Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackcurrant cider?

Options
  • 23-07-2014 5:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

Just colleceted a bumper crop of blackcurants and i'm wondering what to do with them.

Not into making wine so i usually make flavoured vodka.

However i'm now tempted to make a cider-type drink using Blackcurrant juice instead of apples...anybody tried it? Is it worth doing?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I just started a blackcurrant melomel, or fruit mead. You could also make a cyser, using a mixture of apple and blackcurrant juices with honey.

I guess you could use the blackcurrant juice as a straight substitute for apple juice; I guess it would be described as a country wine. I haven't done it (I have a gorse flower wine on the go, but it has honey in it so I guess it's a melomel as well) so I can't tell you how it would turn out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Feck it i'll give it a bash...gonna add lots of sugar and a champagne yeast..i'll prolly need to sweeten it up at some stage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

chopper6 wrote: »
    Feck it i'll give it a bash...gonna add lots of sugar and a champagne yeast..i'll prolly need to sweeten it up at some stage though.

Really interested in this -the folks have a loada blackcurrents growing down in their place and want to put them to use.

Keep us posted!

Actually does anybody have a spare demijohn with a bung?

My fermenter is way too big.

I'm in Dublin nth

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Actually does anybody have a spare demijohn with a bung?

My fermenter is way too big.

I'm in Dublin nth

buy a 5 litres bottle of water in your local supermarket - it's only 1.50
    you don't need a bung.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

loyatemu wrote: »
    you don't need a bung.

That's exactly what I did. I thought I left plenty of headspace, but the activity of the yeast combined with all the floating solids meant a fair bit of overflow - good thing I listened to Her Indoors when she suggested leaving it in the sink for the first couple of days!

Right. So i simmered a few kilos of blackcurrants *very slowly* with a load of sugar and a small amount of water to extract the juice.

Then strained the pulp through a collander into a demi-john. I didnt quite have 5 litres of juice so i made it up with water.

I added some champagne yeast and fitted the airlock...it was quite slow to start fermenting but it really took off after a few days and it's bubbling away nicely now.

I'm gonna wait til there's no more activity in the airlock then rack i t into some bottles.

I've been very unscientific about the whole thing(as usual) and didnt meaure anything at all really and i havnt got a hydrometer so the only way to tell when it's ready is when it stops bubbling.

I'll update on progress soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I'm facinated do let us know how it turns out
    you don't need a bung.

Thats sounds a startling simple idea and sorry to come across as a bit stupid but why don't you need a bung/airtrap?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

just leave the lid loosely on to keep out flies. fermentation releases CO2 which will keep out other nasties.

I'm facinated do let us know how it turns out

Thats sounds a startling simple idea and sorry to come across as a bit stupid but why don't you need a bung/airtrap?

I like to use an airlock to stop vinegar fly getting into the brew...you *can* use a lid but with fruit wines you're more likely to get insects being attracted to it than with beer.

A couple of vinegar flies will destroy your brew and it's fit for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

just leave the lid loosely on to keep out flies. fermentation releases CO2 which will keep out other nasties.
    I like to use an airlock to stop vinegar fly getting into the brew...you *can* use a lid but with fruit wines you're more likely to get insects being attracted to it than with beer.

A couple of vinegar flies will destroy your brew and it's fit for nothing.

Since these last couple of posts I came across these on CraigTube

http://homebrewingcaps.com/home-brew-order/

I thought for the price, 10 squids, I'd give them a go. Anyone use them?

Advertisement