Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

Let's go to Elland Road now and get another 3 points and keep this unbeaten run going, will be a tough game but if there's one thing this team should have now is confidence which we haven't been able to say for a very very long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think it's a winnable game. They're doing well, but the quality of player there isn't what it is at Villa. That's what you get when you spend as much as we have. These are the kinds of games that Newcastle have made success from winning and this is what will have to be the future for Villa if the aim is to fight for automatic promotion rather than just playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Cant believe that gabby is even getting a look in with all the forward options available to Bruce, hebis out and out crap at this stage and has been for the last few seasons. Btuces decision to keep playing him and giving him chances I cant understand, when the likes of Hepburn-Murphy deserve a shot to shine.

Anywhere to watch todays highlights?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Maybe it's wishful thinking but I have put myself in the Gabby is being prepped to be ready for African Nations time and to be no more than a squad player for when injuries strike. Maybe he impresses in the limited time he has got and / or he does enough to get a move later but I wouldn't want to see him being considered a long term option for Villa.

Our ascension up the table continues under Bruce, always nice to jump a few places in a table and with this league that can happen with every good result. Were technically (on goal difference) outside the top 10 now but with one win were in the top 7 results dependant. If that win is in our next game we would (no matter what happens elsewhere) be only one point off current 5th place Leeds. It's great to be looking upwards again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Maybe it's wishful thinking but I have put myself in the Gabby is being prepped to be ready for African Nations time and to be no more than a squad player for when injuries strike. Maybe he impresses in the limited time he has got and / or he does enough to get a move later but I wouldn't want to see him being considered a long term option for Villa.

Our ascension up the table continues under Bruce, always nice to jump a few places in a table and with this league that can happen with every good result. Were technically (on goal difference) outside the top 10 now but with one win were in the top 7 results dependant. If that win is in our next game we would (no matter what happens elsewhere) be only one point off current 5th place Leeds. It's great to be looking upwards again.

Good point, we lose Kodjia, Rudy and Adomoh up front. Leaves us with Ross, Gabby and Kozak. Kozak is finished, Ross isn't getting a game and Gabby is woeful but we need more than 1 so he may as well be fit come Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

LeBash wrote: »
    Good point, we lose Kodjia, Rudy and Adomoh up front. Leaves us with Ross, Gabby and Kozak. Kozak is finished, Ross isn't getting a game and Gabby is woeful but we need more than 1 so he may as well be fit come Jan.

Benin did not qualify. Gestede is not going.
    But you forgot about Ayew.

JPA wrote: »
    Benin did not qualify. Gestede is not going.
    But you forgot about Ayew.

Ahhh, my football knowledge has been bested sir. Wouldn't be overly stressed about Ayew. We have Grealish who can do a job and Green looked alright.

Ahhh, my football knowledge has been bested sir. Wouldn't be overly stressed about Ayew. We have Grealish who can do a job and Green looked alright.

Green has looked ****e.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

We're suckin' diesel now folks!

• Advertisement

We're suckin' diesel now folks!

If we can cut out the draws then we will be bang up there come the business end of the season for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anyone going to the game today

listermint wrote: »
    Anyone going to the game today

Please let CSF say yes!!! Or Artanevilla say he was out for a rake of pints last night and had a dodgy curry.

3-0 to Villa today.

Anyone else loving the fact we are on the box every few weeks. We are getting as much coverage as Manchester United in the 90s and 00s

Gestede starts, Ayew Gabby and Grealish on the bench. Good attacking options to come on if needed

looking forward to a good game of football here.

Against us in midfield is Ronaldo Viera...what a name!

25 mins in and I think we look the better side, a goal will come soon for us hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Looked very solid in that half, great to see the midfield pushing onto Leeds defenders when they had the ball and making them waste long passes. If only Gestede was a bit more mobile, he frustrates the play not being able to move quickly enough. Theres a few chances to be had there certainly though, maybe after 60 move Kodjia up top and replace Gestede with Ayew/Jack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

We look solid and our midfield is pressing very effectively but I'd like to see us get on the ball a little more now second half...

Gardner has been working hard but his touch and use of the ball has been very poor.

Hopefully see Grealish soon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Anyone else loving the fact we are on the box every few weeks. We are getting as much coverage as Manchester United in the 90s and 00s

Yes and no, we're on the box often alright, but unlike the Premiership, if we're not on, we're not on anywhere, so no streams.

Solid so far, but they've enough about them to nick it if not careful.

Gollini all over the place there.

Gollini wtf

That was incredibly poor. Looked like a child going for that ball

How we react will be interesting.

Please get Gestede off and Ayew on quick

Gabbi...... Whyyyy

Same old stuff for the last few seasons, not doing too bad, but not threatening the goal too much.

... ... ... ...

• Advertisement

First defeat for Bruce. Overall not the worst performance, not great all the same.

We probably controlled it without dominating, but missing that bit extra.

2-0 is generous to Leeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Their two goals came from our mistakes. Both very bad mistakes at that!

We need to start playing more football...The game plan at the moment is too negative and just contain and hope something happens at the other end. That was fine for the first few games but if we want to continue the progress we need to stamp our authority in games from the off.

I think Bruce will or hopefully should have learned by now Gestede and Gardner aren't good enough.

First defeat for Bruce. Overall not the worst performance, not great all the same.

We probably controlled it without dominating, but missing that bit extra.

2-0 is generous to Leeds.

Pretty generous alright, but Villa faded a lot in the 2nd half.

Good to beat a big club and to see another good crowd at ER after a packed house for Newcastle recently. Looking through the table, Leeds, Villa, Forest, Derby, Wolves, Wednesday, Newcastle, QPR...attendances in the Championship could break records.

I think all criticism of today has to be put in the perspective of coming after a very impressive unbeaten run and it's absolutely not a time to panic.

Gollini was awful but there haven't been any issues with him for a while now so it's not a necessarily a replacement I'd be looking for in January, rather another keeper that can provide adequate competition. Elphick on the other hand doesn't have the benefit of the doubt of any form to speak of and just isn't good enough. All heart and attitude, not enough ability.

I think it was a mistake to start Gestede and I hope its one Bruce learns from. At least 3 from the 4 of Kodjia, Adomah, Ayew and Grealish should be starting when fit. Those are the players there that could feasibly do it in the Premier League in the future. Gestede and Agbonlahor (if ever) should be used as sparingly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Gestede does not work away from home when playing counter attacking football because of a lack of mobility.

Gardner AND Westwood never work well

Hutton Jedinak have too many errors in them

Ayew wants out

Amavi had a nightmare

Elphick and Chester are not a good combo and Gollini looks nervous behind them

The next team sheet will tell us what we can expect from Bruce as a manager.

Panrich wrote: »
    Gestede does not work away from home when playing counter attacking football because of a lack of mobility.

Gardner AND Westwood never work well

Hutton Jedinak have too many errors in them

Ayew wants out

Amavi had a nightmare

Elphick and Chester are not a good combo and Gollini looks nervous behind them

The next team sheet will tell us what we can expect from Bruce as a manager.
    I think that's way too critical of lads who've been doing very well of late and didn't perform all that badly up until the goal was conceded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

CSF wrote: »
    I think that's way too critical of lads who've been doing very well of late and didn't perform all that badly up until the goal was conceded.

You could be right. I just wanted us to win this game so badly and capitalise on other results this weekend.

I got today off to a bad start listening to Jeff Stelling mocking us on Sky Sports and the game just seemed to get away from us.

However, I do feel that Bacuna is a better bet than any of Hutton, Westood or Gardner.

I'm also frustrated that we bought Elphick and Chester who don't seem to have gelled into an effective pair as they are both very similar physically. We look better and more secure with Baker in there.

We have shipped out Sanchez whose major failing was a tendency to commit fatal errors in front of goal and replaced him with Jedinak who looks like a clone.

I think tonight will tell Bruce a lot more about his January transfer plans than all the unbeaten run put together. I understand what he was going for with Gestede actually, but we didn't play enough balls from dangerous areas to him, but in the end he just doesn't offer enough to the team. I don't think it was a counter attacking set up really, it was away from home against a very decent side this season and they had very little for most of that match.

I'm counting down the days to where hopefuly I don't see Hutton in a Villa jersey anymore, I've never seen a guy unable to make 10 yard passes without making them, under hitting them or over hitting them. Midfield needs beefing up as well, it's very tepid in there at times, no one looks like they really like passing the ball in there. Still though, it's a defeat but it wasn't too far away from matches that were actually won. Kodjia and Adomah should always start imo, and 1 of Ayew/Grealish. For me, you can't have two players that like to hold onto the ball like they do in a starting XI, it needs to be moved quicker for the likes of Adomah and Kodjia to use.

We really need to get some back to back wins, every time we gain some sort of decent momentum it goes tits up again and we drop points. Need to bounce back from tonight and it wasn't a terrible performance either.

No Villa fan should be too bothered about today's result. After 35 years of keeping an eye on Leeds fortunes, I can honestly say this side is the first one in years that has me slightly optimistic..I think relegation won't be an issue anyway. It's solid and workmanlike and Monk looks like like a fine manager. Not that I'm getting carried away, the chairman is that dangerous mix of not very rich and insane so it'll all come crashing down. But a fair few teams will come to ER and get battered, and Villa were far from that, and even bossed the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Both a disappointing performance and result but we didn't do enough to win. We spent a lot of time in their half first half but didn't really create any chances.

Their goal was a free header shades of last season. Kodjia didn't really get in to the game and Rudy up top didn't work. Too late for Ayew or Grealish to influence things one of them should have started, putting Gabby on was just a panic measure.

We can't over react and hopefully SB is learning more about the squad from matches like this. We just need to take a good share of points over the Xmas period.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »

I'm counting down the days to where hopefuly I don't see Hutton in a Villa jersey anymore, I've never seen a guy unable to make 10 yard passes without making them, under hitting them or over hitting them.

Cast your mind back to Sanchez. Worst passer I've ever seen playing for Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Just saw the highlights there. We seemed to miss some good chances in the first half. Gollini and Elphick both woeful for the first goal (how many times is that between the 2 of them?). But both unlucky for the second after a poor Jedinak pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I feel like a broken record with Gollini but I again don't think the mistake was that bad. It's a perfect combination of cross and movement by the striker were he is probably going to score even if the keeper stays put.

It's a split second decision that he misjudged but I think the end result is the same.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I feel like a broken record with Gollini but I again don't think the mistake was that bad. It's a perfect combination of cross and movement by the striker were he is probably going to score even if the keeper stays put.

It's a split second decision that he misjudged but I think the end result is the same.

I like Gollini but I felt it was a lack of bravery for the goal. Seemed to chicken out of the clash with the striker.

Spurs away in fa cup....

Feck

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Patser wrote: »
    Spurs away in fa cup....

Feck
    :)What did they ever win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

:)What did they ever win?

They drew 4-4 against Arsenal a few years ago and made a DVD out of it

Bruce revealed in press conference this morning that he has verbally agreed a move for one player in January, and practically agreed a move for a second. One of them is thought to be a goalkeeper.

Good to hear they are being proactive, wonder if they are players he has links to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Really today against Wigan like Fulham, Blackburn and Cardiff before it is all about the three points rather than the performance. Our home form has been very good SB has been effective in shoring up the defence and we are winning.

The problem is last week at Leeds I thought we tried to contain them and got caught out by one of their few attacks.

Ultimately we are playing catch up so I think there will come a time when we will have to try and go for it away from home and get the wins as at the moment home form will not be enough to take us to the play offs.

Hopefully last week was just a wobble and we can get back to winning ways again starting today, following that are Qpr away Burton and Leeds at home and Cardiff away.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement