Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy fish

Options
  • 24-07-2014 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

hi all! A couple of things, I am planning to have a dinner at home with a mexican theme. I'm making fish tacos. Any suggestions for reasonably priced fish to use and where I can get them? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Lots of places, all good supermarkets stock fresh fish. Fish sellers in Moore St market too but not every day so sometimes unreliable.

If it is selection and variety you're after then it's hard to beat http://www.tasteofthesea.ie in Glasnevin near the cemetery. It's like a supermarket but only for fish and they have lots of exotic varieties. Prices are excellent too, especially if you're buying in bulk for the freezer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Is taste of the sea not just all frozen fish?

reprazant wrote: »
    Is taste of the sea not just all frozen fish?

Yep it is but there are varieties of fish in there that you just won't find fresh anywhere, I guess they come from a long way from Irish waters so they have to be frozen.

If it's just plain fresh cod the OP is after for a recipe then any decent supermarket will have it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

You didn't say where in Dublin you're based. Try Kish Fish over in Bow Street, or in Coolock. Wrights of Howth also have a shop in Fairview. As other posters have indicated supermarkets, Moore Street, etc are also options.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

I'm here in the ifsc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

Smithfield fruit market, believe it or not, has fish sellers on the far side of it

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

Taste of the sea is closed down about a week now, Kish Fish is your best bet for value.

septictank wrote: »
    Taste of the sea is closed down about a week now, Kish Fish is your best bet for value.

Ah feck, any ideas what went wrong ? I always thought it was a great shop in a bit of a bizarre location

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Ah feck, any ideas what went wrong ? I always thought it was a great shop in a bit of a bizarre location

Location I'd say, we always went in when we were shopping in the Lidl store next door.

Can't ever remember an other customer in the shop while I was there, pity as they had a great range of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

septictank wrote: »
    Location I'd say, we always went in when we were shopping in the Lidl store next door.

Can't ever remember an other customer in the shop while I was there, pity as they had a great range of fish.

Was in on their last day, most of their business is wholesale and they weren't making enough out of that shop. Was huge and hardly anyone ever in it. Pity

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    Was in on their last day, most of their business is wholesale and they weren't making enough out of that shop. Was huge and hardly anyone ever in it. Pity

Pity indeed, if they had of got a unit in the city centre I'm sure they'd have been a lot busier. A lot of immigrants eat way more fish than the Irish do and they must have had Dublins widest selection of fish. Shame they didn't give a city centre location a punt rather than locating on the fringe of an industrial estate. Even if it meant charging a little more I'm sure an outlet with a wide selection of frozen fish would do well in the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

jaysis, disappointed TOTS is gone :(

retalivity wrote: »

Spoke with one of the lads when they opened and he told me that they had a few boats and caught most of the fish for the shop their self and were giving a sell to the customer directly a go.

I often asked did they have fresh (unfrozen) fish because I wanted to have dinner today not tomorrow but no , towards the end they had a small iced stall inside the door with unfrozen fish mainly salmon, maybe too little too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Nickys Plaice on Howth West pier.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

OldGoat wrote: »
    Nickys Plaice on Howth West pier.

Agreed...he used to be the manager of Beshoffs back in the 90's so he knows his stuff.

Don't buy frozen fish of any description..fish isnt meant to be frozen and it destroys the texture as well as the flavour.

Advertisement