Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Dublin Rent - €1,200-1,400 1-bed apartment?

Options
  • 24-07-2014 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

I've started a new job based just to the east of St Stephen's Green. Yearly salary is €36k gross, permanent fulltime. I'm single, 24, no dependents/partner, no debt, no car etc.

I would like to rent a nice apartment within 20 minutes walking distance. I am right in expecting to pay between €1200pm and €1400 a month for such a place?

Th kind of places I have in mind are this, this or this i.e. non-ground floor, 1 or 2bed apartments in southside, well maintained blocks in 'professional' areas.

Can I even afford these prices at my salary? Am I better off to remain with my parents, but for how long- rents only seem to be going up! I have been living with them for 3 years now while on a few yearly employment contracts, and always procrastinated on finding a nice place until it was too far into the contract to be able to commit to a year lease. I would much rather just my own place so I have much more space and freedom, and much less time commuting(1h10 each way).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

Holy sh*t!I knew Dublin was expensive but that's outrageous!I have a nicer flat in the centre of Paris for less than that.Only solution is to find a boy/girlfriend or a flatshare, on your salary living alone in Dublin is not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭seablue

Those apartments are not typical of Dublin generally. They are in the grand canal area, near big employers like Google.

Look in areas like kilmainham, inchicore, stoneybatter, phibsboro.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Save yourself money and get a flat share , also avoid Google docks.
    rent 1300*12 =15600
    elec and heating 100*12 =1200
    Broadband 50*12 =600

Total = 17400

36000= approx 28k after tax -above=10600/52

you will have approx €200 euro a week, to feed yourself, travel, buy clothes, buy cleaning products, socialize. etc

so no you can't afford to pay 1300.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

You could find cheaper areas to rent like poster above mentioned ... islandbridge even.... walkable if you wish or 15 mins on a bus, could safe yourself a couple hundred euro a month in rent.

IF your on your own majority of the time though you need to feel safe so try find a place that occupiers only have to access to.

Here is a ground floor apt in Dublin for nearly half of what you expect to pay... and its nice!

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/310b-north-circular-road-phibsborough-dublin/1464208/#

On the other hand, while it sounds great, living on your own might get a bit much, especially in winter. If you don't like the idea of living with strangers, could you possibly find a friend that is willing and able to pay rent, between two of you - you would find a fab place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Ok, thank you all, it is all very clear to me now. I will just continue to live with my parents. Clearly I can't afford the type of place I'd want solo, and if I am going to share with someone may as well be my family whom I get on with and is cheaper.
    I don't have any friends I know well enough to live with, and most of the candidates already have places and earn enough money for them, or rent with their GFs.

I'm not interested in living somewhere where I would have to still get a bus to work, to me that defeats the point of moving out. I would be better off taking the bus from here, further out, where I can get a seat comfortably rather than having to stand(as I did when I lived in Harolds' Cross in college). That house on the NCR is actually quite nice, I have to admit. Just too far away for me.

I'd rather just wait until I make enough money to live where I like(either I start earning more or rent goes down), so I'll do that for the time being. Many thanks.

• Advertisement

Ok, thank you all, it is all very clear to me now. I will just continue to live with my parents. Clearly I can't afford the type of place I'd want solo, and if I am going to share with someone may as well be my family whom I get on with and is cheaper.
    I don't have any friends I know well enough to live with, and most of the candidates already have places and earn enough money for them, or rent with their GFs.

I'm not interested in living somewhere where I would have to still get a bus to work, to me that defeats the point of moving out. I would be better off taking the bus from here, further out, where I can get a seat comfortably rather than having to stand(as I did when I lived in Harolds' Cross in college). That house on the NCR is actually quite nice, I have to admit. Just too far away for me.

I'd rather just wait until I make enough money to live where I like(either I start earning more or rent goes down), so I'll do that for the time being. Many thanks.

was in the same boat pal.....

spend your money enjoying yourself - you might meet your other half and could end up living with someone sooner than you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Sadderday wrote: »

spend your money enjoying yourself - you might meet your other half and could end up living with someone sooner than you think!
    +1 you never know whats around the corner

But you should also consider living a little out of town, e.g. Ranelagh, 10/15 min walk to the Green and the Luas is also there which is a fantastic service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Use your time living with parents to save deposit for mortgage

Thanks. I will actually just save the money, I already have about €20k saved up for nothing in particular. Not actually interested in meeting another half, honestly don't see the point. Will enjoy my self though, in my own way- though it would be easier to do that(big TV, space for a nice desk to work at) if I wasn't in my parent's box room.

As for saving for a mortgage.. eh, I'll save the money, but don't want to get into the house buying world or have that much debt. I'd be happy to rent long term, but that is not possible at present in the areas I would want to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the cost of rent is INSANE in Dublin at the moment, I see absolutely no point in living far away from where you want to be and paying for transport at least twice per day and time. If sharing isnt of interest, I'd stay where you are, the cost of living on your own is mental. As has been mentioned, save all that you can, once you move out, the rate at which you will be able to save, if you can save at all will be at a glacial rate...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Rent anywhere in Dublin is a joke at the moment. It doesn't help that letting agents are auctioning up prices because of the demand. My girlfriend and I luckily got a 2 bed in the suburbs for 1200 which is still too high in my opinion. Then you look at Sandyford & Dundrum.... normal basic 2 bed apartments are going for 1500.... that is just insanity. There really needs to be better control of rent in this country.

Just to mention though.......

I am renting a four bedroom gaff with a dining table and 8 chairs, flat screen tv, office and back garden for 800 pm.

Now, I'm in Enfield. Which is a few mins from Maynooth. I understand you dont want to travel .... but it costs me 30 a week for a bus ticket and buses are every 15 mins at peak times.

If I get the 5.05pm bus, I'm home by 5.45pm.

Its not for everyone but I dont understand why people rule out that 35 min travel time, to me I get more value for my money out of Dublin !!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I think you're crazy moving out of home and paying that sort of rent.

If you're disciplined enough you can save €1000+ a month, still have a good quality of life and end up with a fairly decent deposit in 2 years for a nice place of your own. However you may not want another 2-3 years living at home.

Other options:
    • Live on the southside on the Luas green line in as it terminates on Stephens green, somewhere like Ranelagh would be decent enough and cheaper.
    • Rent a room in shared house, a room in a decent house can be got for less than €600 a month, shared bills, own room and en-suite is possible.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Just to mention though.......

I am renting a four bedroom gaff with a dining table and 8 chairs, flat screen tv, office and back garden for 800 pm.

Now, I'm in Enfield. Which is a few mins from Maynooth. I understand you dont want to travel .... but it costs me 30 a week for a bus ticket and buses are every 15 mins at peak times.

Its not for everyone but I dont understand why people rule out that 35 min travel time, to me I get more value for my money out of Dublin !!!!

Is that 35 mins from city centre Dublin??

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Is that 35 mins from city centre Dublin??

Yes,

I get the bus at the halfpenny bridge. Bus stops a hueston and liffey valley and goes straight into enfield town. then just a 5-7 min walk to the house. Full of dubs lots of new estates there. Supervalu being built, already has a centra and tesco, chippy, 2 chinese, 2 garages, 2 chemists, pubs, hardware etc etc, 7 min drive to maynooth.

Has a train also, thats really regular and bus eireann too but private bus cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

I call shenanigans on this, especially if its from the City Centre. :pac:

KT10 wrote: »
    I call shenanigans on this, especially if its from the City Centre. :pac:

Absolute truth !, the driver of the next bus takes his time a bit more so you could ten mins on if you get the 5.15pm bus given traffic build up too.

Seems to shock everyone!, I used to drive in each day but with the bus lane its much quicker.

I get to Enfield quicker than I would to Blanch (which I do after work once a week)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Actually I've got different advice. Take 700 or 800 - get yourself a room in a houseshare with a few other young people in the city centre. It's going to be messier, louder, and you won't have as much space (and there's also at least 1 weirdo) but you'll have one hell of a good time being 24 years old, living in the city centre and having the disposable income.

Enjoy yo'self! :cool:

Lol, there is that option, but I am not that kind of person at all.

And to be honest I think 24 is too old to be leading that kind of lifestyle, I had something similar(to a much lesser extent) in college and had enough of it.

€800 is a lot to be spending on a doss house though :cool: In college 5 of us rented a house for €400 each, this was back in 2010/11 though.

• Advertisement

Just to revisit this- on my salary of €36000 with no debt or dependents or other outgoings beyond basic bills, what do you think is a ballpark realistic monthly rent I can afford? Just so I know where I stand.

I also looked at the mortgage option - while I have no problem with a deposit, already have €20k saved and add €1000 a month(would do more but that is the max my account lets me deposit per month apparently), from what I can see I would need to earn more gross per anumm to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

One bed apartments are always more expensive.

Really you should be considering a two bed (for the same rent).

Zulu wrote: »
    One bed apartments are always more expensive.

Really you should be considering a two bed (for the same rent).

Oh, I am, they're in my Daft email filter too. Doesn't really matter, I accept from this thread that I can't afford any of them at the current prices, so now I am only really looking at what pops up out of curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Tbh you can't really afford to live in the type of property you want in the area you want. If I was you you should rent a room will cost you 500pm you will meet some nice people. Just move in with professionals in mid to late 20s. It won't be like college and your going to have a lot more money to enjoy yourself.

If you don't like it just move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Just to revisit this- on my salary of €36000 with no debt or dependents or other outgoings beyond basic bills, what do you think is a ballpark realistic monthly rent I can afford? Just so I know where I stand.

900 to a grand at a push. You should be aiming for less than that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

The figures I heard touted in the past was to spend no more than 30% of your income on rent which, for a single person after tax on a €36000 salary, is around €700 per month.

Unfortunately, this is impossible in Dublin and you'll find it very difficult to save for big purchases such as a car or deposit for a house if you go much beyond the 30%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

I think it is recommended not to spend more than a third of your monthly income on accommodation, so about €750.

Edit: Marathonic beat me to it.

marathonic wrote: »
    The figures I heard touted in the past was to spend no more than 30% of your income on rent which, for a single person after tax on a €36000 salary, is around €700 per month.

Unfortunately, this is impossible in Dublin and you'll find it very difficult to save for big purchases such as a car or deposit for a house if you go much beyond the 30%.

The 30% rule of thumb is on gross salary, hence 900.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

The 30% rule of thumb is on gross salary, hence 900.

Oh right. So that works out about 40% of net salary gone before you consider bills and other expenditure :eek:

I'm glad I don't have the Dublin costs of accommodation to deal with.

• Advertisement

marathonic wrote: »
    Oh right. So that works out about 40% of net salary gone before you consider bills and other expenditure :eek:

I'm glad I don't have the Dublin costs of accommodation to deal with.

It's an upper bound for affordability. I don't recommend aiming for it.

Advertisement