Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much is too much and how much is too little for an engagement ring

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

marie12 wrote: »
    There's a lovely ring in swarovski at the moment 50eu. It's just as nice as others I've seen. Who really cares about real gold, stones, etc ? Is it that important at the end of the day?

It kind of is if you want to wear the ring daily for the rest of your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭marie12

There's a lovely ring in swarovski at the moment 50eu. It's just as nice as others I've seen. Who really cares about real gold, stones, etc ? Is it that important at the end of the day?

It kind of is if you want to wear the ring daily for the rest of your life.

Durability is a factor. I'd be more concerned about durability of more important things but that's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

marie12 wrote: »
    Durability is a factor. I'd be more concerned about durability of more important things but that's just me.

Just because you don't rate an engagement ring as important doesn't mean others don't think it's very important. My husband could've spent a lot more on my ring but that doesn't mean I don't think the proposal and engagement were very important.

lazygal wrote: »
    Just because you don't rate an engagement ring as important doesn't mean others don't think it's very important. My husband could've spent a lot more on my ring but that doesn't mean I don't think the proposal and engagement were very important.

Exactly, it's what the ring symbolises. Any ring will symbolise what you want it to. Regardless of price.
    I don't conform to the norm I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

A few years back, when I was young(er) and foolish(er), I let my then-fiance spend 2.5k or thereabouts on an engagement ring. I ended up selling it a couple of years ago for around a fifth of the price.

What made it worse was that I'm not even into jewellery, at all, hardly ever wore any jewellery, apart from that ring! But we had this idea that an engagement ring was a must, and he had heard about the "one months salary" rule ...

I would honestly have been just as happy with a cheap ring from Swarovski or whatever. And at least then I wouldn't have been so concerned about "minding" it all the time.

In fact, for holidays and nights out, I used to wear a huge massive blingy Claires Accessories ring that cost me all of a fiver - and got loads of compliments on it! :D

If you're really into jewellery, an expensive ring might make sense for some couples. Honestly though if I ever got engaged again, I'd either go for no ring or a relatively cheap one!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭derferjam

Could you sell it today for that price?

Excuse me but how did my question end up with you two talking about selling the ring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

PLL wrote: »
    €2,000 and below too little. In my opinion it depends how rich you are in regards to too much. Lets say for arguments sake, say we won the lotto, I personally would still think anything above €10,000 is a bit showy. That is my taste, I know friends of friends who have €20,000 rings. Some can afford them, some are in debt and it is to keep up appearances.

Out of interest why is anything less than 2000 too little. Would some people see that as an insult or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I'm talking about a bit of costume jewellery that can be bought in Dunnes for a tenner!!!

It is a big investment, no matter how much you pay for it. Even say a "cheap" ring would still be around €300. I wouldn't go out and spend that much money on any gift for my husband without being guaranteed he wanted it, loved it, and wanted it above any other gift. Surprise proposals with the perfect ring are a lovely idea. But I think these days a girl would like the chance to have a look and a say in what she is going to have on her finger for ever more (presumably!)
    bluewolf wrote: »
    I always assumed they meant something for a tenner, not "extra money".

Do people actually spent 100+ on the proposal ring ???
    That's all mental

Yeah, I find this concept of a token ring stupid, tbh, because I've heard of people spending the 100+ on the token ring. :eek: Complete waste of money! The only thing that matters when being proposed to are the words "will you marry me". You don't need a token ring to do that. Just go out and buy it later together.
    lulu1 wrote: »
    You would be mad to pay that much for a ring If I had a ring at that price I would be afraid to wear it

Why would you be afraid to wear it? It's on your finger, it's not like it's just gonna suddenly fall of it's own accord or be ripped off your finger (unless you're in certain less desirable parts of the world where crime is crazy and criminals do actually do this in certain places - in which case you are advised not to wear any jewellery when out n about).

OP, asking people's opinions on this subject is pointless. Everybody places a different value on things. People who can afford to spend more, may tell you spend X. People who can't afford to spend more (or who don't want to) will tell you to spend Y. One person might think spending €2000 on a ring is bonkers but would happily spend €2000 on a custom bicycle. Their friend might think the total opposite. Do what YOU want to do and can afford. Be realistic about it. Don't break yourself trying to spend a certain amount.

And please, for the love of god, unless your gf has stated exactly the type of ring she wants, then don't buy it yourself. Wait and go shopping together AFTER you have proposed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Agree with all the posters who say not to buy the ring as a surprise. Taste in jewellery is very subjective and hopefully she will be wearing it for the rest of her life.

There's really no need for a token ring either. Lots of people wait until after they are engaged to shop around for a ring.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

IMO 'too much' is an amount that you struggle to save, or that means you will be living hand-to-mouth in the months following the engagement. If you're using a token ring, use something that's really obviously not an engagement ring. One of my friends' fiancé proposed with something like this http://omg.wthax.org/5Rb52R.jpg He bought it in either Dunnes or M&S, can't remember which, and the two of them had a good laugh over it. My hubby proposed with a bunch of roses, I pressed 4 of them (one of each colour) and now I have them in a 4 section frame on my wall. Before that I scanned them in to the computer and used them on our invitations, mass booklet, and then the thank you cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Just to give everyone a big laugh I found a budget calculator!! No idea how they work it out
    http://www.perfectring.ie/engagement-ring-calculator/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Millem wrote: »
    Just to give everyone a big laugh I found a budget calculator!! No idea how they work it out

I should have spent nearly €7000 according to that! Ridiculous.

I really don't see the point. The ring doesn't do anything. You'd spend less on a car and look how useful a car is. I really don't see the need for thousands or even hundreds to be wrapped around one of my digits.

Each to their own but I do think a lot of people are sheep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Op aside from the cost I would hate my engagement ring to be picked for me. Jewellery is so personal and if you have to look at something you wear for the rest of your life then you had better really love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Ah shucks, I'm only worth a 3000 ring. I guess us older ladies with children aren't as valuable as they young and fancy free. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Apparently I should have a 10k ring on my finger. He spent way too little on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kevin the Kid

Ha ha that's the tackiest thing I have seen yet.
    Every shop should have one lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

of course if you wait until you're over 23, you'll be worth more! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

OP: as you've probably gathered, it's an extremely individual decision as to how much to spend on a ring. Figure out how much you're comfortable spending and plan accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Broken Strings

:D That is ridiculous.

Some of those questions don't even make sense. Why does your education background have any bearing on how much your engagement ring costs?

There are some people out there in good permanent jobs who might not have degrees and they could earn more than people with a masters. That calculator makes absolutely no sense :p

Anyway, back on topic. OP, my ring didn't cost a lot and that's how I wanted it. We are working on our house at the moment so I told my fiancee that I'd much prefer to put the money into that right now. Down the line I might go for something different but I really love the ring I got and we got it in NYC which made it extra special so I don't think i'll end up changing it at all.

Don't let anyone tell you that there is a minimum amount that you have to spend. At the end of the day, outside spectators aren't part of your day to day relationship. They aren't going to be sitting at your kitchen table 24 hours a day staring at the hand of your girlfriend so it shouldn't bother them how much it costs. Don't pander to them for fear of being judged that you didn't spend enough! You know your relationship better than anyone so trust your instincts when it comes to the cost and just do what makes you both happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭emzibob

I think I got the best of both worlds my now fiance randomly asked when passing jewelers if I liked this or that style " just for future reference if ever needed" he was surprised I think at the style I wanted which I couldn't find an exact match of but was able to describe from looking at other rings. I always said I wanted to be surprised if I ever got proposed to and I was. The little information he had meant he was confident in getting a ring made for me which I was none the ware of and got the shock of my life when he proposed! I ADORE my ring it's exactly what I wanted and couldn't find and I'd never change it no matter how much it cost because it is my ring and my proposal was so special! (he did it big romantic style :eek:).
    Other engaged friends tried to tell him not to surprise me to buy a proposal ring instead I'm so happy he didn't listen as I'm the sentimental type and would of felt strange about changing the ring I was proposed to with for another one.
    Do what you think will mean the most to your girlfriend and you, and spend accordingly. I think she'll love whatever you decide. :)

But you told him exactly what you wanted so how was the ring a surprise? I'm confused...

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭derferjam

To all me again original poster "derferjam" well I've managed to get her ring size without her realising it and via an odd question I asked I've also found that she is not one for stones... believes in the traditional but still the rose gold. . Reckons if I ever tried to buy a ring I better get her best friend to help if I want it to be a surprise but I know for a fact that they have no secrets so no way am I getting her just wreck the surprise and I'd loose some of the joy of picking that special ring...

Don't try to surprise her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭emzibob

CaraMay wrote: »
    But you told him exactly what you wanted so how was the ring a surprise? I'm confused...

He knew I wanted a square cut diamond, I had never seen the ring he got me he had it made and I didn't know I was even getting a ring so the whole thing was a surprise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭MarieOC

If ur heart is set on surprising her don't let anyone tell you otherwise. My OH picked me ring and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way - I wouldn't have liked a proposal ring and then pick my own but I'm traditional that way - it's about the only tradition we've followed!

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hmmm.

Mine says €3.5k, so I did it again, this time changing the kids option from yes to no.

€4.2K.

I gave birth to his son and heir, and this calculator deducts €700 offa me! If anything having a child should add €7,000 to the sodding ring!!! :pac:

Advertisement