Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS X 10.10 Yosemite - Public Beta - July 24th

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

UPC have always cheaper out on hardware though. Compare a Sky TV box to a UPC telly box, no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I'm seeing a few connectivity issues too and I'm not on UPC. Seems to be pretty common with this second beta

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I was having issues with wifi from the first beta, I removed the wifi network from the list and rejoined and that seems to resolve the problem. Only thing is I've to do it evey time I have the problem. Second beta is more stable though so haven't had the same issues as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Anyone else finding some of the fonts too small? Would much prefer if they were bigger, even by a point or two. For example choosing Find in Safari, the font is very small. On a Macbook 13.

Fonts are the same size apparently, but Helvetica sort of "curls in on itself." I personally thing its a poor choice for the medium. Look at the lowercase 's' in History in the menu bar in Safari, there's almost no space in the gap between the middle and the top curl, hardly ideal at that font size. It's just not the best for small lowercase on screens, and I dread to think what it must be like on a non-retina mac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Finally got around to installing this on my Mac. Unfortunately it's a late 2008 MBP and I'm running it on a 5400rpm drive connected over USB...so it's fair to say it's not the fastest. I'm expecting it to run better when it's on my main internal SSD.

First thought: wow, this is really designed for retina displays.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

Is there an offical release date for this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Is there an offical release date for this ?

Not yet, just 'fall'.

Zcott wrote: »
    Not yet, just 'fall'.

But most rumours suggest mid-late October.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Probably September 9th or 19th to coincide with the iPhone 6 & ios8

• Advertisement

miralize wrote: »
    Probably September 9th or 19th to coincide with the iPhone 6 & ios8

Nope, it's supposedly being released separately to iOS 8. New macs are due October too so they'll probably release something with it as well as the new iPad announcement.

The last iOS 8 beta wasn't released with a Yosemite beta so it looks like it will be later than September for sure.

Public Beta 3 was released tonight, very few changes and still running ok for me.

On PB3 also, mostly fine but I just had to reboot because it slowed to an absolute crawl.

(Oct 2013 rMBP "15, 16gb ram)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The layout in iTunes 12 is interesting. The iTunes Store is now more integrated into the respective media categories: music, movies, etc. So to access the iTunes movie store you have to be in the movie section of iTunes. I wonder if Apple is laying the groundwork for an eventual stripping down of the iTunes app into separate Music, Movies, etc apps like it is in iOS.

The layout in iTunes 12 is interesting. The iTunes Store is now more integrated into the respective media categories: music, movies, etc. So to access the iTunes movie store you have to be in the movie section of iTunes. I wonder if Apple is laying the groundwork for an eventual stripping down of the iTunes app into separate Music, Movies, etc apps like it is in iOS.

Hopefully not, I've enough apps that are stock and thrown into a folder never to be used again. I don't use iTunes all that much so if they separated it out that's more apps not being used.

I think the latest interface of iTunes is bad, they've been tweaking it a lot over the last few betas and I thought it looked great in the previous one, then they rolled out another set of tweaks in the latest update which ruined it for me, it's like they squashed it all down and and made it worse. Although the I like the new blue progress bar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is a few unused apps really a problem if it results in a more streamlined Music app minus all the other crap?

Is a few unused apps really a problem if it results in a more streamlined Music app minus all the other crap?

I prefer things to be bundled together, instead of separated into apps that can't be removed. It's like the way Facebook has went with the whole messenger thing, I refuse to download the app for something that didn't need a separate app in the first place.

If I could remove the apps then fair enough, I'd love it. It's one thing I think is missing from iOS, removing some of the non-essential stock apps or even offering them in the all store would be a welcome change.

Advertisement