Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another houseplant i/d wanted - anybody know this one?

• 23-07-2014 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭

I have never known what this one is...it was bought as a baby from Death Row in Woodies, where they sell off the terminal cases for a couple of quid or even less. It had no name...poor sick unwanted orphan!

As you can see its height is now as shown, measured against the dishwasher:
    the leaflets are ribbonlike with slightly wavy edges, and there are tiny thorns at intervals along the stems.

Anybody know what it is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Came to the conclusion that it is some kind of Bamboo. Remotely, could be some kind of Palm but I think bamboo.

Now then, does anyone know if I can divide it to make two plants? The stems all seem to be bunched up close together and the pot is a mass of roots, some of which have kind of swellings on them.
    (Rhizomes/tubers/bulbs?)
    Bamboo pages often mention Culms - are these things "culms"?

I'm normally pretty confident with houseplants and Know quite a bit about them: but I feel insecure not knowing what this is or how to look it up in a book or website, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The gardening committee here decided it was a close relative of an asparagus fern, so a little research established (to our satisfaction) it was an Asparagus Falcatus, aka sicklethorn. Kept us entertained for 10 minutes anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Thank you very much!! Sounds right - or close - the leaves are not sickle-shaped, though; but everything else matches.

I wonder if I could plant it outdoors!! These African plants don't always stand frost but some do.

It certainly sounds like I could divide the plant, anyway.

If I was a bookmaker, I would still offer very long odds on it maybe turning out a bamboo...but Asparagus Falcatus would be favourite!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think its the thorns that are sickle shaped :-)

Advertisement