Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Rumours of a move for Tshibola too. Personally I'd prefer to loan him out somewhere in the bottom half of the Championship, in the hope that he can find form there and either come back to play a role in the team or alternatively be soldier more money than you'd get from him now.

I appreciate that we may have to sell players to balance the books, particularly for FFP, but I'd be looking at getting rid of guys like Westwood, Ayew, McCormack, Micah Richards and Gabby myself (all almost certainly bigger earners too),

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

I think Bruce has made some astute signings in this window. We have signed guys in midfield who 1: have a history of getting on the ball and trying to influence games . 2: guys who can run, run and run some more and 3: players who have great goalscoring records from modfield. It can't be over stated how important that is.

Bruce was asked a question in the supporters group consultation about the lack of forward runs made by our midfield and apparently gave a very honest and blunt response that the existing midfield players just couldn't do that...full stop.

In terms of possible player sales I'd give Tsihbola a fair crack at the whip if he has the right attitude only. If Bruce feels his attitude isn't right then adios Ted! I'd much rather move on Westwood. Somebody will still value him in this division and he may need a fresh start to try and gain some confidence back because it's shattered by the looks of it. Gardner also looks absolutely broken mentally...don't think he will ever prove to be the player we hoped. OK he had a few good games for forest but it's a different level of expectation and scrutiny at Villa currently.

As for Grealish he will either sink or swim now imo...he will have more assistance in there now in terms of players having the ability to feed him in areas where he can hurt teams. His attitude needs to improve but I can get his frustration tbh as the passes he was looking for just were not coming. I'll give him grace for the moment but it's a huge second half of the season for him. I certainly wouldn't sell him...worth persisting for a while imo because the potential upside with him is massive.

Jedinak...I don't rate him as a footballer but as a holding player he does a good job and is very committed...again the new guys will hopefully make Jedinak's role easier in so far as just win the ball and play it very simple. My biggest gripe with him was he can go missing when we are in possession and when you see so many passes from him going astray you can see why. Hopefully he can just play to his strengths now he has better players alongside him.

What I'm worried about is the balance of the side.. no doubt Forrest and Barnsley were set up in a way to allow both Lansbury and Hourihane to flourish individually. Tactically can we find a solution or balance to allow both lads play their natural games? I would expect a a decrease in their respective goals and assist stats as the burden will hopefully be shared throughout the side but if we get it right and they replicate their general play for us as they did with their previous clubs then we will be doing well. To keep up their respective goals/assist stats in the same side is probably an impossibility imo if they get to 50% each then we are good.

It will be interesting to see how we set up now.. there are a lot of options. I wouldn't be surprised to or disappointed to see McCormack go...he's two stone overweight and to get him into the required shape would take a couple of months maybe. Get a good fee if possible and wave bye bye.

Ayew could also struggle for game time depending on the system. If we sell him so be it but I don't want to see Barrow come in.. I don't rate him...he's not got a footballing brain. If he did he wouldn't be out of favour at Swansea given his physical gifts and skill. I don't want Rhodes either... if we spend that kinda money I want an upside to a player...Rhodes ceiling has been shown at Boro.

Looking at how well Izzy Brown has done at Huddersfield I would like to see Solancke or a similar loan signing. Both were quality in English underage side's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Good interview with Grealish and it seems like he knows he's not doing enough and has to improve.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-jack-grealish-improve-12522752?service=responsive

Also, reports of a swap deal with Swansea. Ayew for Neil Taylor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

Ayew scored in the afcon earlier today, he will be in the semis and also a 3rd/4th place play off at a minimum, surely it will be difficult so sign for Swansea now? FWIW I would really like to keep him.

Tshibola gone to Forest on loan...no option to buy apparently.

rebelomar wrote: »
    Tshibola gone to Forest on loan...no option to buy apparently.
    That is best case scenario IMO. He does well there and the options are open, he doesn't hit it off then you're still probably only in the same situation with him as we are now.

Jedinak looking like he'll be out tomorrow night. 2 big midfield signings and Westwood will still likely worm his way into the lineup :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

CSF wrote: »
    Jedinak looking like he'll be out tomorrow night. 2 big midfield signings and Westwood will still likely worm his way into the lineup :/

Lansbury and Hourihane in the middle Bjarnsson on the left Adomah on the right Gabby and Kodija upfront or Lnsbury holding , Bjarnsson and Hourihane playing ahead of him , Grealish on the left Adomah on the right Kodija as the lone man up top

Wouldnt let west wood near that midfield he'd only slow it down at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

New mystery signing alluded to by Bruce in his press conference. He seemed very pleased with the prospect and was happy that we've managed to keep it quiet.

Panrich wrote: »
    New mystery signing alluded to by Bruce in his press conference. He seemed very pleased with the prospect and was happy that we've managed to keep it quiet.

they managed that with Bjarnsson right up untill it was nearly done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Neil Taylor + cash swap for Ayew almost done. Happy with that, Ayew hasn't done near enough to be considered a loss. Ayew wanted to play up front apparently, cue Clement in his press conference today saying Ayew is useful because he can play up front or out wide :P.

Interesting to see who the mystery player is though, seems it's most likely a striker.

Well considering what Bruce said about McCormack today and losing Ayew(which I believe is a mistake) I would be amazed if Bruce goes with Kodjia and Gabby till the end of the season.

I hope we get Rhodes and maybe another striker on loan.

Sono wrote: »
    Well considering what Bruce said about McCormack today and losing Ayew(which I believe is a mistake) I would be amazed if Bruce goes with Kodjia and Gabby till the end of the season.

Definitely another striker in , Taylor plus cash is a good deal for a player that has beyond flatter to deceive at this stage very average , 8 goals last season even wiemann managed 12 in at one stage and not really cut it in the championship

Sono wrote: »

The 'mystery' man is a striker according to the villatransfer tweet account that has a 100% record in this window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Neil Taylor is a LB, what does this mean for Amavi? We have Bjarnsson now as a left winger...

Rumours (and for now of course, that's all they are) that Scott Hogan of Brentford may be this mystery man, at an 8 figure sum that doesn't seem to tie into the notion that Villa would have to reign in the spending to meet outgoing transfers for FFP purposes.

Burnley being linked with Westwood again.

Hogan would be a strange one, considering West Ham, who have money from the Payet deal now, have been strongly linked to him the past few weeks. Bruce's quotes today would seem to say it's someone who Villa haven't been linked with at all cos he said he was glad they could could keep it quiet, Villa have been linked here and there with Hogan over the past few weeks.

Who knows, will be an interesting few days up to transfer deadline day, which isn't something Villa fans have been able to say too often in the past.

My guesses are: Bedeau, Taylor, Afobe in. Ayew, Westwood, McCormack out.

Never seen Hogan play, he any good?

People saying the mystery man could be benteke haha

Some reports just coming in there that apparently Villa have had a bid accepted for Hogan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Corholio wrote: »
    Some reports just coming in there that apparently Villa have had a bid accepted for Hogan.

Maybe, just maybe they would they look at our bid more favourably if we offer Ross McCormack in exchange....

He's probably as good if not better than what we have.

Westwood to Burnley for £5m being reported.

Never had anything against Westwood, but that's a very good piece of business for a player who has constantly under performed in the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Why we signing a left back? 5 million plus Taylor is not a good deal for me.
    He'll hardly come in as backup. Is Amavi getting sold or does Bruce not trust him?

That deal puts Taylor valued at 5-7 million which makes no sense.

I think Taylor will be close competition for Amavi, closer than Cissokho definitely. Ayew just didn't fit in at all and hasn't showed much this season. I think it'll be a straight fight between the two and competition there is good. No point in having just one left back who is prone to losing concentration at times, the extra money looks to be going towards Hogan as well.

I'm not opposed to Ayew leaving at all but it seems a strange deal on the face of it tbh. It's not that I don't think Taylor is a decent player, because he is but why sign somebody so expensive as competition for left back? I really hope AmavI isn't being sold.

Westwood to Burnley on loans for £5m on a permanent deal if the move can progress quick enough. Great deal for us I think...

Hogan is an interesting one...haven't seen a whole lot of the guy I must admit. Looks a decent finisher and has a bit of pace judging by his highlights...again very expensive though for a Championship striker.

If Ayew, Westwood and McCormack are moved on then I'll be happy enough.. they might do well elsewhere but I feel they aren't working out at Villa no matter what. We'll get decent fees for all three hopefully though.

Glad to see Green isn't going on loan. I actually think he's got a chance to be a really good player. He offers something different already.

Bruce can't turn around and say he hasn't been backed anyway...it's very much his team now. Hopefully we can improve substantially.

JPA wrote: »
    He'll hardly come in as backup. Is Amavi getting sold or does Bruce not trust him?

Amavi has mixed the ridiculous with the sublime since coming back from injury. He had two absolute horror shows against Leeds for instance so maybe Bruce is not convinced.

Overall, talk of as many as three or four more ins tomorrow. We're in danger of tipping a great window into one that costs us any remaining chance of playoffs though. We can't afford to wait six or eight weeks for a new team to gel. Still it needed to be done and we will be stronger for next season.

• Advertisement

Bruce talking about how there might still be a chance for McCormack if he apologises. I honestly don't get it. Where is the line? How unprofessional do you have to be before you reach the point of no return. Why would anyone feel compelled to behave in a professional manner when you're just gonna get another chance anyway?

CSF wrote: »
    Bruce talking about how there might still be a chance for McCormack if he apologises. I honestly don't get it. Where is the line? How unprofessional do you have to be before you reach the point of no return. Why would anyone feel compelled to behave in a professional manner when you're just gonna get another chance anyway?

I guess it's just the fact that he may still be here when the window closes. Very rarely does a manager say a player will never play again etc. A lot of it is just manager talk anyway I would guess, he's had takers for the players he doesn't want like Tish and Westwood but maybe not yet with McCormack.

JPA wrote: »

We have no cover at LB with Bennnet and Cisshoko both gone , amavi's form has been patchy , admittedly so has Taylors this season but he will be a usefull addition , to be honest we over paid when we paid £8m for Ayew at the time, Lorient fans where lauging with that kind of money for him and since then hes not done much 8 goals last season and looked very very average this season in the championship , i think its a good deal to be honest.

The Doc has Tweeted looks like 3 in 33 out , Hogan, Taylor and Bedeau in ... great window altogether, the communication from Xia and the club has been fntastic

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

if we can get rid of McCormack and & Agbonglahor we can start afresh without any bad eggs and remnants from the past regardless if he has turned over a new leaf or not, Best of luck to Westwood didn't deserve the abuse he got from his own fans he can't be that bad if a premier league club and a respected manager in Sean Dyche signed him up.

• Advertisement

Having 2 players for each position is a must. Let Amavi and Taylor fight it out and see who deserves the place.

matrim wrote: »
    Having 2 players for each position is a must. Let Amavi and Taylor fight it out and see who deserves the place.
    My guess is Bruce will favour Taylor with Amavi seeing more football further up the pitch.

matrim wrote: »

i think the competition can ony be a good thing Cisshoko was no competition for Amavi i said in the summer i'd of rather kept Bennett to fight it out , but Taylor is a major improvement , i would like to see Amavi given a run at LM maybe think hes more suited to an attacking role his pace and deliver are very good but he lacks the physicality and maybe the positional awareness for a LB

Hogan deal looks close, 10m with add ons is rumoured. Young defender Bedeau from Bury signed up as well.

Could be more to come as well, according to that guy on Twitter who has been spot on with everything so far.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

McCormack linked with Forest.

McCormack linked with Forest.

Be happy enough if he went there wrong end of the table to trouble us if he turns it on though i doubt he will at this stage , Bruce apprently offered him a way back over the weekend all he had to do was apologise to the fans and his team mates but he's refused , fcuking shocking carry on from a professional player you wouldn't tolerate that sh!t at sunday league level.

will probibly go down as the biggest waste of money in the clubs history

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Jacob Bedeau officially signed. Probably one for the future at 17.

And as his wiki currently says: "Yak is a Ganstaboy with swag."

Hogan (9 million rising to 15) and Bedeau (c600, 000) confirmed as signed.

Talk of the possibility of Hogan and Rhodes (on loan) , if McCormack leaves would be some improvement up top

Hogan scores goals wherever he goes, hopefully we can set them up for him to knock them down.

Busy window.

• Advertisement

Hogan scores goals wherever he goes, hopefully we can set them up for him to knock them down.

Busy window.

Hourihane top assists in the league , Hogan Top goal scorer ... have to hope that's a lethal match up

Hourihane top assists in the league , Hogan Top goal scorer ... have to hope that's a lethal match up

Signing for Villa turns good players to crap. hope they can escape that :pac:

Westwood confirmed gone to Burnley for £5m.

https://twitter.com/Dr_TonyXia/status/826472588356448256

He wasn't the worst in the world. Made a bit of a scapegoat. Four managers can't be wrong, thought he always gave his best and was let down be players around him. Worked well with someone like Delph being more dynamic beside him.

He wasn't the worst in the world. Made a bit of a scapegoat. Four managers can't be wrong, thought he always gave his best and was let down be players around him. Worked well with someone like Delph being more dynamic beside him.

For me his biggest problem was that he never took the game by the scruff of the neck and made things happen. As you said, he needed someone like Delph to do that and preferably to work in a 3 man midfield. When you're playing a 2 man midfield you need someone better.

Similar to Clark it was time for him to move on and I hope he does well (except when playing against us)

They can though. Four managers in the worst period of Villa's recent history. I've nothing against him at all but the defence that I've heard about all the managers playing him doesn't cut it for me, especially since they've been criticised in almost every other aspect of managing. He's been a gaping weakness for some time now, he always tried his best and gave it all but a lot of the time he wasn't good enough no matter who was around him. The fact his name became a cliche and indeed a scapegoat was due to all the time he's been starting games.

Corholio wrote: »
    Signing for Villa turns good players to crap. hope they can escape that :pac:

It's ok, Scott Hogan has already got the new signing, tear cruciate tradition out of his system.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/scott-hogan/verletzungen/spieler/138783

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Patser wrote: »
    Hogan (9 million rising to 15) and Bedeau (c600, 000) confirmed as signed.

9 million rising to 12 according to Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Grand window so far and Hogan hopefully confirmed soon..Any idea on total money in and out? Financial Fair Play rules may catch us..mcCormack/Kodjia and now Hogan large signings... Hourihane was 3m i think..Westwood out for 5m.

[URL="[img]http://i.imgur.com/lgLx8nP.png[/img]"]lgLx8nP.png[/URL]

• Advertisement

Grand window so far and Hogan hopefully confirmed soon..Any idea on total money in and out? Financial Fair Play rules may catch us..mcCormack/Kodjia and now Hogan large signings... Hourihane was 3m i think..Westwood out for 5m.

Westwood is reported to be £5m + £6m (Gestede) + £5m (Ayew). Would make it a mostly neutral window with reported fees of .6m (Bedeau) + 1.7m (Bjarnason) + 3m (Lansbury) + 1.5m (Hourihane) + 10m (Hogan) + Taylor

Out 16m. In 16.8m

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement