Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

Corholio wrote: »
    I wouldn't either if other players aren't signed as well but if they are I'd definitely take him. We have very few chance takers in the squad.

I think at this stage just wait for Kodjia and plow all available funds into the midfield.

Even Gabby or Ross might score if we can make a few chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

This is agony I wish they would just sign Lansbury and get it over with it's being dragged on for too long if we don't get him after all this it'll be a big kick in the rocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

matrim wrote: »
    When he first came he started well but was dropped by Sherwood after a few mistakes. I think he would have gotten back into the side but he did have a few bad games.

I felt that this year he started slow, which is understandable after his injury. Then was good for about 2 months and ever since the 25m rumour he's been poor

I think Amavi's problem is he's quite an aggressive defender, as in, he's got a pretty low risk aversion when it comes to defending. He takes quite a lot of chances to win the ball back rather than just stand back and jockey his winger. 9 times out of 10 he's trying to nick the ball or nip in ahead of the attacker.

When it works for a full game he completely neutralises the winger and looks like a superstar. However when it doesn't work he can end up looking pretty foolish and gives the opposition clear opportunities to attack.

I think we'll continue to see him improve as he sharpens up but there'll still be mistakes as that's his part of his style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Bamford having a medical at boro so clears the way for rhodes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

pavb2 wrote: »
    We also have a habit of getting a free kick in the middle of the park and taking a quick,short, sideways free kick which invariably ends up being no advantage whatsoever, corners and other set pieces also seem to be ineffective.

Great point. It has been driving me mental looking at us hitting free kicks in the opposing half backwards and sidewards to a marked man.

Also watch our throw ins. On our throws, our players tend to be marked up or hiding behind the opposition so our default is a lob down the line to largest individual available. Contrast that with our tactic of letting the opposition get the game started by allowing a free pass to the nearest player before starting any effort to recover possession.

As you say, these things have been going on for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Bamford having a medical at boro so clears the way for rhodes
    Not that optimistic about Rhodes. Why has he made pretty much no impact at Middlesbrough? I'd be more eager to sign someone who has been doing well elsewhere but who will be hungry to make a real name for themself and become a Premier League player at Villa or elsewhere.

Eg. Jonathan Kodjia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

CSF wrote: »
    Not that optimistic about Rhodes. Why has he made pretty much no impact at Middlesbrough? I'd be more eager to sign someone who has been doing well elsewhere but who will be hungry to make a real name for themself and become a Premier League player at Villa or elsewhere.

Eg. Jonathan Kodjia.

He wasn't a Karanka signing apparently. I wouldn't mind Rhodes at all here, but the midfield needs to be sorted out along with it. No point having a goalscorer if he has to do twice as much work to get chances. Pat Murphy doesn't think the Rhodes thing is a go-er though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Expected to sign Lansbury by C.O.B tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Seems Lansbury is due for a medical according to the BBC...please now go and wrap up the Hourihane deal if we are really interested in him. Hourihane has got fantastic set piece delivery too which we seem to be lacking on a consistent basis.

I can't emphasise strongly enough how poor our midfield has been. Forgetting whatever levels of ability they might have for a second, Gardner and Westwood both look absolutely broken mentally at the moment. Their confidence is shot to pieces. I think taking them out of the firing line for a while will be a mercy.

I actually think we need three midfield signings to be honest because you couldn't rely on what's currently there if we suffered an injury to the potential new recruits.

As for Jedinak, I haven't been convinced by the man at all. His strengths are he does win a lot of tackles and headers and cuts put space well infront of the back four. He's brave when we don't have the ball but that's where the positives stop for me. He can't pass with any accuracy and has no idea about showing for the ball. I'll be interested to see if there is any improvement once he has better players either side of him but I'm not optimistic tbh.

I don't think there is any need for Rhodes to be honest..I'd much rather a good left sided winger than another striker. I'd rather not spend close to 10m again on another guy who can't get a game consistently with Scotland.

Ayew is a strange one.. at times he doesn't look interested at all but that could just be his natural body language. I think he's a striker to be honest and is totally lost out wide. I don't think it will work out for him even as a striker unless we start getting a greater foothold on games and having more possession.

I spoke to a French lad who is also a Lorient fan about him when he joined and he said he'd be a 12-15 goal striker at PL level but we haven't seen any evidence of that so far.

If he wants out and we get the rumoured fee I think it might be best for everyone.

• Advertisement

rebelomar wrote: »

Ayew at times doesn't look interested at all but that could just be his natural body language. I think he's a striker to be honest and is totally lost out wide.

No That's just that way he looks but he tries hard and does create things ya i agree he should be played up front

Ayew isn't a good enough striker to be played up front though imo, and what strengths he has i.e. running with the ball are much more dangerous outwide, but he hasn't even been able to play well with that. Selling him to fund signings is a no brainer for me.

Lansbury looks wrapped up and a few whispers that Hourihane mightn't be far behind him. Anton Donkor of Wolfsburg is another name that's been mentioned, on loan. Young 19 yo left winger. I think we do need a striker in some form. Kodjia has played his best stuff from out wide, Gabby is well.....Gabby, McCormack only works with a decent midfield because of his link up play and not sure Bruce trusts him there anyway. There's not one actual centre forward at the club.

A striker is a must. McCormack has got to be cashed in on while he still has any resale value and Gabby needs to be frozen out permanently until he finally agrees to f*ck off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

If you have watched Mccormack he does get into good positions but because our midfield is utter **** no player has the vision to supply him..now i think with a revamped midfield Mccormack might flourish

Our new midfield signings are possibly the most important I can remember as a Villa fan. We really need these lads to hit the ground running and please God they will. At the very least they should be a noticeable improvement on the existing midfield.

It will be interesting to see how we develop now as a side. I still think a good left winger is vital for the balance of the team. I'd actually like to see Green given a start at home to Preston on Saturday. Purely to give us some natural width and try and start stretching teams again.

I think us fans and those inside Villa Park would much rather see the youth given a chance before Gabby anyway

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    If you have watched Mccormack he does get into good positions but because our midfield is utter **** no player has the vision to supply him..now i think with a revamped midfield Mccormack might flourish
    He can't run and is heavily overweight for a footballer, negligently so. Watching him get utterly destroyed in a footrace with Richard f*cking Stearman the Wolves defender made me despair, feel like I was back watching the Villa of old once more. Another Joleon Lescott.

As long as the likes of him and Gabby, and to be honest Elphick too, are allowed put in such pathetic performances and keep a place in the squad, the club will never exit this dreary cloud that has been hanging over the club since Lambert's cheap as chips but hungry to succeed players philosophy ended and Villa became a job for the boys club.

The young lads like Grealish, Hepburn Murphy, Davis, Green (even Amavi) have absolutely no chance if they're being exposed to these kinds of guys as mentors and role models.

Sell McCormack, sell Elphick for whatever pennies you can get for him, freeze Gabby out (honestly the smartest decision Di Matteo actually made) and Steve Bruce may have a chance of saving the club.

Play the youth players and give them a chance if you have to, but most importantly, let every member of the squad know that you have to work hard to have a place at the club. I honestly can't see how young players could possibly perform any worse than Gabby or Elphick have but Bruce doesn't seem willing to start anyone who doesn't already have a reputation.

• Advertisement

Play the youth players and give them a chance if you have to, but most importantly, let every member of the squad know that you have to work hard to have a place at the club. I honestly can't see how young players could possibly perform any worse than Gabby or Elphick have but Bruce doesn't seem willing to start anyone who doesn't already have a reputation.

Not sure I agree with this part, who isn't he starting that doesn't have a reputation? Chester and Baker have been the central partnership, Elphick has only been in there through injuries. I don't see any central defender at the club who could go in there otherwise. Bruce has used Green, Davis and even Hepburn-Murphy when he thought the contract situation would be resolved. I'm all for playing youth but they have to be someway good enough as well, there's noone there you could say has to be starting, Villa have a pretty bad youth-senior team quality step up for quite a while now.

Not sure I agree with this part, who isn't he starting that doesn't have a reputation? Chester and Baker have been the central partnership, Elphick has only been in there through injuries. I don't see any central defender at the club who could go in there otherwise. Bruce has used Green, Davis and even Hepburn-Murphy when he thought the contract situation would be resolved. I'm all for playing youth but they have to be someway good enough as well, there's noone there you could say has to be starting, Villa have a pretty bad youth-senior team quality step up for quite a while now.
    My argument is not about playing youth. You think I wouldn't prefer Baker in there instead of an inexperienced young player and Kodjia in there ahead of Hepburn Murphy? It's about who we should be NOT playing. These are players whose poisonous unprofessional attitude spreads down through the club and this is why we are what we are as a club and have been for a few years. Think the likes of Sanchez, Veretout, Gil were terrible players? No they'll go on and do well elsewhere over the course of the career, but look what they had to share a dressing room and a pitch with.

I was under the impression when Di Matteo came in and banished Agbonlahor, got rid of Lescott and Guzan that this was coming to an end. Unfortunately Di Matteo wasn't very good at the footballing side of things, and Bruce has come in, undoubtedly isn't as tactically clueless as Di Matteo, but has let this jobs for the boys thing creep back in. Our strikeforce for the Wolves game was a guy who had to be put on a crash fitness regime so he could train as a footballer, and another lad who needs to be put on that same regime.

I'm well aware that these are not the first choice players in their position, but it can't be that when the first team players can't play or we need to bring on a sub, then on come the unprofessional wasters living off a reputation. If your performances are as poor as these guys have been, you just shouldn't be in the first 18. That goes some way towards instilling a minimum expectation from the players. At the moment there is none under Bruce. Do what you want, don't look after yourself, but it's a small squad so you'll get chances.

Not saying the Villa academy has producing the next Kodjia or Chester, because I've barely gotten to see them play. But if there is nothing in there that can match Agbonlahor, McCormack or Elphick's p*ss poor performances, then it's time to tear down the youth system and rebuild it from scratch. But I'm sure a few years people would have said Callum Robinson and Daniel Johnson for example wouldn't have been upto it, but I think we'd all like to have them now. You mention Green, Hepburn-Murphy and Davis but what is their cumulative amount of Championship minutes those guys have played? Would it even be 90?

I'd like to see strong first-team signings come in instead too, but if I've got a choice between giving a chance to young and hungry players, and playing unfit wasters. To me that is not a difficult decision, if for no other reason then the effect that this has on the rest of the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

The problem with Green, Hepburn Murphy, Sellars (injured?) & Davies is they haven't had enough game time so we don't know if they are going to cut it.

I think with the new signings SB & Xia think that the play offs are still possible so until that's no longer a possibility I can't see them playing much more. Once Kodjia's back I think thats the last we'll see of Gabby.

Again, they might not cut it. But they can't be any less productive than Gabby and McCormack have been. If one of them scores a fluke that hits off the back of his arse and deflects in he's already outdone Gabby.

The bare minimum to wear the Villa jersey on a football pitch has to be that you keep yourself in the sort of physical shape necessary for football and to take a bit of pride. If not pride for the shirt you're wearing (that's been fairly absent at Villa since this malaise set in) but at least in yourself and your career. I'll have someone who just wants to use Villa as a stepping stone in their career over these lads because at least those guys will actually try to impress.

If either Gabby or McCormack start on Saturday vs Preston I think that'll say it all for how Bruce treats lazy underperformers. Give Hepburn Murphy a shot. He might not be the answer. But he can't be any worse than those 2 have been, and who knows, he might actually be good.

And he might actually be slightly more inclined to sign a contract at the club if he isn't permanently stuck behind guys who have essentially no interest in being a professional footballer. I'm sure Hepburn Murphy looked at Bruce recalling Gabby into the squad ahead of him, ran a mental picture of the physical shape Gabby was in last spring and just said to himself 'Jesus Christ what is the f*cking point'.

Not saying the Villa academy has producing the next Kodjia or Chester, because I've barely gotten to see them play. But if there is nothing in there that can match Agbonlahor, McCormack or Elphick's p*ss poor performances, then it's time to tear down the youth system and rebuild it from scratch. But I'm sure a few years people would have said Callum Robinson and Daniel Johnson for example wouldn't have been upto it, but I think we'd all like to have them now. You mention Green, Hepburn-Murphy and Davis but what is their cumulative amount of Championship minutes those guys have played? Would it even be 90?

Fair points there for sure, even if we disagree a bit on McCormack, I still think he can has a lot to offer and in flashes in matches you can see that. Funnily enough I was going to mention Robinson and Johnson in my previous post, in that both were reasonably rated, Johnson especially, and were both sold for pittance. Selling Johnson was flagged up at the time by supporters and by some around the club, and when it came out he was sold for only £50,000 it was ridiculous. No point being hungry to succeed under Lambert when you let go of decent young players for pittance and instead play dross like Sylla. Davis is still quite young and has come through the rank quite fast, some small time league he was playing for until relatively recently I think. Green seems to be well thought of but has been a bit stop start with him, Hepburn Murphy has had the contract thing hanging over him. I don't think they are any better or worse than a lot of the under performing players but they'll have a part to play I'm sure under Bruce.

• Advertisement

Is Rhodes the only striker for sale it seems we're throwing all our chips on him is there not anyone else available out there?

Looks like it could be a busy few days. Lansbury done it seems and all reports pointing to Hourihane not far behind him. Some talk in an interest in Ulloa, who has handed in a transfer request. Anton Donkor from Wolfsburg being linked as well.

Looks like it could be a busy few days. Lansbury done it seems and all reports pointing to Hourihane not far behind him. Some talk in an interest in Ulloa, who has handed in a transfer request. Anton Donkor from Wolfsburg being linked as well.
    All I can say is, nobody can say Xia has not fully backed his managers. People may criticise his media presence (particularly social media), but if this guy doesn't get bored then he will be great for Villa for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What shape was McCormack in when he signed? Paying 12m for a 30 year old in that shape is really shocking, especially one that has never really played a high level of football

What shape was McCormack in when he signed? Paying 12m for a 30 year old in that shape is really shocking, especially one that has never really played a high level of football

McCormack ticked all the boxes. It's silly to argue otherwise. He scored plenty of goals in the league we were just dropping to and he didn't just do it for 1 season or 1 club.

LeBash wrote: »

McCormack ticked all the boxes. It's silly to argue otherwise. He scored plenty of goals in the league we were just dropping to and he didn't just do it for 1 season or 1 club.
    Even looking back to the Sheffield Wednesday away game when he made his debut, he didn't look half as bad as he does now. I don't think Di Matteo could have guessed he would turn into the waster he is now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Lansbury signs.

LansburyMainSigning1.ashx?h=720&la=en&mw=1280&w=1280&vs=1&d=20170120T114445Z&hash=D6E7366B9B1135CBCCF3CB57D3E404E3E6D8B32E

Lansbury signs.

LansburyMainSigning1.ashx?h=720&la=en&mw=1280&w=1280&vs=1&d=20170120T114445Z&hash=D6E7366B9B1135CBCCF3CB57D3E404E3E6D8B32E

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Widely reported that Conor Hourihane will have a medical today - best player in the Championship at the moment and he's from Cork!

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    Widely reported that Conor Hourihane will have a medical today - best player in the Championship at the moment and he's from Cork!

Will the 2 fit into midfield together? I assume both are pretty attacking players and we were signing 1 or the other

• Advertisement

Hourihane has started following Xia on Twitter, but then again who's mad enough NOT to be following the Doctor on Twitter :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

Hourihane has started following Xia on Twitter, but then again who's mad enough NOT to be following the Doctor on Twitter :D

And Tony follows him!

Runours of McCormack back to Fulham, spotted at the Fulham training ground but apparently his kid plays down there so could be nothing at all. There was even talk it would be a loan which would be madness imo, with the midfield finally being sorted out he'd still have a part to play with better service at last imo, but if Bruce didn't fancy him then at least get some cash in to replace him.

Linked with Ashley Barnes of Burnley as well.

Would be delighted to be rid of him. Less of his type around and the club becomes a better place for everyone. Think we should be pushing to get a few million for him permanently though.

It's the likes of Westwood, Gabby and Hutton that I'd be shoving out the door before anyone else. Actually poor players who offer absolutely nothing. Elphick hasn't played well but I'd have nothing against him to be honest. Players like Hutton, Gabby and Westwood have skated by for years because they run around a bit despite being absolutely dire, far, far more than any of the new signings to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

Keep McCormack, he's a quality player at this level and deserves a chance with some creativity behind him to prove that. No way would I be selling him not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

Yes I don't think McCormack is the worst of our problems I'd be inclined to stick with him and hopefully our new midfield with hourihan will bring the best out of him.

Honestly don't get what you guys have seen in McCormack, his output has been woeful and he's barely tried a leg. Clearly a talented guy but you won't get by on that alone and he hasn't gotten by as a result.

Hutton and Westwood should only ever be squad players as they're not good enough to be starters but I think so many of our players could take a leaf out of Hutton's book. Imagine some of our more talented players tried as hard as Hutton does. We'd have no problems to speak of.

I'd be keeping a guy like that around because I don't think the dressing room is filled with many characters with a work ethic that we'd want the young players to be learning from.

Hutton is only a squad player.

• Advertisement

LeBash wrote: »
    Hutton is only a squad player.
    Absolutely. 5 changes to today's lineup. Lansbury starts. McCormack not in the squad, must be off. Gabby starts, Green starts, Elphick does not. No Jedinak either. We bring in a new midfielder and still manage to be playing Westwood as part of a 2 man midfield. There are some good changes there and some bad ones.

Johnstone
    Hutton
    Chester
    Baker
    Amavi
    Green
    Lansbury
    Westwood
    Adomah
    Grealish
    Agbonlahor

Westwood and Gabby have more lives than a cat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

Right so...

Johnstone Hutton Chester Baker Amavi Green Westwood Lansbury Adamoh Gabby Grealish

Where to start. Good defense, new midfield but still Gabby up front.

Jedinak and McCormack both completely missing, is that Micah Richards back on the bench (forgot we still had him). No options even on bench up front except for Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Patser wrote: »
    Right so...

Johnstone Hutton Chester Baker Amavi Green Westwood Lansbury Adamoh Gabby Grealish

Where to start. Good defense, new midfield but still Gabby up front.

Jedinak and McCormack both completely missing, is that Micah Richards back on the bench (forgot we still had him). No options even on bench up front except for Davis

In this day and age what is the point of playing Gabriel Agbonlahor up front on his own in a game of football? What is he going to do?

Where's McCormack? In the Chinese?

rebelomar wrote: »
    Westwood and Gabby have more lives than a cat
    This is it really. Not sure how Westwood manages to keep creeping his way back into the team and Gabby manages to stay in it.

This is it really. Not sure how Westwood manages to keep creeping his way back into the team and Gabby manages to stay in it.

Who's the option for Gabby? McCormack reportedly injured, possibly on way out. Kodjia and Ayew away, Hepburn-Murphy throwing a wobbler that annoyed Bruce, 18 year old Davis?

As for Westwood, Jedinak is out, Gardner Bacuna and Tshibola all on bench but similar level..

• Advertisement

Patser wrote: »
    Who's the option for Gabby? McCormack reportedly injured, possibly on way out. Kodjia and Ayew away, Hepburn-Murphy throwing a wobbler that annoyed Bruce, 18 year old Davis?

As for Westwood, Jedinak is out, Gardner Bacuna and Tshibola all on bench but similar level..
    Hepburn-Murphy. He isn't throwing any wobbler, he just hasn't agreed to sign a contract. And given what is playing ahead of him, why would he? Give him a legitimate chance to prove himself while those ahead of him are making absolutely no case to be in the team, and perhaps he may start to see a future for himself at Villa under Bruce.

I'd have all the players you called at a similar level as Westwood ahead of him. Genuinely can't remember Westwood last having an above 6/10 performance for Villa. I feel bad for him because he hasn't got a terrible attitude like some of the other players who have let Villa down over the years, but he isn't good enough either.

Gabby has scored. I repeat. Gabby has scored.

Edit - Or not, goalscorer has been amended to Adomah

Birmingham Mail saying Adamoh....

Edit : from BM

Was it a foul?

Grealish loops a ball over the Preston backline for Agbonlahor to run onto. He takes a heavy touch, then slides in on the goalkeeper, Maxwell, and the ball trickles past the stopper as the two collide. Adomah simply taps it in from a yard out and the keeper is now down receiving treatment.

Penalty Villa

2-0 Adamoh again (also fouled for peno)

Adomah the legend 2 nil penalty.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement