Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

So we have gone from being top heavy with strikers to being left with 2 strikers for a whole month who neither are in form and when Ayew and Kodjia come back the season is pretty much gone from us, utterly depressing.

Gestede would have been good to have today seeing as we were sending crosses in but had no height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Honestly if you could get half of your money back for McCormack and a team to take his wages, I'd learn to drive just to drive him there.

He is starting to look more and more in Gabby shape too, like he had a very fun Christmas.

Am I the only one who thinks Adomah isn't that great? threatens but he's not good at beating the last man at the important moment.

On a positive note I thought Green wasn't bad when he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Hands up those who are impressed by our form since Calderwood came on board!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Apparently there's interest in Egyptian striker Basem Morsy worth a punt I guess if we signed him he would have to be the first Egyptian to play for Aston Villa?
    pcPPH2rM.jpg
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4121016/West-Brom-eyeing-Egypt-international-Basem-Morsy-Stoke-Aston-Villa-interested.html
    At least he looks in better shape than McCormack

• Advertisement

Panrich wrote: »
    Hands up those who are impressed by our form since Calderwood came on board!
    I find it hard to blame him. The reasons for our issues are so blatant and glaring that I'm not overly prone to question the coaching.

Can't blame Calderwood that no matter what goalkeeper we play, they're destined to suffer howlers in most games, that Elphick keeps finding his way into the team, that Westwood seems to creep his way into the team every game or 2, despite not having had one obviously impressive performance all season, and that Gabby and McCormack must be failing bleep tests all over the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

Should have gone with Chris Houghton from the very start. Never finished outside the top 6 when he started the season at a club.

I still think Bruce needs the window, it's glaringly obvious to everyone we need numbers in midfield and he is trying to address it. The Lansbury deal to me, won't work. Gil and Grealish both play a similar game but I can't ever remember Villa utilising that type of player

Bacuna lost more ball last night than Sanchez normally did, he needs to be out of the team.

Gabby, Elphick and McCormack aren't working out but there are no replacements at the club that are fit.

Here's the mad thing about last night. Hutton was the only player in the back 4 not to give away a silly chance on goal. Thought he was very good last night and cover well for Elphick and Tish mistakes.

Think we are a different animal at the back when Baker is fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

In the first few games under Bruce we looked to be attacking and defending as a team. We had a bit of confidence in what we were doing and were starting to look as though we knew what we were trying to achieve. The loss away to Leeds was the game where things began to fall away. Since that loss, our form has been poor. We have not had a convincing performance since.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

If you want to improve, you have to buy players that would get into teams at the level you want to play at.

The signings this season have spent the majority of their careers in the Championship.

You're not going to get promoted to the Premier League with Championship players.

If you want to improve, you have to buy players that would get into teams at the level you want to play at.

The signings this season have spent the majority of their careers in the Championship.

You're not going to get promoted to the Premier League with Championship players.
    I agree as a general rule, but Chester, Adomah and Kodjia have worked quite well. Unfortunately McCormack and Elphick have done less well. Jedinak sits somewhere in the middle.

I remember after the first 2 games thinking Elphick was going to be symbolic of the new hungry, non-bloated Villa, which I think Di Matteo to his credit was. Who could have imagined how badly both Di Matteo and Elphick would have ended up being?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

To spend £50 mill and be where we are now is a failure I think it's highly unlikely we'll reach the play offs the bigger question for Xia is whether to stick with Bruce for next season.

Yesterday's performance was appalling and as bad as anything I've seen over the past few seasons. I don't think their goalie had a shot to save and while Wolves didn't create much they controlled the game. The luck Bruce had earlier has run out and I think we need to get used to the idea of playing championship football next season.

I wouldn't give up hope yet if we can hold on to our unbeaten home record it would be something positive which can give the team confidence going forward our next two matches are Preston & Bristol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Need some players, pretty painful when Preston go after players on a free like Horgan and we are paying strong money for the likes of elphick and mccormack

listermint wrote: »
    Need some players, pretty painful when Preston go after players on a free like Horgan and we are paying strong money for the likes of elphick and mccormack
    It's easier sometimes at a club like Preston. People don't go there for an easy payday because the money isn't there. Hungry players go there to prove themselves and make a better career for themself. Those who don't do well are usually easy enough to shift.

Players like Elphick and McCormack have come to Villa knowing they've now got 4 years on a really cushy wage without ever having to push themselves again. Look at the state McCormack is in for example. Can barely run, disgrace to his profession.

Then you've people like Gabby who wouldn't even go on loan when he was rightly frozen out of the squad. So content to just sit there and earn big bucks without ever trying a leg.

For me, Bruce proved he isn't the man to fix this club when he brought Gabby back into the fold. Villa are so in need of someone to come in and trim the fat, turn this into a club where hungry players come to improve themselves by improving the fortunes of the club. Instead he brought back a character who is essentially the equivalent in his profession to one of those cowboy tradesmen you see in those ropey documentaries on TV3.

I wouldn't be advocating getting rid of Bruce anytime soon. I think he should be given every chance to see the error of his ways (no point lumbering a new manager with this bunch of wasters with no chance to change them either). Freeze out the consistent underperformers and give young players (and preferably new signings and loan signings too) the chance to prove themselves.

That won't happen and we will see plenty more of McCormack, Gabby, Elphick and Westwood (not in the same category of the other 3 wasters but has still been far too many chances with no payoff). And when that happens I'd be looking for someone new to lead the clear out and spend the next batch of Xia's money.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Would you take Robbie Keane?

I would 100%

Another striker who can no longer move, would fit in perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Sono wrote: »
    Another striker who can no longer move, would fit in perfectly.

Keane scores goals. I'd take him in a heartbeat

He was fantastic for us on loan, he'd no legs then even.

Clever footballers don't need legs.

Synode wrote: »
    Keane scores goals. I'd take him in a heartbeat

Come on he is past it, great back in the day but not anymore

• Advertisement

His 16 goals in 17 appearances for LA Galaxy in 2016 says your wrong

He could be our Zlatan.

His 16 goals in 17 appearances for LA Galaxy in 2016 says your wrong

In a Mickey Mouse league, how can you even use this to support your claim he should sign for us.

Robbie does not do enough in games and we cannot afford another passenger that is my point, we have enough of them already

He can only play what's in front of him and there's no denying he scores goals. He can hardly be any worse than McCormack or Gabby. As long as he's not looking for stupid money, I'd take him any day

He can only play what's in front of him and there's no denying he scores goals. He can hardly be any worse than McCormack or Gabby. As long as he's not looking for stupid money, I'd take him any day

The nuts and bolts are that he knows which direction the goal is, nips goals from crosses and manages to be where the a balls is.

We are able to cross balls in consistently and get nice through balls but our strikers think the goal is about 8 foot left or right of its actual position.

You only have to watch the last 10 games to see, they tend to be in the area , but just cant finish the goods.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

He couldn't make us worse especially if he limited Gabby's time on the pitch but he would of course not be a solution long term. I just want CMs in quick or at the least one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I don't fully blame Bruce for playing Gabby initially. He wasn't in the club, he didn't have the opinions or the chance to have the opinions towards Gabby that a lot of supporters have. To him he was a player at the club that he wanted to try out. He's clearly not up to it though and I wouldn't be forcing him up front with any more chances. Everything revolves around the midfield for me, I still believe there's very good players at the club who will play much better with an improved midfield, it's dire at the moment. Jedinak has done well since he came in considering who has played beside him in most matches. Players like McCormack, who thrives on service, not aerially or hopeful balls, but players who can pass to him. Grealish is another one in the same category for me, disappointing so far but left short changed a bit from the squad built previously with the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Keane=better than Flabby

Steve Bruce, if you're listening, get on to Chelsea, we want Begovic and Zouma on loan.

Sign Lansbury, tell Delph to get his tail out from between his legs and come back, James McCarthy will do if not.

Robbie Brady and tell Ulloa it's time to get off the bench.

• Advertisement

Steve Bruce, if you're listening, get on to Chelsea, we want Begovic and Zouma on loan.

Sign Lansbury, tell Delph to get his tail out from between his legs and come back, James McCarthy will do if not.

Robbie Brady and tell Ulloa it's time to get off the bench.
    Yeah, don't get too excited. It's 6 clubs in 7 years 31 year old Adelene Guedioura being linked today. Which would obviously be a great step in easing our need for a young, hungry and ambitious squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Corholio wrote: »
    Players like McCormack, who thrives on service, not aerially or hopeful balls, but players who can pass to him.

The only thing McCormack thrives on are 3-in1s and buckets of chicken from KFC

The only thing McCormack thrives on are 3-in1s and buckets of chicken from KFC

Another weight joke, top class.

It's really not a laughing matter though. How have you got 2 strikers up there who have allowed themselves get completely out of match shape?

I honestly believe right now that we're in as bad a state as we were last season, the difference being that the quality of opposition isn't as strong so as to keep hammering us every week.

We are in serious panic mode IMO and look like we've to spend probably as much on as many as in the summer, just to get things slightly together.

Routledge being linked with a move to Birmingham. I'd take him back on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

I think Bruce is mentally scarred by Gabby from his time at Wigan. I've a vague memory of Gabby always scoring winners against Bruce's teams a decade ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Cissokho gone to Olympiacos on loan until the end of the season

matrim wrote: »
    Cissokho gone to Olympiacos on loan until the end of the season

I assume that means Amavi isn't going anywhere this window.

LeBash wrote: »
    I assume that means Amavi isn't going anywhere this window.

Amavi has been fairly poor this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Especially after Villa supposedly turning down a big Chinese bid for him I can't imagine other teams stumping up cash to take him after his injury as Villa's form and with that his hasn't set the world alight. So young though he will improve if he gets better players around him and he can have more freedom in his role as a result.

Amavi has been fairly poor this season.

Agreed, Doesn't mean we can operate without a left back though.

• Advertisement

He was excellent before the injury, it would be great if he could find that form again, although if he did he won't stick around.

He was excellent before the injury, it would be great if he could find that form again, although if he did he won't stick around.

When he first came he started well but was dropped by Sherwood after a few mistakes. I think he would have gotten back into the side but he did have a few bad games.

I felt that this year he started slow, which is understandable after his injury. Then was good for about 2 months and ever since the 25m rumour he's been poor

Keane=better than Flabby

He lost all the weight you can't call him that any-more and Keane has never been known for his physique in either case what does it matter as long as you score goals

He lost all the weight you can't call him that any-more and Keane has never been known for his physique in either case what does it matter as long as you score goals

Which flabby can't and hasn't for some some time...

No point in having goal scorers if you can't make the chances, much more of a priority imo. The team is relying on Bacuna, Westwood and Gardner to create the chances from midfield (makes my eyes hurt even typing that), it's even more of a problem when you have under performing players like Grealish and Ayew from the wings. I'd like to see someone like Rhodes at the club but it's pointless if it's with the same players behind him.

I wouldn't sign Rhodes.

Corholio wrote: »
    No point in having goal scorers if you can't make the chances, much more of a priority imo. The team is relying on Bacuna, Westwood and Gardner to create the chances from midfield (makes my eyes hurt even typing that), it's even more of a problem when you have under performing players like Grealish and Ayew from the wings. I'd like to see someone like Rhodes at the club but it's pointless if it's with the same players behind him.

Don't forget Hutton :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

One of the problems and the Wolves game is a good example is that our build up play is so slow that it allows the opposition defence to get set up and deal with our "attack" with ease. I don't think we had any shots on target Saturday. How often do we see the ball go out to Hutton and to a degree Adomah and produce nothing.

We also have a habit of getting a free kick in the middle of the park and taking a quick,short, sideways free kick which invariably ends up being no advantage whatsoever, corners and other set pieces also seem to be ineffective.

pavb2 wrote: »

We also have a habit of getting a free kick in the middle of the park and taking a quick,short, sideways free kick which invariably ends up being no advantage whatsoever, corners and other set pieces also seem to be ineffective.

We are about 1-20 to beat the first man at any set piece. It's actually a joke and has been since after Big Eck left

I wouldn't sign Rhodes.

I wouldn't either if other players aren't signed as well but if they are I'd definitely take him. We have very few chance takers in the squad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement