Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hopeful Jockey

Options
  • 23-07-2014 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,
    I am a girl who is 16 years old. I am 5foot 10 and I weigh 60kg. I want to be a jockey so badly and I know I won't be able to do flat racing and my weight is fine for jump. I rode out with a trainer ever Saturday for 6 months. I have been riding ponys for many years. I can manage quiet racehorses on the gallop easily. I have never jumped on a racehorse. I want to learn how to do everything else but I can't find a course that will teach. Anybody know anywhere in Ireland I can learn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Hihihihi wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am a girl who is 16 years old. I am 5foot 10 and I weigh 60kg. I want to be a jockey so badly and I know I won't be able to do flat racing and my weight is fine for jump. I rode out with a trainer ever Saturday for 6 months. I have been riding ponys for many years. I can manage quiet racehorses on the gallop easily. I have never jumped on a racehorse. I want to learn how to do everything else but I can't find a course that will teach. Anybody know anywhere in Ireland I can learn

Have you tried race in Kildare town? Www.racingacademy.ie
    Are you trying to make a career from it now or do you want to finish your schooling first??

Was there a reason why you didn't jump any of the race horses you previously rode out.?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hihihihi

I'm too heavy to do race and I want to get my amature licence first because I'm in 4th year in school and I have plenty of time. And it was probably because I didn't have enough experience yet and they don't jumps horses on Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I'm too heavy to do race and I want to get my amature licence first because I'm in 4th year in school and I have plenty of time. And it was probably because I didn't have enough experience yet and they don't jumps horses on Saturdays.

Right o.
    what part of country are you in.
    Is there any more trainers in your area who may take you on

I'm in Limerick. I would prefer to do a course or bootcamp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

The only course that will give you the experience you need is in RACE. They have Open Days, as well as being quite approachable, so if you can't make an Open Day, do contact them and see what advice they can offer you for gaining experience.

Another option (and this comes with the caveat that I'm hopeless at matching heights and healthy weights), but is there any way you could drop 3kgs so you could at least apply for the course? Perhaps contact a nutritionist and see what they say re. a healthy weight for you.

There are quite a few trainers and point-to-point handlers in Limerick, so you could contact a few and see if they're willing to give you some more experience riding out and schooling horses. Coming from a racing background, some of what I say may sound harsh, but having gone through the Turf Club courses to gain my licence, these are things that you will need to bear in mind:

Being able to control a quiet horse on the gallop is not enough. You will need to be able to ride and control a horse that gets up on its toes, dances, will throw a buck, and will pull the arms out of you because it wants to go in front (I've seen trainers get run away with on these horses at home, so they do exist). Also, the horses at RACE are not all that quiet, and some pull, dance, buck, etc. when out on the gallops and over fences .

With regard to jumping race horses: unless you have an absolute school master, a lot of trainers may be very reluctant to put a novice rider up to school a horse. Schooling race horses over fences is totally different to schooling horses/ponies for jumping. Horses need to be able to judge their distances quite far out and at speed, and this is a very different experience for a rider if they're not used to it. It's not something that everyone takes to, or enjoys, and horses who are jumping in that manner need to have someone confident and experienced school them so that they're perfect for race day. A mistake at just one fence can cost them the race. Also, from a riding point of view, the way you balance yourself jumping at speed is a little different, so you don't get a fall if a horse makes a mistake or pecks on landing. If there's a trainer near you who has old or retired horses, then they may be willing to give you some experience jumping them as they've done it all and can give you the experience you need.

Also, what about pony racing? A lot of people who have their licence got experience there first before applying for their licence. They also have races for horses at these meetings. See here for more details: http://www.irishhorseandponyracing.com/

You can still apply for an amateur licence if you don't have the experience of jumping. You can get an A1 licence which restricts you to bumpers (i.e. flat races for amateurs). You won't have to jump on the day of the course, even though some of the others may be doing it to get their point-to-point licence. See www.turfclub.ie for information on the types of licenses, the course requirements, etc. However, when applying, you will be asked for your experience and 2 references from licensed trainers as to your ability.

Finally, and this is something to think about after you get your licence, will you be able to get rides in bumpers once you have your licence? Do you know someone who has horses who will give you a ride? Or do you family have a horse you could ride? The only reason I mention it is because there is a rule which requires you to do a reassessment if you didn't have 3 rides in the preceding season. And that will cost another 150 euro at least. So just something to bear in mind.

Also, I'm assuming if you're in Transition year, you're probably around 16? That's still very young, so you could realistically spend another 2 years getting more experience before you finish school so your application would look much stronger. You'd also be that little bit stronger, which would help.

None of the above is meant to put you off getting your licence, but it is important that you bear it all in mind before applying for your licence. I have an amateur licence for point-to-points, and I absolutely love it. There is no better feeling in the world than racing and if it's something you want to try, then go ahead and try it, don't have any regrets, but do think through everything before you apply.

• Advertisement

Thank you so much. I'm just wondering if you do point to pointing, how did you start riding? And when and how did you start jumping? I was going to go the the British racing school but the course was longer than a year. I am too heavy to do the RACE academy. I applied to jockey file but they could not afford to keep running it. I also applied to the bootcamp in pelletstown meaty but they did not get enough numbers.if I get my licence my dad has plenty of horses I could ride and 2 of my uncles are trainers. Also I have been speaking with my mother about pony racing and we have been to them as my brother did them and got his licence. I asked about the weight and its 8kg. I'm hoping to get to 9kg by spring and my mother said she would buy me a fit horse that I could do the horse and pony racing on as my uncle knows people with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

convert wrote: »
    Another option (and this comes with the caveat that I'm hopeless at matching heights and healthy weights), but is there any way you could drop 3kgs so you could at least apply for the course? Perhaps contact a nutritionist and see what they say re. a healthy weight for you.

Just a quick note to say I'm the same height and have never been over 9stone (57kg) so I would say it's fine, as long as the OP is already a heavy build. I've been 50 kg whilst still healthy (never on purpose, I should add) so I think you may be safe enough to lose 3kg

Thank you so much. I'm just wondering if you do point to pointing, how did you start riding? And when and how did you start jumping?

I'm from a horsey family so I started riding when I was 2, jumping shortly after, so I never remember having to 'learn' how to do any of the basics. I started riding TBs full time when I was 14, and started schooling 'racing style' about then, too.
    .if I get my licence my dad has plenty of horses I could ride and 2 of my uncles are trainers.

If you have so many relatives in the industry, then surely they'd be able to give you experience riding out and schooling, so they may be able to give you some instruction, too, so you mightn't need to go on a course.

I want to go to my uncles but I'm scared that they will expect me to be better tha. What I am. I also have evented and have done many years of hunter trials. The actual jumping is fine it's just I've never jumped on a tb. There is a trainer 15 minutes away who trains NH and p2P horses. My mother is going to contact him. My mother is getti in contact with a few trainers to see if any of them would teach me. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I want to go to my uncles but I'm scared that they will expect me to be better tha. What I am. I also have evented and have done many years of hunter trials. The actual jumping is fine it's just I've never jumped on a tb. There is a trainer 15 minutes away who trains NH and p2P horses. My mother is going to contact him. My mother is getti in contact with a few trainers to see if any of them would teach me. Fingers crossed!

A TB is a horse with a Head, neck , 4 legs, a tail and a body just like any other. Jumping a 1/2bred , Draught, Connemara or TB envolves exactly the same thing. Horse leaves the ground.
    Dont get so wrapped up who the Horse gets his passport from. If you have done all you listed off then riding a horse which gets its breeding recorded in the Wetherbys Stud Books is not going to bother you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

if you've evented and hunter trialled you should be fine… i went from hunting to riding flappers (pony racing) with relative ease. just a little fyi that if you are going to be campaigning a horse owned by yourself on the pony racing circuit there is nothing to stop you putting up overweight. it would be invaluable experience but be warned that it is a bit more rough and tumble than riding on the track….. And you will get squeezed up a bit when you start going for gaps.

I find racehorses easier to ride than a strong half bred…. Them fcukers can buck for sport but the tbs usually tire quicker.
    maybe buy an ex racehorse (one with brakes) and hunt him??

i
    the tbs usually tire quicker.

Wow, I've never found that. I've always loved hunting TBs for the very reason that you never get to the bottom of them and still have the same horse under you at the end of the day! :)

Advertisement