Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Not exactly like for like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The key thing with Ayew is that if you're letting him go is it needs to be for a decent sum of cash. He is definitely worth keeping around if a transfer doesn't work out, but you'd probably get good money for him, and if you offered me Jordan Ayew or 15 million to replace him, I'd happily take the cash.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

"Dr." Tony has started following Alexis Sanchez and Wayne Rooney on twitter.

It's happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I like Barrow as a player, pretty quick and exciting. Not sure I'd be doing a straight swap though, would prefer cash for Ayew although saying that I think he'd offer more than Ayew and I guess that's what you want from a swap.

The Doctor speaks:

https://twitter.com/Dr_TonyXia/status/823529212875149312

Hourihane and Bree possibly?

• Advertisement

Hourihane and Bree may be announced tomorrow apparently. Linked to Chuba Akpom today as well, I remember him being a strong, pacy striker on loan at Hull from Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Bree pictured at the training ground. Hourihane next hopefully..

Bree, Hourihane, Birkir Bjarnason all to complete moves by tomorrow. Getting business done before window closes, is this real Villa? Also almost a whole new midfield by tomorrow as well.

Bjarnason is an icelandic left winger, plays for Basel. Also 1 other transfer in the offing as well according to the Dr.

https://twitter.com/Dr_TonyXia/status/823934212549902336

Looking a lot like Kodjia will be back after tonight, better than any transfer in!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Corholio wrote: »
    Bree, Hourihane, Birkir Bjarnason all to complete moves by tomorrow. Getting business done before window closes, is this real Villa? Also almost a whole new midfield by tomorrow as well.

Bjarnason is an icelandic left winger, plays for Basel. Also 1 other transfer in the offing as well according to the Dr.

https://twitter.com/Dr_TonyXia/status/823934212549902336

erm can anyone make that tweet out ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

listermint wrote: »
    erm can anyone make that tweet out ???

Bree and Bjarneson over the line. Hourihane almost there and unknown at 50/50.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

I hear Fulham players have advised their manager not to sign Ross McCormack because of his disruptive influence. Any chance Celtic or Rangers might take him on loan? might do him good to head back to Scotland for a while put his head down and prove his worth.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I knew we needed CMs but I never expected 3 to be signed and amongst them are 2 teams captains and a man nicknamed Thor! We also signed a new RB and found out Kodija should be back soon... transfer wise it's been a good week.

wondr who the 50/50 one is? only seen strong links to Rhodes but then again did anyone see links for the Icelandic lad before he was essentially signed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I hear Fulham players have advised their manager not to sign Ross McCormack because of his disruptive influence. Any chance Celtic or Rangers might take him on loan? might do him good to head back to Scotland for a while put his head down and prove his worth.

No chance of him getting in the Celtic team, he'd be 3rd choice striker at best and they only play one

If those Fulham rumours are true, then you can pretty much wipe out the 'poor him with the divorce' thing.

If you're old teammates where you scored like 20 goals a season don't want you back, you're a bad apple.

James Bree is fantastic in Football Manager 2016 by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

James Bree is fantastic in Football Manager 2016 by the way.

What about in FM 17?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

81 Potential on fifa 17 as well , not that that matters ... hes a fantastic player id expect him to bump Hutton nearly straight away and move into the starting 11

Rumours that Palace are trying to hijack Hourihane deal. Hopefully that is not true. Something seems to be delaying it anyway.

CSF wrote: »
    Rumours that Palace are trying to hijack Hourihane deal. Hopefully that is not true. Something seems to be delaying it anyway.

Palace just had a bid accepted for Brady and it was only from sky sports whispers which is based on twitter traffic ,tbh i cant find a single source media wise reporting their interest but the Bermingham mail are doing a live blog and are expecting Hourihane's announcement at villa imminently

• Advertisement

Bree and Bjarnason both confirmed. The Barnsley side of the transfer are saying it's around £3m but apparently it's only about half that. Bjarnason's fee is around £1.7m. Hourihane expected to be confirmed very shortly.

C3AxKp6WgAAycM7.jpg:small

C3BKTrfXUAMefGB.jpg:small

Westwood will still start.

Patser wrote: »
    Westwood will still start.

Not a hope id be surprised if he stays , Bruce's signings tell you all you need to know about how he rates the Midfielders currently at the club

Yep, you're right. My Westwood post was just messing. Can't add smilies on the touch site.

Patser wrote: »
    Yep, you're right. My Westwood post was just messing. Can't add smilies on the touch site.

Havn't been this excited about new signings in a whil Bruce has pulled off a master stroke here if we land hourihane aswell a mid field of Jedinak , Lansbury , Hourihane , Adoma nd Bjarnsson would be the best in the championship by a county mile add Ayew , Grealish , Green and Tishbola as subs that's looking pretty healthy

Ubelievable he could get those three for what RDM paid for Tishbola in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

CSF wrote: »

I think the delay is that Barnsley Chief Executive left during Jan. - also they had accepted 1.25m but wanted 3m then after the Lansbury deal closed given both players were in a similar situation.

I think this will be the end for Gary Gardner - he needs to move on, 10 years of being touted as the next big thing would drain anyone.

Gardner would be a grand squad player IMO. Neither him nor Tshibola fill me with great confidence but they're an improvement on Westwood.

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    I think the delay is that Barnsley Chief Executive left during Jan. - also they had accepted 1.25m but wanted 3m then after the Lansbury deal closed given both players were in a similar situation.

I think this will be the end for Gary Gardner - he needs to move on, 10 years of being touted as the next big thing would drain anyone.

Gardner signed a new 4 year deal a couple of weeks ago, but yes I think him and Westwood should certainly see their starting days numbered now. Lansbury and Hourihane are pretty feisty characters and that's what the team has been missing for so long, along with their actual quality of course.

It's amazing to think that selling Gestede has allowed Villa to buy Lansbury, Hourihane, Bree and Bjarnason combined for pretty much the same amount.

Our Lord and saviour Dr Xia has just tweeted to say that 98% has become 100%.

Assume that's in relation to Hourihane today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

So what's the expected lineup after the new signings?

Maybe somthing like:

Johnstone
    Bree Chester Baker Amavi
    Jedanick
    Hourihane Lansbury
    Adomah
    Bjarnason
    Kodjia

With Ayew, Grealish, Gabby fighting for places in the front three?

I'd still like to see another defender brought in who can cover when Baker inevitably gets a head injury.

I think the wing positions in particular will see the most rotation. I'd like to see Adomah play the majority of games though, he is a real threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I played with Conor at Douglas Hall for 2years before he moved to England. Been following his progress each year, and hope this will be a good move for him.
    It was clear at 15 that he was miles above everyone else so I hope he gets on well at Villa.

Hourihane confirmed. This week may be the making of Bruce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Looks good business on paper but I also thought that at the start of the season.

The good thing about it all is it does like we're going to have a go at the play offs and aside from the Dr it looks like others, Round, Wyness etc have done their homework.

19 matches left . . . I'ts on.

• Advertisement

Signings can go either way in terms of success of course, but the last week or so has seen some fantastic business whatever way you look at it. The big thing for me has been the outlay for the talent involved, especially in the week that a £12m striker saw his Villa career practically end and the 4 signings not cost even half that.

Can't argue that Xia hasn't put the money up, or trust in the managers choices. Not his fault that the likes of McCormack, Elphick or Tshibola haven't been great.

Bit of bite in midfield too, been a few years since there's been that. I've felt in the big games against good teams, like the Leeds one for example, that's something that's been missing.

Might still be bit of movement in and out before the window closes according to the Dr.

https://twitter.com/Dr_TonyXia/status/824629984694194176

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

No doubt we did smarter business this window than the last one. RDM just threw money around.

I was glad to see after a 6 million bid for Rhodes was turned down, we walked away. In the summer we'd have been happy to plow 12 million into someone else's pockets.

Even if Ross was banging in goals he wouldn't be worth 12 million. He is championship level at best. 12 million should be picking up a player who is premier league banker starter and a top player at any club bar the top 4.

Any ideas lads? :pac:

https://twitter.com/Dr_TonyXia/status/824646288478068736

Maybe 3 potential targets but will only sign 1 of them, plus 2 potential outgoings and 1 other incoming?

itMcsy5.gif

• Advertisement

Maybe 3 potential targets but will only sign 1 of them, plus 2 potential outgoings and 1 other incoming?

itMcsy5.gif

Mathematically sums to 0 I'm afraid :(

Is there anybody leaving? Hutton Richards Bacuna McCormack Kozak Gabby?

itMcsy5.gif

He's gas all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

LeBash wrote: »
    No doubt we did smarter business this window than the last one. RDM just threw money around.

I was glad to see after a 6 million bid for Rhodes was turned down, we walked away. In the summer we'd have been happy to plow 12 million into someone else's pockets.

Even if Ross was banging in goals he wouldn't be worth 12 million. He is championship level at best. 12 million should be picking up a player who is premier league banker starter and a top player at any club bar the top 4.

If he was banging in the goals, he'd be well worth.
    12 million is not what it used to be. 12 million is a squad player in the PL for 75% of teams.

Max Gradel being linked on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

JPA wrote: »
    If he was banging in the goals, he'd be well worth.
    12 million is not what it used to be. 12 million is a squad player in the PL for 75% of teams.

That's is so incorrect I can't even start to list the players who are banker starters that moved to clubs for 12 million or less in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

He'd be worth 12million if he wasn't made of Kentucky Fried Chicken

McCormack will eventually usurp Balaban for worst signing. 12 f*ckin million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

LeBash wrote: »
    That's is so incorrect I can't even start to list the players who are banker starters that moved to clubs for 12 million or less in the Premier League.

:s Well of course there are loads of examples but what I'm saying is transfer fees have gone way up the last 18 months.
    Spending 12 million guarantees nothing anymore, if it ever did.
    Transfers are a gamble a lot of the time and becoming more expensive. Mccormack was probably seen as a proven and safe signing and if he scored 15 + goals to help gain promotion, financially it would have made sense.

I'd have had Snodgrass for £10m ahead of either McCormack or Rhodes and I suspect Bruce would too, given a choice.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement