Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumia Recommendations 530/630/635

• 23-07-2014 8:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a replacement for my aging MP3 player as well as my old Nokia brick.

What would you guys recommend?

The 530 seems solid but I like that the 635 has a slot for an 128GB SD.
    Is it worth the extra 20 odd quid?

I won't really use the phone a whole lot for calling, texts or even data so I'm sticking with pay as you go. I'd probably stick with my old phone except I need a new music player.

I can't see a huge difference between the 630 and 635 but they have the latter on the Vodafone website and an offer for 20 quid off if you switch (I'm currently with Meteor).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The 635 is compatible with 4G so will be faster speeds for browsing if you want to get a plan with 4G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

The 530 is not out yet (just announced yesterday), but it will be able to accommodate an SD card also. Will have a nifty-looking shell case though - http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/lumia530/. Looks like it's 3G only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

PaulieC wrote: »
    The 530 is not out yet (just announced yesterday), but it will be able to accommodate an SD card also. Will have a nifty-looking shell case though - http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/lumia530/. Looks like it's 3G only.

I think I read that it's out next month some time.
    I had thought that the 530 only had a slot for 64GB but I checked there and they're both 128.
    Davy wrote: »
    The 635 is compatible with 4G so will be faster speeds for browsing if you want to get a plan with 4G.

I'd probably only use about €20 credit every 3 months with my current phone.

So I really don't want to be paying much for data every month.

I'll probably have to wait a month or so but if the prices mooted are accurate the 530 is nearly half the price of the 635 while delivering everything I want.

I'll probably go with that so (at some point next month hopefully). Thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I would go for the 630 so if thats all you need you can get if for 80 euro if you have a code nice colour in orange on 02 or try cpw for sim free ..

jimmynokia wrote: »
    I would go for the 630 so if thats all you need you can get if for 80 euro if you have a code nice colour in orange on 02 or try cpw for sim free ..

That's a pretty good deal actually.

Slightly better battery life, bigger screen, more memory and not having to wait around for a month is a pretty good deal for 20 quid more.

What's the story with the different providers?
    If I don't use any credit I suppose it won't make a huge difference?

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    That's a pretty good deal actually.

Slightly better battery life, bigger screen, more memory and not having to wait around for a month is a pretty good deal for 20 quid more.

What's the story with the different providers?
    If I don't use any credit I suppose it won't make a huge difference?

No credit is more or less equal plus remember the option to use wifi,02 are the cheapest atm for the 630 plus its much bette looking in orange than boring black.

No credit is more or less equal plus remember the option to use wifi,02 are the cheapest atm for the 630 plus its much bette looking in orange than boring black.

I'll go for that so. Thanks for the tip.

I'll go for that so. Thanks for the tip.

Welcome..

I got my 630. Loving it so far.

I went into the O2 shop to move my numbers over and they told me that I shouldn't get a 128GB SD card.

The guy at the counter said that you should always get the card below the maximum size because it damages phone.

Is there any truth to that at all?

I got my 630. Loving it so far.

I went into the O2 shop to move my numbers over and they told me that I shouldn't get a 128GB SD card.

The guy at the counter said that you should always get the card below the maximum size because it damages phone.

It would be an overkill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

A memory card cannot damage your phone in any way. It either works or it doesn't.

Search online and see which brands of memory card are known to work - don't assume all of them will.

Just curious, why did you have to go to a phone shop to move your numbers over?

theothernt wrote: »
    A memory card cannot damage your phone in any way. It either works or it doesn't.

Search online and see which brands of memory card are known to work - don't assume all of them will.

Just curious, why did you have to go to a phone shop to move your numbers over?

The lumia is my first smartphone.

The lumia is my first smartphone.

Understood. If you have an email account to use on the phone (Outlook, Gmail, etc), then all your contacts should be added to that service. So, in future, if you buy another device (Lumia, iPhone, etc), all of your contacts, etc will follow you when you sign in on that device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

With regards to your SD card, it is recommended to get between a class 6 SDHC to class 10 SDHC. If it is below a class 6, your phone will tell you that it does not support that speed.

They are fairly cheap everywhere from stores to online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its hard to compare them but I'd say the order of the phones is...

530<520<630<635<625

The difference between the 635 and 625 is very close and could be the other way around depending on the features you want.

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/April2014/nokia-lumia-635-versus-nokia-lumia-625-what-are-the-differences.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

I've got the option for an upgrade from work and the Lumias available to me are 520/630/635/820/1320.

Anyone got any advice on which to go for?

Thanks

stevemc01 wrote: »
    I've got the option for an upgrade from work and the Lumias available to me are 520/630/635/820/1320.

Have you had a look at the details of any of these devices?

The 520 is the cheapest and smaller, the 1320 is quite large, the 820 is decent but old (its successor is just about to be announced) - for example.

Yes, I've checked all the specs of each of them and have seen the handsets for the 520 and 635.

My concerns are as follows:-

520 Budget with only 512mb ram will this be powerful enough.

635 looks good but again only 512mb ram, will this be an issue?

820 is an older model but looks good and has 1024mb ram.

1320 bigger phone/screen, newer than 520/820, has 1024mb ram but have read that the graphics/display isn't as sharp as smaller screens.

I'm not very techncal so am I looking at this wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Yes, I've checked all the specs of each of them and have seen the handsets for the 520 and 635.

My concerns are as follows:-

520 Budget with only 512mb ram will this be powerful enough.

635 looks good but again only 512mb ram, will this be an issue?

820 is an older model but looks good and has 1024mb ram.

1320 bigger phone/screen, newer than 520/820, has 1024mb ram but have read that the graphics/display isn't as sharp as smaller screens.

I'm not very techncal so am I looking at this wrong?

From Experience with these handsets
    • 520: This is a great entry level phone. It runs 8.1 and Cortana very well, very little noticeable lag or that. The screen can be a bit tough to see outside on a bright, sunny day, but luckily we live in Ireland so shouldn't have that problem too often.
      The camera isn't fantastic, but is OK for a quick point an click.
      The 512MB RAM isn't a problem for most apps and day to day tasks, only if you're going for heavy 3D games and the like will you run into issues.
      Great phone for intro to Windows Phone 8, especially if you can pick it up for €50 or so.
    • 635: This is in essence the proper successor to the 520. It is generally kitted out with newer bits and pieces and you'll notice the difference in that regard - otherwise the advice about 512MB still stands, for most apps it won't make a huge difference. WP8 is more streamlined in places than Android and doesn't need as much RAM to run on a low end device.
    • 820: This is an older phone. In general it's decent, the battery isn't fantastic, the screen is good and the camera is OK. The proper successor to this (the 830) is about to be announced / launched shortly if you can hold your nerve. This will have a much improved camera and better specs.
    • 1320: Unfortunately, I haven't much experience with this, but when you start getting to phones of this size I start to find them unwieldy so I haven't been tempted to try it.

Just my experience, but hope it helps give some sort of guidance.

If you are a big gamer and want the latest games and apps as soon as possible buy the one with the most RAM. Though in reality you should probably buy a Apple or Android if that is you. Since many things just aren't on WP, and certainly a long time after IOS and DROID.

Otherwise most things run with 512mb, very few don't. Often they rewrite them to make them work. As 512mb devices are probably more than 50% of the market for WP. The 520 being the best selling device. It make sense to make them work with those devices.

Depends what kind of user you are though. If you are a power user or a light user. I haven't noticed any RAM issue with the 520 but them I'm not a gamer and just a light user.

• Advertisement

Not a gamer, just need it for calls, texts, pick up work and personal emails and a bit of facebook/twitter

Not a gamer, just need it for calls, texts, pick up work and personal emails and a bit of facebook/twitter

I'd say your choice will be down to the 820 and 1320, the 1320 is a big 6" phone - if you know anyone with a Galaxy Note, it's a similar size.

And as has been mentioned before, the 830 might be announced next week.

Then any of them should be fine. Personally the lowest I would go is the 630. Better battery than then 520, tiny bit better screen, much nicer shape in the hand. Bigger screen. After that more you pay the better you get.

Forget the 820 and 520 i would go for either the 635 or 1320 if you are on budget wait for the 530 perhaps. Been using a 530 a while now its nice but not great..

Forget the 820 and 520 i would go for either the 635 or 1320 if you are on budget wait for the 530 perhaps. Been using a 530 a while now its nice but not great..

The 530 seems "to me" to be a lower end phone than the 520. The 630 would be a closer to the 520.

beauf wrote: »
    The 530 seems "to me" to be a lower end phone than the 520. The 630 would be a closer to the 520.

Well it would be lower but something to consider pending budget conscious folk,its nice but to low end for me as a daily driver.Handy for a spare though.

I think its a competitor of the Moto "E".

Main thing that bugs me on the 520 is the poor visibility in any sort of bright sunlight. The 630 only is slightly better. That said a lot of the low end androids are the same. The OS though is so much faster on low end Windows phones than low end androids.

I left it up to the boss and he's ordered me a 930. I take it that's a good bit better than the others?

Yup. Nice phone.

• Advertisement

I left it up to the boss and he's ordered me a 930. I take it that's a good bit better than the others?

Yeah, that's one of the top Lumia phones.

Advertisement