Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SD cards query

Options
  • 24-07-2014 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I hope I'm posting this in the right section.

I need to store a bunch of graphic files (a mix of .PSD's .JPGs and .PNGs) individually. I will need to edit them from time to time, so CDs are out of the question.

I don't have much luck with external hard drives, lost files a few times in the past. I was just wondering if SD cards are a reliable means of storage. Are there any issues with them loosing data, or anything else I can't think of?

Basically what are the pros and cons. Any help is most welcome.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

There are probably a bunch of different approaches none of which are individually bullet proof so, you should always have a second copy somewhere else to mitigate against the risk of loss.

This in itself causes issues of synchronisation of the sources etc...

A SD is fine. Like anything it will have a mean time between failure, expected number of write cycles, etc, but mostly now a quality card will last what would be expected a normal life span for such a device.

If bandwidth isn't a problem (and privacy ala NSA implications etc.) then give free online storeage a blast (dropbox, box, google drive,microsoft's skydrive or whatever its equivalent name is now) as a second and backup copy. Or you could do the online thing twice with no SD - Dropbox and Box for example, and not use SD at all. Have one online as your primary and second as a backup.

As I said there are many ways of skinning this particular cat, but more important in my mind is having security of a second backup somewhere (and this may be more troublesome - in terms of keeping in sync etc..).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is pretty much why the likes of Dropbox exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Blash

Thanks guys, that pretty much covers my concerns.

Advertisement