Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭LeBash

Tish put out a weird tweet today. Few people think he's either gone or out on loan. Few others saying he's a bit of a trouble maker.

When I've seen him he looks like the athletic type midfielder we need if we want to play with only 2 in the midfield.

Bruce isn't going to get what he wants in this window but will be interesting to see what he is targeting. The football is still woeful since he joined but the results are a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Derby have a bid for 2.5 million in for Lansbury. Can't see why Villa wouldn't try and beat them to that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

CSF wrote: »
    Derby have a bid for 2.5 million in for Lansbury. Can't see why Villa wouldn't try and beat them to that one.

Agreed. He's a quality player at this level and would slot right into our midfield perfectly, 2.5m is nothing in today's market

Sono wrote: »
    Agreed. He's a quality player at this level and would slot right into our midfield perfectly, 2.5m is nothing in today's market
    Exactly. Now I'm sure it'd be more than that opening offer, and more again once our name is thrown into the mix, but even at 5 million it would represent value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Patser

Jedinak out completely - injured? And Kodjia - African nations cup?

Wonder does this make for a 4411

Bunn Hutton Chester Baker Amavi Bacuna Gardner Westwood Adamoh Grealish McCormack

Gestede also missing from bench, Hepburn-Murphy there (with Gabby and Ayew)

Edit: double checked and Kodjia is off to NAC, but bizarrely we asked could Ayew delay his departure for this match, then benched him.

• Advertisement

Glad to see Jedinak dropped, he's been bloody useless anyway.

Will go for a 3-1 away win! Ross x 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Panrich

That midfield is putrid especially against a physical Warnock side. We really need to strengthen this area ASAP.

1 nil down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Panrich wrote: »
    That midfield is putrid especially against a physical Warnock side. We really need to strengthen this area ASAP.

1 down.

Look, its still first half and all, so plenty of time for things to change, but, have we ever looked better starting with 2 in the middle than 3. Before the scapegoat conversation comes out, I'm gonna point out that I'm not watching the game so have no idea how he is performing today, but Westwood is not capable of performing in a midfield 2.

Nearly 2 weeks until the next game and if we're not looking at a much changed side (not just this flipflopping between Westwood, Gardner and Jedinak) I'll be getting seriously worried because Bruce clearly appears to be losing his way with recent lineups and needs to put his stamp on things or he'll likely fail.

• Advertisement

Listening on the official site and we're lucky to be only one down.

They're kicking Grealish all over the pitch and commentary say it looks like he's being deliberately targeted. We are being bullied so far.

McCormack isolated up front and not much support coming from anywhere.

Listening on the official site and we're lucky to be only one down.

They're kicking Grealish all over the pitch and commentary say it looks like he's being deliberately targeted. We are being bullied.

What else would you expect from the lovely Warnock.

Look, its still first half and all, so plenty of time for things to change, but, have we ever looked better starting with 2 in the middle than 3. Before the scapegoat conversation comes out, I'm gonna point out that I'm not watching the game so have no idea how he is performing today, but Westwood is not capable of performing in a midfield 2.

Nearly 2 weeks until the next game and if we're not looking at a much changed side (not just this flipflopping between Westwood, Gardner and Jedinak) I'll be getting seriously worried because Bruce clearly appears to be losing his way with recent lineups and needs to put his stamp on things or he'll likely fail.

But Bruce is just playing the hand he's been given. He can't make another central midfielder out of thin air. The window will tell us a little about what way he wants to set up a team.

Tishbola and Gabby for Westwood and Gardner

Much better this half but still no goal. Hepburn Murphy on for McCormack

Poor result. Been coming with our performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Watched suicide squad. That movie is better than villa.

Dreadful result. Alot has been made of how well Bruce has been doing, but of the 9 sides ahead of Villa before today's game, 7 of them had more points than Villa under the same period since Bruce has come in. So it isn't as if Bruce is showing playoff form and suffering from the points tally achieved by Di Matteo.

With all that said, and I'm not happy with how Bruce has done so far, in terms of team selections, results and performances, now is probably a time to show the patience that Villa haven't been able to show upto now. We aren't in a situation of dire urgency like the one Lambert, Sherwood and Garde felt with relegation looming and he isn't a complete horror show like Di Matteo was so I feel it is a matter of hoping he can address in January and starts to build something alot better than what we're currently seeing, and things should be reassessed at the end of the season.

Always in favour of a plan stretching over a number of seasons but we have to see progress in the last 5 months of this season too.

Dreadful result. Alot has been made of how well Bruce has been doing, but of the 9 sides ahead of Villa before today's game, 7 of them had more points than Villa under the same period since Bruce has come in. So it isn't as if Bruce is showing playoff form and suffering from the points tally achieved by Di Matteo.

With all that said, and I'm not happy with how Bruce has done so far, in terms of team selections, results and performances, now is probably a time to show the patience that Villa haven't been able to show upto now. We aren't in a situation of dire urgency like the one Lambert, Sherwood and Garde felt with relegation looming and he isn't a complete horror show like Di Matteo was so I feel it is a matter of hoping he can address in January and starts to build something alot better than what we're currently seeing, and things should be reassessed at the end of the season.

Always in favour of a plan stretching over a number of seasons but we have to see progress in the last 5 months of this season too.

The critical issue for me is how important promotion is for the new owner and his plans. If he is willing to splash the cash in January and accept the fact it might not guarantee a playoff spot then Bruce can really begin to shape a side for an automatic promotion challenge next season without having to buy players on a short term view of who might do a job for the rest of this season.

Dreadful result but it's been coming. The stats for the second half show good improvement on the first half but still lose.

I know options were limited with Gestede heading to Middlesborough (The Villa castaways choice it seems this season) and Kodjia gone. McCormack is never going to do it that far up the pitch, it's been painfully obvious since about November. Jedinak was probably missed with how physical the game was also but we should still be able to drag a draw out of an away game with a team that far down the division.

See some links with Brady appearing again and Toner loan is not being extended even though he has 18 appearances so far. The Johnstone loan is a big risk. Bunn isn't up to first choice, Gollini has a mistake in him and we are replacing them with a 23 year old. Surely there is a decent number 2 willing to make a move.

• Advertisement

The critical issue for me is how important promotion is for the new owner and his plans. If he is willing to splash the cash in January and accept the fact it might not guarantee a playoff spot then Bruce can really begin to shape a side for an automatic promotion challenge next season without having to buy players on a short term view of who might do a job for the rest of this season.
    Oh I don't know about that. If Xia splashes the cash (for what its worth I don't think he will and we're looking at loan deals and castoffs) then playoffs is a must for Bruce to carry on next season. If he is allowed sign players to fix the weaknesses in the squad, what excuse can he have to not bridge the 7 point gap with 21 games remaining in the season?

IMO, the only way Bruce can fail to finish in the top 6 this season and stay on, is if he does so without breaking the bank, and we still see a noticeable improvement from the millions already spent over the last 5 months of the season.

Basically, if we're in May talking about how we didn't make the playoffs and how average we were, he goes. If we're talking about how we didn't make the playoffs but about the obvious positives that we can take into next season, then no reason not to give him a shot at a season with a pre-season.

Absolutely desperate to have a manager in charge to build a bit of stability at the club, but it needs to be because it is a good idea to keep that manager, not because we're sick of crap managers getting sacked early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Disappointing result and it's something away from home that needs to change. It all comes down to the midfield tbh and Jedinak today was a big loss, the one player in midfield away from home that you wouldn't want to be out. I don't expect to see Westwood and Gardner in the team anymore after that performance and especially after Bruce's comments following the game. Tshibola has played himself into the team. Bruce admitted after the game that he picked the wrong team and I think comments like that sound the death knell for a few players at this club. He has made mistakes as manager but I don't think it should be understated the progress there's been as well. The midfield left at the club are of an appalling quality, and I think Bruce is as fed up of some of them in there as we are. He's also made tough decisions to try out other player when needed, Elphick, Gollini, Ayew, all dropped when needed. The problem is most of the team could be labelled as 'could be dropped' but of course that isn't possible.

The first half was shocking today and Bruce of course will have to take responsibility and I think going by what he said after the match it he has and his minds been made up on quite a few players I think. I firmly believe Bruce is the man to improve the team and the club though, it'll be a big window but some good midfield signings could change the team drastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

Like Norwich this was disappointing today, it's two steps forward one step back we just don't seem to be able to get any momentum to get in to the top six. 7 points from 12 we are just not putting enough points on the board

Two weeks until we play Wolves away so let's hope for some new additions in midfield and not too much of a whipping next week against Spurs.

Was at the Wolves game at the weekend btw (had booked flights for the Leeds game before it was changed for TV) and they were absolutely dire. Lambert seems to have them with no shape or pattern and they can barely pass a ball at times.

Real chance to go there and take a win if you can get one or 2 bodies in by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Saw a stat there that in the first half Westwood and Gardner had a combined 9 touches of the ball. Westy with 2 passes while Gards had 3.

Lads, if we were playing Real Madrid I'd still think those stats were a disgrace to be honest.

Admittedly without viewing the game with my own eyes it's hard to grasp how they could be that poor but Jesus wept lads...it doesn't point to a very committed display either.

I know the options were limited but picking McCormack up top on his own was a baffling decision. He's not fit enough for a start but even in peak condition he isn't suited to the job.

Hopefully Bruce gets some of his own players in now...and puts a stamp on the side. Stevie Wonder can see the gaps in the squad at this stage so he'll be judged accordingly at the end of the season.

Conor Hourihane has been linked I'd love to see him and Robbie Brady come in. Both have cracking left feet and would bring a good attitude and technical ability to the thing as well.

Any other thoughts on who might be coming in??

If any or all of Ayew, Gestede or Westwood were to be moved on I wouldn't be too upset.

The above is my issue with Westwood and instead of getting scapegoated I actually finds he gets away with it somewhat on the back of it (with some, obviously there are others who feel very strongly about him so clearly I'm not talking about those).

He has so little involvement in games that there is very little time for him to do something wrong. I remember him tracking back for one in the Leeds game and he won it and I remember being genuinely surprised to see him involved in something.

Gestede looks to be going. Fee agreed with Middlesbrough

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/38492332

Hopefully it frees up funds for an actual goalscorer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Crazy that he's going back to the Premiership, probably one of the worst strikers we've ever had. One or two good games maybe, but overall dire.

Looks as though we're getting about what was paid for him too which is a very nice situation. I get that there has been an inflation of transfer fees all around, but still.

• Advertisement

Crazy that he's going back to the Premiership, probably one of the worst strikers we've ever had. One or two good games maybe, but overall dire.

Maybe he's alright in the championship with the right style of play but he's nowhere near a PL player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Perhaps he is super in training or has some mad stats on football manager. Im not seeing it myself.

We'll get to see what could have been. Adama Traore crossing for Rudy.

Good luck with that Boro

Traore is an enigma. Watching highlights of him since he joined Boro, his pace is unreal and floats by players but his crossing and final ball seems dire. Karanka's got stuck into him for not tracking back as well.

Villa linked to Lansbury today. Would be happy with him only if we got someone else in there to compliment him. He can be a bit hot and cold apparently but is certainly an upgrade on Westwood and Gardner.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

probably one of the worst strikers we've ever had.

Surely that award goes to Libor Kozak?

Surely that award goes to Libor Kozak?

Balaban, hands down.

Gestede will suit Middlesborough. They have out and out wingers who can cross. We never did that with him in the team. Last season we were crossing to Gabby and trying trough balls for Rudi.

Apparently we have offered 3 million for Lansbury and Derby bid of 2.5 was turned down. Forrest apparently want 4.

Saw a link to McCarthy as well but not so sure that's what we need even of its true.

Also Amavi apparently has a 17 million offer coming in for him from France. He's decent and not cup tied in Europe so might be big interest in him and I doubt he will want to stay if the right offer comes in for him.

• Advertisement

If the 25 million offer was rejected I don't see the 17 million one being met with joy.

If the 25 million offer was rejected I don't see the 17 million one being met with joy.

It's reckoned the 25 million was a load of rich creamery butter. If Amavi wanted to go for 17 million you'd have to take it.

Gestede gone to Boro. Probably a good move for both parties there. Best of luck to the chap.

Yeah don't think he ever lacked in effort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Twitter rumours that Kozak has gone to FC Opava

• Advertisement

Strong rumours that Lansbury is on his way. £3m the fee.

Corholio wrote: »
    Strong rumours that Lansbury is on his way. £3m the fee.

To be fair it's a good deal for that kinda money. Hourihane's contract is up this summer too so maybe a similar fee could tempt Barnsley.

If you got both lads for the Gestede fee it would be a nice bit business.

You heard it here first people ;)

Looks like Gollini might be gone. We are looking at Smithies from QPR even though the Johnstone deal is all but done.

Also having a look at Fofana who's been 2 years at some French 2nd division team. He's a defensive midfielder.

You heard it here first people ;)

Dr. Xia is a member of boards.

Thanks Tony.

Johnstone expected to officially sign on loan tomorrow.

Smithies looked a really good keeper when he was at Huddersfield, don't know how he's done at QPR to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

LeBash wrote: »
    Looks like Gollini might be gone. We are looking at Smithies from QPR even though the Johnstone deal is all but done.

Also having a look at Fofana who's been 2 years at some French 2nd division team. He's a defensive midfielder.

Wesley Fofana?? You know he's that good at rugby he could probably do a job somewhere. And in so doing, he could be our second eminent signing from Clermont, after the legend of Jean II Makoun.

EDIT: Sorry got mixed up, it was actually Sylla that we signed from Clermont.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Wesley Fofana?? You know he's that good at rugby he could probably do a job somewhere. And in so doing, he could be our second eminent signing from Clermont, after the legend of Jean II Makoun.

EDIT: Sorry got mixed up, it was actually Sylla that we signed from Clermont.

Wesley never put a patient on his second name and this guy had the audacity to go and use it!!!

Anyway, there is a rumour the Lansbury deal is just about to hit the rocks for us. Celtic are interested and because they are a foreign club they can just offer a contract and wait until the end of the season. The problem will be the wages, Celtic will bump them up because there is no fee to take him. 3 million on a 3 year contact is 17.5 k per week roughly, Celtic just need to top our offer with no fee.

Interestingly Villa nearly signed that Fofana guy's brother when Houllier was in charge but Houllier plugged the plug after a back injury cropped up in a medical. He actually retired from football this year at only age 25 after missing 2 years with injury at Lyon.

On the Lansbury thing, unless he's specifically determined to go to Celtic there's no way they would offer bigger wages than Villa, even allowing for the free agent-contract situation. I see Watford might be interested as well so that could complicate things.

Bit of talk that Villa have had a bid rejected from Brighton for Dale Stephens. Linked with Villa a few times before last few years. Would be a very good signings and with Brighton's pursuit of Loftus Cheek on loan, who knows.

Also, Sam Johnstone signs on loan for the season.

C1Z__X2XUAEXMtR.jpg

So Johnstone confirmed and Lansbury looks to be confirmed early next week, who next? Another central midfielder should be top of the list imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement