Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

birds nest in house - advise please

• 24-07-2014 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

building at house at the moment and few weeks ago we noticed a birds nest in rafters in bedroom upstairs and the starling coming and going. last thursday we had the windows installed and the fitters said they checked the nest as in felt around inside it but it was empty. we then noticed poop on the inside of the windows and feathers stuck to the glass but no sign of the starling. So last night my OH said he'd check nest again and stuck his phone in and took a picture and we can clearly see 5 eggs!
    theres no front door in house right now but I dont know if the starling is getting in this way, we havent seen her since.
    Any advise on what to do with eggs and nest?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Leave it as it is and let nature take its course. There's not a whole lot else you can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's an offence to interfere with a nesting bird in Ireland (as in, a bird that has eggs or chicks still in the nest). All you can do is wait for the chicks to hatch & fledge, then remove the nest. And obviously make sure there's nowhere for birds to gain access once the house is finished.

The droppings will be a nightmare, unfortunately. But at least you're not living in the house - a family of starlings took up residence in the roof right above my head this year and the effing NOISE of the chicks once they'd hatched! Also, the back garden was absolutely destroyed with shite, we couldn't even hang clothes out for a few weeks. Thankfully, the chicks have fledged now and the parents have abandoned the nest (they normally do once the chicks leave), and I've a guy coming next week to repair the hole in the soffit where they got in. Don't want them back next year, thanks very much!

Advertisement