Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dock road mural

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

phog wrote: »
    Were mine in post #37 not good enough for you :(

I've seen some from a photographer that seems to use a drone or something to take aerial shots of them. Unfortunately I can't remember his twitter handle

Yer missin one or two! ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This would be a good excuse for a new Photos of Limerick thread. A lot of the pictures in the old thread are no longer hosted!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

catallus wrote: »
    I think it would look rather cool if they coloured it in.

May not have been finished at the time..

10533731_10202956775614610_2293853331666879486_n.jpg?oh=5f3c0b7f676752b7c8ec8437c94d4c7a&oe=544E99AC

Is it just me?

I'm not good with a camera, and am not knocking anyone here who went to the effort of photographing them all. Fair play to you.
    Would folk mind if I did a blog post on the murals? I would credit who took the photos etc?
    Nobody will ever find my blog posts anyhow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

It's Tony Grehan who operates the Drone taking the videos.

This was uploaded yesterday. Awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Saw the little town garden type thingy on Thomas Street yesterday , what a great idea . It's another piece I'd like to see there on a permanent basis .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

vkid wrote: »
    I think its fantastic. Very striking and I'm usually a critic of a lot of arty farty stuff. Some of the street art around Limerick is very impressive IMO.

I agree, I visit Limerick on occasion and only last week I was saying to the other half that there's been a huge change in the city in the last few months.

I love visiting Limerick city, you've some of the best pubs and compared to Dublin have almost no scum drug dealers hanging around your main streets ~ well done Limerick.

The place is looking great at the moment, well deserved too and I hope its kept up. Limerick doesn't deserve the negative press the media shoves onto you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Some of the pieces have already been damaged by the weather. A good chunk of one on Mallow street is already missing and the one on the dock road is falling apart too. Massive shame. Hadn't thought about the longevity of them before.

EDIT - just spotted this on le facebook.

10561582_934856706529391_537609578404873231_n.jpg?oh=eec33a73ed5d5400d2a169ae91517804&oe=5480A5A2&__gda__=1415250037_98cef4f73f921cf2b01aa758b0f835b6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

roast wrote: »
    Some of the pieces have already been damaged by the weather. A good chunk of one on Mallow street is already missing and the one on the dock road is falling apart too. Massive shame. Hadn't thought about the longevity of them before.

EDIT - just spotted this on le facebook.

10561582_934856706529391_537609578404873231_n.jpg?oh=eec33a73ed5d5400d2a169ae91517804&oe=5480A5A2&__gda__=1415250037_98cef4f73f921cf2b01aa758b0f835b6

Facing west? Probably gets most of the bad weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

They're supposed to be weathered quite quickly. I heard Joe Caslin mention it on the radio when the Dock Road one was being installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

phog wrote: »
    Facing west? Probably gets most of the bad weather.

That one is facing roughly due south.
    It took the full brunt of the thunderstorm on saturday afternoon, and there have been a few heavy showers and some strong winds in the meantime.
    The one opposite it has been sheltered from the wind and rain.

I'm disappointed, as that was my favourite one of the set.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheBeast17

Fairly pointless to have something up in Ireland that is torn apart like that by wind and rain. The one on the dock road had bits coming off before any storm as did the one in the picture.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Some art is intended to be ephemeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheBeast17

Thats fair enough but just put it up a short time and take it down then looks absolutely terrible falling apart.

I think it's really sad that people are saying stuff like; "this is the kind of image we're trying to get away from".

For one thing, art is not a PR exercise - it's art.

For another, they are pictures of young men wearing hoodies - there's no picture of people being stabbed.

And finally.... saying that it'd be "nicer" if it was coloured in?!!!!! I doubt the artist was aiming for "nice" - otherwise he would've got some oils on canvas and painted a lovely horse.

PS. there is a website with photos of all the work - I think all of it, anyway;

drawout.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I think it's really sad that people are saying stuff like; "this is the kind of image we're trying to get away from".

For one thing, art is not a PR exercise - it's art.

For another, they are pictures of young men wearing hoodies - there's no picture of people being stabbed.

And finally.... saying that it'd be "nicer" if it was coloured in?!!!!! I doubt the artist was aiming for "nice" - otherwise he would've got some oils on canvas and painted a lovely horse.

If its going to be seen by the masses on a daily basis it should be somewhat "nice" to look at. I have to look at three of these daily and i am personally glad they will be gone soon - they are depressing to look at. Also who will clean up the parts of them that i saw all over the footpath on mallow street?

Parchment wrote: »
    If its going to be seen by the masses on a daily basis it should be somewhat "nice" to look at. I have to look at three of these daily and i am personally glad they will be gone soon - they are depressing to look at. Also who will clean up the parts of them that i saw all over the footpath on mallow street?

Could this be applied Limerick in 2015? Once the city of culture rolls out of town, it'll be back to the "old days" :(

Advertisement