Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to recover advent roma 3001

Options
  • 23-07-2014 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I am trying to recover an advent roma 3001. In the recovery wizard, at "2 installing windows..." it stops saying "error: failed to apply windows.wim". There is no recovery dvd created and I want to avoid buying recovery dvds if possible.

I am going to try and get the .wim from the hdd and try to uncorrupt it but just wondering if anyone can save me some time. Feel free to PM me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 papertales

What was the issue from the beginning, wasn't it booting up? Did you try to restart the laptop in Safe Mode and then reboot it to normal? You can also try to make a fresh reinstall of Windows 7, unless you have things that you don't want to lose. Hope that helps!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The hard disk is possibly dead. Windows.wim is the large Windows install image afaik, so if the drive has failed it may be unreadable. As above it would be helpful to know what caused you to have to recover the machine in the first place. You can get generic Windows 7 disk images (legally) online but it won't solve a hard disk failure.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 16 papertales

You can get generic Windows 7 disk images (legally) online
    Completely correct.

As said, a faulty hard drive has no way back. Another suggestion is a bit tricky but doing a low level format of the drive can "repair" any bad sectors also. It is a long shot and if you have a friend with two SATA ports in his laptop (I do!), it is worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Hoddlestone

I should have specified that it had a virus and passed a hard disk diag test. I have the windows key saved and ordered the install media which I just found out got lost in post. I did that because from experience xp media centre can be tricky to reinstall especially from oem. Unless anyone knows where to download recovery disks (legally), you can PM me also. Thanks for any help.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I should have specified that it had a virus and passed a hard disk diag test. I have the windows key saved and ordered the install media which I just found out got lost in post. I did that because from experience xp media centre can be tricky to reinstall especially from oem. Unless anyone knows where to download recovery disks (legally), you can PM me also. Thanks for any help.

You can't download XP legally unfortunately. MCE has always been a pain to get media for as well as only OEMs really sold it.
    Did you run a full sector by sector hard disk validation? There are tools on the Ultimate Boot CD which can fully test a hard disk for issues.
    A virus could have corrupted the restoration partition but I don't think that's very likely. Worth doing a full hard disk scan, and not just go by some SMART report

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Hoddlestone

Full scan was completed for diag.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I lost all data on my hp pc, bought in 2011 new in pc world.

downloaded win7 iso ,
    installed it,
    put in my windows 7 HP key and activated it online.
    I,M not a lawyer ,
    i presume its legal,
    since it is linked from the official microsoft.com forum.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/cannot-find-digital-river-download-site/66a8439b-0d16-4b70-92f7-1c8486a46ebf

if i,m wrong the moderator can delete the link above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I don't have any CDs/ISOs for MCE, but have a couple of machines with it on, if you need any system files from an install

Advertisement