Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

We know how good Kodija is but the man never passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

JPA wrote: »
    We know how good Kodija is but the man never passes.

Drives me mental too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sono wrote: »
    Drives me mental too

Square ball across there 2 men coming in. Just begs belief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

About right, we had the chances but still needed a late equaliser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Kodjia showing the good and bad...the bad decision making is why he's never played at the higher levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Is Amavi usually that bad? Looked decent at the start of last season but did villa really turn down 25m?

listermint wrote: »
    Square ball across there 2 men coming in. Just begs belief

With him out of the side we might(hopefully) see the best of McCormack and Gestede(if he stays). Decent point tonight against a side who I believe will defo make the playoffs come May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Gonna reserve judgement until February when he's had a chance to put together a team of his own (primarily sign his own midfielders and align the style of play around them) but so much of what Bruce has been doing at the moment would frustrate the hell of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

A lucky, lucky point for Villa. Defo 2nd best in 2nd half.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Is Amavi usually that bad? Looked decent at the start of last season but did villa really turn down 25m?
    He was woeful and he is defensively suspect. I wouldn't have turned down 25 million. With Xia being Chinese too I'd be a bit wary of the story.

• Advertisement

Lucky? Hardly as we were the better side.

Yeah, you'd swear Kodjia didn't have 2 clear chances to win the games after equalising. Give over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

eh i dunno wrote: »

He is hit and miss. Usually solid but prone to the odd blunder when playing LB can prove costly but a good player which decent prospects as has speed, good vision and looks to get on the ball and tries to make things happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Said a few weeks ago that Adomah is the only attacking player besides Kodjia that should definitely be starting. Offers lot more than the stop, put your foot on the ball and slow things up wing play that Grealish used to and especially Ayew frustratingly do.

Unlucky to be 1-0 down but at the same time really struggled to break Leeds down when behind. The team offers so little in midfield going forward and controlling wise, hopefully that'll be addressed in January. Kodjia does hold onto the ball too long but can justify it when he can produce the chances he does, unlike Ayew who does the same thing and offers almost nothing striking wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

How can you be that unfit if you're Ross McCormack?? Terrible application.

I wouldn't be upset if we never saw Ayew again.

So many position's that need to be strengthed in that side. Midfield, right back, a good left sided midfielder and possibly a goalkeeper

I'm surprised people don't think Villa were lucky. The chances in that last hectic few minutes were all well and good but after going 1-0 down, Leeds were definitely the better side.

Ya Ross has got man boobs should be embrassed as a pro footballer. In saying that he has taken a while to settle at VP but is proven in the championship and looks like he can create chances.

rebelomar wrote: »
    How can you be that unfit if you're Ross McCormack?? Terrible application.

I wouldn't be upset if we never saw Ayew again.

So many position's that need to be strengthed in that side. Midfield, right back, a good left sided midfielder and possibly a goalkeeper

Thought Ross did really well when he came on, I think we will see him start against Cardiff on Monday, him and Adamoh were great when they came on, Gestede did well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

The big difference between the sides was application. We were always under pressure in possession and they were not.
    You can have all the skill and talent in the world but if you don't back it up with effort, then you will not get out of this league.
    Not going to mention individuals but we are currently carrying a few passengers.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    I'm surprised people don't think Villa were lucky. The chances in that last hectic few minutes were all well and good but after going 1-0 down, Leeds were definitely the better side.

Controlled the 1st half and parts of the 2nd half till the game opened up after the pen. Leeds were only treathening from setpieces before this. A draw a fair result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

CSF wrote: »
    Yeah, you'd swear Kodjia didn't have 2 clear chances to win the games after equalising. Give over.

Take off the claret glasses :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Leeds scored from one of their first shots. Possession and attacking were all villa. We were poor in attack but could have had 2 goals before their one. After their goal it was fairly even in terms of chances but overall we had more.

Take off the claret glasses :(

Not having that.

Controlled the 1st half and parts of the 2nd half till the game opened up after the pen. Leeds were only treathening from setpieces before this. A draw a fair result

If Villa were 1-0 at half time I'd agree but weren't, Villa had bit more of it in the first half but it was dull enough tbh. The pen was scored in the 86th min, home team trying to score is always a bit hectic so late on. After Leeds scored they were the better team, if the Leeds defender didn't lose his head and give away the pen I don't think anyone would have said a draw would have been fair after that second half.

matrim wrote: »
    Leeds scored from one of their first shots. Possession and attacking were all villa. We were poor in attack but could have had 2 goals before their one. After their goal it was fairly even in terms of chances but overall we had more.

Leeds had more possession in the first half. Villa were a bit more attacking but to be honest they only really looked at it when everyone is thrown on and it's desperation to find a goal, a common theme this season. After Leeds scored they looked more comfortable than Villa looked all game, don't have to have 10 shots to be playing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

matrim wrote: »
    In the first half he chased back from their box to ours to put on a good tackle and stop a shot. He's also started at least 3 good attacks. But he's the easy target so we'll ignore his good work

He's a good player. He has been picked more times than not by 5 managers at the club. That in itself says something. 4 of those managers picked him practically every week.

I genuinely can't understand what people are missing, off the ball he's very good and he rarely misses a 5-10 yard pass which can't be said about Jedinak, Bacuna, Gardener, Sanchez, Gueye, Veretout, and practically any player who played along side him at Villa.

Anyway, glad to get a point. Leeds could have had 3 by the time we got the goal. Think Kodija going out for the month might be a show us what else we have up front. He's a talent but like Baros, plays with the head down and doesn't see what's happening around him.

Despite his flaws holding onto the ball, Kodjia will be a big loss. About the only player that looks like doing something when he has the ball and gives a great energetic option off it. He actually has a threat in frot of goal too, which practically no one else has. I look at Ayew and I wonder does he even like scoring goals or having shots, he rarely gets close to doing either. The current midfield will find 90 min a lot tougher without the outlet that Kodjia's provides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Sono wrote: »
    Lucky? Hardly as we were the better side.

Is this post serious?

Leeds were cruising at 1 up. Villa were literally punting the ball into the box hoping to get lucky. Meanwhile Leeds hit the bar twice and had Sacko wasted a number of chances to make it 3 nil.

Cooper handles it. The ref gives a kick out. The Villa players completely harass the ref (I think Gestede actually barged him, should have been sent off) and he changes his mind.

Genuinely don't know how you could say Villa were the better team.

Even BBC and The Guardian match reports stating Leeds should have come away with the 3 points.

quarryman wrote: »
    Is this post serious?

Leeds were cruising at 1 up. Villa were literally punting the ball into the box hoping to get lucky. Meanwhile Leeds hit the bar twice and had Sacko wasted a number of chances to make it 3 nil.

Cooper handles it. The ref gives a kick out. The Villa players completely harass the ref (I think Gestede actually barged him, should have been sent off) and he changes his mind.

Even BBC and The Guardian match reports stating Leeds should have come away with the 3 points.

Leeds hand balled it.

The decision was not hard.

Then Leeds players stood around the box trying to intimidate kodija. Even kicking a hole in the peno spot with band if the heel.

Standard fare though I suppose. Quality....

Is this post serious?

While I agree that Leeds were quite unlucky not to win in the second half, you make it seem that Villa players changed his mind, his spoke with his assistant and gave the correct decision. Should be more worried about how the centre half does such a daft thing.

• Advertisement

Bruce confirmed after the game that a Premier League team are in talks over signing Gestede, Boro most probably.

People wonder why some question what Westwood brings to the team.

While I think he is a decent lad and a good pro, he does not do enough to win us games and we won't get out of this league while he remains as a starter.

I know it's a small sample size but here's some staggering stats on his starting record under Bruce

Games started: 6

Results: DDWLLD

Games NOT started:7

DWWWWWW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

While I agree that Leeds were quite unlucky not to win in the second half, you make it seem that Villa players changed his mind, his spoke with his assistant and gave the correct decision. Should be more worried about how the centre half does such a daft thing.

Watch it again. The ref signals for a kickout and starts to move away. The Villa players surround him and he escapes to the linesman (who couldn't possibly see from his angle) and the decision is reversed.

I'm not saying it wasn't a peno, I think it was. But a team shouldn't be allowed to intimidate the officials into changing their minds.

Is this post serious?

Villa better 1st half, Leeds better second half but villa had the better of the chances in the game so yes I feel we should have won but it's irrelevant because we didn't

Is this post serious?

The second hitting of the bar was at 1-1.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Whether the Villa players intimidated the ref to review the call or whether the linesman contacted him after his initial call to discuss it is probably a moot point, and to be fair it was a penalty. What I can't understand is how the ref didn't book any of the Villa players for their behaviour, especially the guy who barged him. No player should be allowed get away with that, and I'd say the same thing if it was a Leeds player.

Zaph wrote: »
    Whether the Villa players intimidated the ref to review the call or whether the linesman contacted him after his initial call to discuss it is probably a moot point, and to be fair it was a penalty. What I can't understand is how the ref didn't book any of the Villa players for their behaviour, especially the guy who barged him. No player should be allowed get away with that, and I'd say the same thing if it was a Leeds player.

Thought it was bacuna and not Rudy that bumped into the ref but am open to correction on that one.

He was being a bit lenient all night. Thought the Leeds cb should have been booked earlier than he was for taking out Grealish cynically but there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I agree that Bacuna (in particular) was very lucky to not get booked after running into the ref. But equally the Leeds players were lucky to not get booked for interfering with the kick after it was given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Watch it again. The ref signals for a kickout and starts to move away. The Villa players surround him and he escapes to the linesman (who couldn't possibly see from his angle) and the decision is reversed.

I'm not saying it wasn't a peno, I think it was. But a team shouldn't be allowed to intimidate the officials into changing their minds.
    The assistant referee actually signals for a peno, the referee just doesn't notice until a few seconds after. Villa players were unnecessarily aggressive but assistant signalled for it and rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Gestede was booked.

And looking at the stats so was Bacuna both in 86th minute

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

We were lucky to get away with a point we only played well for first twenty minutes and needed to score then. After that we seemed to have no coherent game plan and I don't know what we were actually trying to do.
    Leeds were much more composed than us 2nd half they were much livelier and passed the ball far better than us. An undeserved and lucky point for us I think.

Johnstone agrees to sign on loan from United for rest of the season apparently.

Wonder would he get straight in ahead of Gollini.

listermint wrote: »
    Wonder would he get straight in ahead of Gollini.
    Here's hoping he's the answer. While not a howler, I thought Bunn should have saved their goal yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Don't know how he can be the answer, only ever played on loan at various clubs. Don't know any thing about him.

United friends talk highly of him. However I know little of him. But tbf to the coaches there they do know a good keeper and always have.

JPA wrote: »
    Don't know how he can be the answer, only ever played on loan at various clubs. Don't know any thing about him.
    By all accounts, Premier League clubs wanted him so he must have something. I'm just yet to see what that something is as I've never seen him in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

CSF wrote: »
    Here's hoping he's the answer. While not a howler, I thought Bunn should have saved their goal yesterday.

Yes thought as well, the ball went under his body and there was no power as it squeezed over the line Kodjia might also have stopped it going over.

• Advertisement

Jenkinson any closer to signing? And what about the midfield issue, any links?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement