Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Not the best advertising from the club when you get an email for this match (and avtv) which prominently features Gabby with a face like a man undergoing a rectal exam.

20ii0ra.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Grealish. 1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

SUPER SUPER JACK!!!!!!!!!!

Goal!!! Jack!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Keep it tight and that's 3points and a big day for grealish making the difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Lovely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

Big 3 points that today, good to bounce back after the Leeds defeat, Bruce continues to work his magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ayew pretty poor again today by all accounts, the same things such as disinterest, greedy with the ball and bad decision making keep cropping up with him. I thought he'd be a really good player in this division but he isn't showing it at all, I've always got the feeling he thinks he's a lot better than he really is. He doesn't add enough to the team over 90 minutes consistently and it will be interesting to see how Bruce shapes the team when he's gone for the African Nations Cup.

On the good side, Amavi had a blinder today by most accounts, seems to be at full tilt now after his injury.

http://www.skysports.ie/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/championship/10691129/aston-villa-1-0-wigan

Highlights again, although pretty little to see except Jacks stunner.

Far better to watch the Preston players fight or Bamba of Cardiff having a go at his own manager (Warnock which probably makes it seem more reasonable)

• Advertisement

Carl Jenkinson of Arsenal and Sam Johnstone (keeper) from Man United may be the 2 players that Bruce was talking about signing.

Both on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

I was at the game on Sat. We totally dominated and Gollini had little or nothing to do for the duration. That being said it was still quite a poor performance. Wigan basically just played for the draw and made it difficult.

We struggled badly in the central midfield again. Jedinak broke up the play pretty well in fairness but was absolutely awful in both looking for the ball and in his use of possession. Gardiner struggled badly again. Grealish played deeper than usual and while he wasn't outstanding his bravery to always make himself available and try and create things was very admirable. I still think a number 10 role with license to roam is his best position/role. He was getting quite frustrated with the other players and to be honest it was very understandable. The lack of movement from Ayew and Adomah was also very poor and we therefore struggled badly to create openings.

That goal from Grealish was fantastic and the kind of ace up the sleeve you need sometimes against stubborn opposition like Wigan.

Pick of the bunch were Amavi and Kodjia. Amavi is really a very good player and plays with a composure that puts others to shame. Chester was also very positive in possession and was willing to step in to midfield with the ball at times which I like.

I'd give Bruce a lot credit in that he changed the shape twice during the game and was extremely positive with his subs. Poor old Gestede really had a mare when he came on. I dont rate the guy as a player but even still he looks completely devoid of sharpness and confidence at the moment.

Wigan came on strong last few minutes as you might expect and the nervousness around Villa Park was noticeable and probably a result of the problems of last 18 months.

I think we really need to strengthen in midfield. If Jedinak is first choice then we need a big upgrade on Westwood or Gardner to go alongside him because he won't do anything in terms of getting us playing. It's a pity we don't see Tishbola a little more to see what he could offer.

I'd like to see an upgrade on Hutton at right back. He just no longer offers anything at all going forward. As mentioned above Jenkinson could be an option. Certainly would provide more pace.

Also I'd like us to take a punt on a loan for a decent young striker. Solanke from Chelsea springs to mind. He's always been very impressive for various English underage side.

It was a decent win on Sat and it's not the kind of game we would have won a few weeks ago imo so hopefully we can follow up with a good result and performance at Norwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I'd like to know what happened to Tshibola. He looked decent when he played (albeit injury prone) but is completely out of favour with Bruce. I would have at least expected to have seen him from the bench a couple of times.

Jenkinson would be a really good signing if Bruce can get him to come here, it's rumoured to be close too.

The link with McCarthy is a strange one, I would expect he'd have a good few PL teams after him.

Pretty cool this, John Gregory on Twitter, posted up the teamsheet of the game where he went to watch Angel before signing him. He has said he wanted to sign Yepes and Aimar but Ellis wouldn't bankroll it. Imagine Aimar at Villa back then.

https://twitter.com/JohnGregory77/status/808017577909817345

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

matrim wrote: »
    I'd like to know what happened to Tshibola. He looked decent when he played (albeit injury prone) but is completely out of favour with Bruce. I would have at least expected to have seen him from the bench a couple of times.

Rumours are that Bruce doesn't think he's fit enough I think he should be getting more game time.

Agree with rebelomar about Saturday we had a lot of possession but created very little. If we couldn't score against Wigan with Ayew Kodjia Grealish McCormack and Adomah/Gestede (sub) on then I think we really have got problems.

Anyhow let's hope we can go on another run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

pavb2 wrote: »
    Rumours are that Bruce doesn't think he's fit enough I think he should be getting more game time.

Agree with rebelomar about Saturday we had a lot of possession but created very little. If we couldn't score against Wigan with Ayew Kodjia Grealish McCormack and Adomah/Gestede (sub) on then I think we really have got problems.

Anyhow let's hope we can go on another run.

McCormack still looks a stone overweight and he is being overlooked too so there may be truth in that but on the flip side Gabby got game time despite being in the middle of a get fit campaign.

• Advertisement

3 points tmw night away to Norwich would be absolutely sweet, nothing to fear going there anyway, I'll go for a Villa 2-1 win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Sono wrote: »
    3 points tmw night away to Norwich would be absolutely sweet, nothing to fear going there anyway, I'll go for a Villa 2-1 win

On SS1 tonight. 7:45

JPA wrote: »
    On SS1 tonight. 7:45

Didn't realise this cheers for the heads up, happy days!

I see we are linked with Robbie Brady, would be a great signing along with Jenkinson, still need to rectify the central midfield however

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

We're on the tellybox Sunday morning as well I believe.

Yep strong links with Robbie Brady.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/1213/838469-villa-eye-up-l10million-swoop-for-robbie-brady/

This would make me very happy, although not if it meant Amavi leaving. If possible sell Ayew - he's just not interested - get Robbie with the money and play Robbie as attacking left winger, or as left back with Amavi as winger. 2 out and out left players, who can defend as well as attack, supporting each other and imagine the crosses they could put in.

Better than brilliant in places but entirely uninterested and underperforming Ayew, or out of best position Grealish, McCormarck or Adomoh who've all been pushed to left wing at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Patser wrote: »
    Yep strong links with Robbie Brady.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/1213/838469-villa-eye-up-l10million-swoop-for-robbie-brady/

This would make me very happy, although not if it meant Amavi leaving. If possible sell Ayew - he's just not interested - get Robbie with the money and play Robbie as attacking left winger, or as left back with Amavi as winger. 2 out and out left players, who can defend as well as attack, supporting each other and imagine the crosses they could put in.

Better than brilliant in places but entirely uninterested and underperforming Ayew, or out of best position Grealish, McCormarck or Adomoh who've all been pushed to left wing at times.

i have been saying that about ayew all season but have got shot down here on numerous occasions. Brady well able to play in an advanced role aheaqd of amavi, plus he can defend also.

i have been saying that about ayew all season but have got shot down here on numerous occasions. Brady well able to play in an advanced role aheaqd of amavi, plus he can defend also.

Robbie Brady being able to defend really is questionable, think he's good at attacking and should be signed as just that if we do sign him.

Big games needed from the likes of Grealish and Ayew especially, with Pinto and Olsson as full backs, whoever's on the wing will need to be up to speed.
    Jedinak and Mulumbu will be an important battle in there as well. God knows what Gabby will do, maybe to worry Bassong/Bennett with pace perhaps?

Czk87joXEAA8iKX.jpg:small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Who's Sarkic?

matrim wrote: »
    Who's Sarkic?

Must be a sub keeper, youngster?

Edit: yep, here we go

https://www.avfc.co.uk/players/m/s/matija-sarkic

As for team selection above, Bacuna would have added so much more stability to that team than Gabby. It's effectively 4-2-4.

Here's hoping Gabby can finally come up tonight with a very small percentage of the paying back for the sh*t he has pulled over the last few years.

Not happy at all to see him and Elphick in the team but such is the nature of the helter skelter nature of 3 games a week.

If Elphick or Chester get injured who goes in back? Jedinak with Gardner in mf, Cissokho, Hutton with Bacuna at RB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Patser wrote: »
    If Elphick or Chester get injured who goes in back? Jedinak with Gardner in mf, Cissokho, Hutton with Bacuna at RB?

Could recall Toner

Grealish has found his passing range early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Gabby playing striker role or wait around for a bus to come somewhere in the other teams half?

Can't tell

• Advertisement

Poor from Gollini there. Competition for him badly required in January.

Far from convinced Ayew should be on setpieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anyone would have taken D Horgan instead of Preston?

That was really poor. Passing shocking, no control, no cohesion. Amavi our best player or at least our most involved.

JPA wrote: »
    That was really poor. Passing shocking, no control, no cohesion. Amavi our best player or at least our most involved.
    Yeah some seriously bad passing on show. Jedinak the worst culprit (as per) but Grealish not far behind.

Amavi looking more like where he was before the injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Gabby doing his best invisible man impersonation..kodjia keeps giving the ball away while trying to help out our so called midfield..
    It needs to improve or they can easily knick a goal and keep us out.

Genuinely wasn't aware Westwood was playing until I saw someone having a rant about him on Twitter there.

Westwood and Gabby off at half time for Gardner and Adomah. Keep on as we are there and we will lose this.

Kodjia and Grealish together hold on to the ball far too much between them especially passing to each other, no chance for spontaneous chances to be created then. Everything slows up and Norwich get plenty of players back which cause Villa players to lose the ball far too easy. Kodjia is far better when he doesn't need to take too many touches on the ball. Only Jedinak and Amavi were decent in that half. Norwich are just as poor so any bit of intensity would have them in trouble, none there so far,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Kodjia will be done for that moment of stupidity.

• Advertisement

Panrich wrote: »
    Kodjia will be done for that moment of stupidity.
    Doubt it. Handbags. If he was that might be it for him until after the African Cup of Nations.

Agbonlahor is f*ckin hopeless.

How have we gone nearly an hour without Bruce making a change here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Get Gabby off the absolute twit

Completely Bruce's fault. This was inevitable. Elphick is a League 2 defender.

1-0 Down....

After Brady missed an even easier chance, Gollini flatfooted from a chance shot, Norwich well on top

• Advertisement

Unsurprising.
    Don't think we've been playing well for a few games. Lack of shape to the team.
    Gabby should not be playing, Kodiga should be front and centre, Adomah should be starting every game. If Ayew plays he needs to be pushed well forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

What can you say hopefully we can turn it around

70 minutes in, pathetic performance. Still no changes. 2 big games in a row where Bruce has absolutely **** the bed tactically and it's looking like costing us again.

Too many (on paper*) similar players - Kodjia, Ayew, Gabby*, Grealish - all players he like to ball in low, try to take on or trick players, with the end result they all get isolated, won't pass and just lose the ball.

Now replacing Gabby and Grealish with Adomah and McCromack.... which on my opinion are kust 2 more similar players. We need Bacuna in midfield (or even Gardner) as it's getting overun. No point having every sttriker on and no-one to feed them

73 minutes it took for Gabby to be subbed off. Westwood is still out there. Furious here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement