won't be going back for a puncture repair though!.

Boskowski wrote: »
    Actually, paid €20 for a tube fitted to a 600 silverwing, which I assume isn't the easiest bike to work on either.

30e for a puncture fix... lol what a ripp off... NDM strikes again. How can you even ask for that money...

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

I disagree with you, although I was sickened by the price of a repair the workshops has a brilliant reputation for their work.

I certainly won't be going back for a puncture repair though!.

They have a brilliant reputation at the moment I will give them that.

Their prices and work however May not be so brilliant.
    And as for their customer service . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

positron wrote: »

For balancing issues in general - wouldn't it easier to pour some gloop or something similar anti-puncture thing which will auto balance the wheel as well as saving you from punctures?

I had some of this in a car years ago and it wasn't any good for balancing, in fact it was worst as for the first few km of any journey it felt like I'd the cheapest unbalanced tyres possible, so I wouldn't like riding a bike with unbalanced wheels and that stuff in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭positron

I heard from multiple sources and recently one of the Delboy's garage videos that it works as balancing.. Do they not work in the same principle as balancing beads?

0000-counteract-tire-balancing-beads---.jpg

Delboy's garage video on how to use Goop. I find rest of his videos really helpful too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buZK0w2Wszc

Advertisement