Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Condition alert on car report

• 23-07-2014 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi guys, any help on this would be great

So I just checked up on a car that I was hopefully going to buy tomorrow and got a condition alert under write off and condition data.

I'm going to get it checked out by a mechanic anyway and it has it's NCT but can anyone tell me what this might be or could it be anything?

Should I even bother getting it checked out by a mechanic? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Hi guys, any help on this would be great

So I just checked up on a car that I was hopefully going to buy tomorrow and got a condition alert under write off and condition data.

I'm going to get it checked out by a mechanic anyway and it has it's NCT but can anyone tell me what this might be or could it be anything?

Should I even bother getting it checked out by a mechanic? :confused:

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack Skellington

RossieMan wrote: »
    No.

Do you mind explaining I'm a car noob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

If there's even a small chance a car has been wrote off, it should send you running for the hills. Don't see the point wasting time getting it looked at.

I presume you paid to have a look at the history of the car?

Yeh paid 35 euro for the check which I'm glad I did now, it just says may have been subject to an insurance write off, anyway I don't think I'll be going any further with it so many thanks for the reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It depends on the car and the nature of the write off. A car will be considered to be an economic write off if the cost of repairs is something like 60% of the value of the car, so for a cheaper car this could mean relatively minor cosmetic damage. If the car has been repaired properly, the seller is open and honest about this, and the price reflects the write off then I wouldnt necessarily say walk away immediately. Just get it properly checked over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

bear in mind re-selling it will be hard

djimi wrote: »
    It depends on the car and the nature of the write off. A car will be considered to be an economic write off if the cost of repairs is something like 60% of the value of the car, so for a cheaper car this could mean relatively minor cosmetic damage. If the car has been repaired properly, the seller is open and honest about this, and the price reflects the write off then I wouldnt necessarily say walk away immediately. Just get it properly checked over.

Cheers for that, ended up saying no thanks anyway, it may have been something minor but I'm not in a rush really, can hold out for something better.

Advertisement