Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volume Indicator Won't Disappear

Options
  • 24-07-2014 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi,

My Dad is having trouble with his Windows 8 laptop.
    He runs Outlook (which seems to demand a huge amount of RAM and processor).
    He has a newish computer bought less than a year ago (Dell Inspiron, 6GB of RAM, i3 Intel processor).

The computer became very, very slow 2 days ago and the volume indicator is now stuck on the screen. Nothing seems to remove it (including going in to Task Manager and ending that process). Have tried uninstalling the Realtek audio driver and reinstalling from the Dell website but that is failing too. (Uninstalled drivers and restarted computer and the drivers are magically back on the computer?!)

Thank you for taking the time to read this. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Warrior Monk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Sometimes Dell and Microsoft don't have the latest drivers and you have to look at realtek themselves. Sometimes takes a bit of digging around to find the right one.
    Unplugging the internet can help the drivers stop installing from Microsoft, but other times, you just need to reinstall before a restart to get different ones (or locate and delete the files). If you go into the control panel or device manager, I think there's an option somewhere to disable automatic searching for drivers.

Anyhow, have you considered viruses? A scan mightn't do any harm.
    Is the graphics card okay, any visual freezes aside from the sound thing and the overall slowdown?

Advertisement