Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online educational websites

• 23-07-2014 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Did ye use alot of websites to help ye in school? What do ye think of the use of paid educational websites? Esp leaving cert? For or against? I see some charge 100 euro a year membership and others 30 euro a month.

Which 1 is the best? I always feel like they are missing something but what is it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭loveemmaxxxx

Skoool.ie is very good and also studyclix. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

They're all pretty sh*te to be honest. Why do people always seek quick fixes like these websites. Just sit down and do the work or get grinds. Generally websites and revision books aren't very helpful to be honest. A lot of them are designed to get you a pass.

Also, the best notes you'll ever learn from are your own. Get a notebook and take notes from what the teacher is saying especially if they teach using a slideshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭neutralvu

thelad95 wrote: »
    They're all pretty sh*te to be honest. Why do people always seek quick fixes like these websites. Just sit down and do the work or get grinds. Generally websites and revision books aren't very helpful to be honest. A lot of them are designed to get you a pass.

Also, the best notes you'll ever learn from are your own. Get a notebook and take notes from what the teacher is saying especially if they teach using a slideshow.

You contradicted yourself there by saying "or get grinds" grinds are 30 euro an hour, websites would be cheaper but attending grinds = using a website really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭flump_master

neutralvu wrote: »
    attending grinds = using a website really.

Not really, as great as some online resources are they can't replace a qualified teacher in a focused environment. Hence the premium over web based material

The stuff a lot of websites sell is designed to appeal to the freaked out 6th year looking for a quick fix, imho it's not worth it. Make your own notes, it's the best skill you'll take from the LC. Maybe use some free online notes to add to them (I stress free, there's loads out there). But for féck sake don't just print them all off and say you know the course, I knew too many people who did that this year :rolleyes:

Maybe check out the stick on useful links op, you might find stuff there

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭neutralvu

Not really, as great as some online resources are they can't replace a qualified teacher in a focused environment. Hence the premium over web based material

The stuff a lot of websites sell is designed to appeal to the freaked out 6th year looking for a quick fix, imho it's not worth it. Make your own notes, it's the best skill you'll take from the LC. Maybe use some free online notes to add to them (I stress free, there's loads out there). But for féck sake don't just print them all off and say you know the course, I knew too many people who did that this year :rolleyes:

Maybe check out the stick on useful links op, you might find stuff there

You mean they were buying membership to sites just to download the notes? What do you think of the videos over the notes approach? as in watching the vids these sites have and taking notes as you go?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭flump_master

More like finding notes for free and printing folders worth of them off. Kids with the best filing system in Ireland who couldn't understand why they were failing ("But I have NOTES!")

Videos are good, I used khan academy a lot for chemistry and physics to get a more in depth understanding of things. But just be aware that it's easy to switch off and miss half the video because you zoned out

Look- all in all it comes down to keeping your head screwed on. Don't pay for access to the site unless you're getting your moneys worth- keep in mind a lot of teachers get free access to promote them and might be willing to give you notes or tell you if you should hand over your money for the stuff.Seriously though- making your own notes is by far the best option

What subjects are you taking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

neutralvu wrote: »
    You contradicted yourself there by saying "or get grinds" grinds are 30 euro an hour, websites would be cheaper but attending grinds = using a website really.

Then you don't understand what a grind is. A grind allows a student to ask specific questions about the problem they're having. A website is some information presented in a number of formats that doesn't necessarily answer the students questions or help them understand the topic.

It sounds to me based on the fact that you're asking this on the Teaching forum and that you were on the forum asking about Garda vetting for the Teaching Council a few months back that you are a new teacher trying to make a quick buck out of students.

Advertisement