Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Patser wrote: »
    And some interesting sayings in that report, if true - Sherwood convinced him to join, on a lesser wage than go to Sunderland.

Do you really think Sunderland offered £90,000 a week for Richards, a defender, given the amount of work that is needed in our squad this summer (or would even be able to offer that type of money to any player)? Absolutely laughable from The Mirror to be honest but they are Newcastle's official media partner now so I'd expect more of this rubbish over the summer.

It'd make sense for Richards to choose Villa in any case. He's originally from Birmingham with a lot of family still in the area, is a Villa fan (if I remember correctly) and is less likely to be stuck in a relegation battle with Villa than he would be with Sunderland.

£65,000 a week for a defender who has averaged 9.5 games over the last 4 season appears to be complete and utter insanity however, but as he's on a free it's virtually the same as spending a £3.5m-£4m transfer fee and paying £40,000 a week. Still a decent outlay considering his fitness problems however. Definitely a gamble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I know he's not exactly going to struggle on 65k a week but turning down an extra 25k a week to choose us over Sunderland shows a desire to play for us/Sherwood which is nice to see and he's of a higher standard than I thought we could attract these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Confirmed

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-agree-micah-richards-5866880

And some interesting sayings in that report, if true - Sherwood convinced him to join, on a lesser wage than go to Sunderland. Still £65,000 a week puts him near top earner, yes? And what does this all mean for Lowton (gone hopefully), Hutton and Bacuna (really want him to stay).

I wouldn't call a mirror article confirmation but it's covered in a few papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

An improvement on what we have Staying injury free is the biggest problem for our defenders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

I hope that figure is false. If it was a LB which we need it would be crazy money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

LeBash wrote: »
    I hope that figure is false. If it was a LB which we need it would be crazy money.
    Free Agents always gets higher wages than normal as there's no transfer fee involved. Overall it's still cheaper than paying £5m for a player of his standard + the ~£30K a week wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Free Agents always gets higher wages than normal as there's no transfer fee involved. Overall it's still cheaper than paying £5m for a player of his standard + the ~£30K a week wages.

Is he a £5m player? I'd say if you were to buy him on current form he's probably worth about 1 - 2m and wage wise probably around 25k .

You could have heavy bonuses if he performs but any club taking him on is taking a big risk

Will anyone here be saying if he's on the sick list for 25 games a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Did the club REALLY need to release a statement on the Grealish photo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd love it if they just released:

Hes 19, boys will be boys.

AdamD wrote: »
    I'd love it if they just released:

Hes 19, boys will be boys.

Pretty much!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

jaysus ... they really go on don't they, let the lad have some fun ffs!!

Talk of Tom Huddleston for 5.5 million. I reckon he's a good player but no idea where he'd fit in our midfield.

Talk of Tom Huddleston for 5.5 million. I reckon he's a good player but no idea where he'd fit in our midfield.

Well one of our midfield is gone. But anyway I don't rate him, being able to run is usually a prerequisite for being a footballer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

JPA wrote: »
    Well one of our midfield is gone. But anyway I don't rate him, being able to run is usually a prerequisite for being a footballer.

Ya, he's certainly not an adequate replacement for Cleverley, or at least the way Cleverley played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Isn't he currently banned for having taken illegal substances?

Doodee wrote: »
    Isn't he currently banned for having taken illegal substances?

Livermore

:eek: and :eek:. I don't rate him at all. He's fat and slow and doesn't have the fitness level required to play in the middle of the park IMO. Hopefully it's just another lazy Tim Sherwood ex-spurs player link.

Bid accepted for Jordan Amavi, LB for Nice.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Bid accepted for Jordan Amavi, LB for Nice.

Talk that he's not very keen on coming though.

Corholio wrote: »
    Talk that he's not very keen on coming though.

I wasn't previously aware of his existence tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Decent start to next season

Bournemouth Utd Palace Sunderland Leicester West Brom. Need to get points onboard early.

Decent start to next season

Bournemouth Utd Palace Sunderland Leicester West Brom. Need to get points onboard early.

Decent start, you'd probably expect to get at least 10 points from that set of games.

Also, unlike last season, we've no big run of Top 4 in consecutive games, everything is broken up nicely.

West Ham on Stephen's Day to help snooze off the turkey, Norwich after them. So hopefully a nice Christmas.

Arsenal away on last day though.

Bournemouth will be up for it.

Micah Richards signs on a 4 year contract. Good signing imo.

Micah Richards signs on a 4 year contract. Good signing imo.

He hardly set the world alight in Italy last year so still not sure on that. He could potentially be good but it is a risk and if the rumoured 65k a week is true then a 4 year deal is very long. Lets say his "normal" non free wage is 40k then the extra money is approximately a 5m transfer fee for a player who hasn't played much in 4 years

matrim wrote: »
    He hardly set the world alight in Italy last year so still not sure on that. He could potentially be good but it is a risk and if the rumoured 65k a week is true then a 4 year deal is very long. Lets say his "normal" non free wage is 40k then the extra money is approximately a 5m transfer fee for a player who hasn't played much in 4 years

Fiorentina changed to a back three not long after he got there, he's on record as saying he wouldn't have went there had he known that. Anyway not being brilliant at Fiorentina is hardly a huge mark on him really to be honest when he's joining Villa. The wages thing is another thing alright, hopefully the club have learnt past lessons in whatever deal they have done with him. He's definitely plenty good for Villa and hopefully more consistent than Hutton last season.

Fiorentina changed to a back three not long after he got there, he's on record as saying he wouldn't have went there had he known that. Anyway not being brilliant at Fiorentina is hardly a huge mark on him really to be honest when he's joining Villa. The wages thing is another thing alright, hopefully the club have learnt past lessons in whatever deal they have done with him. He's definitely plenty good for Villa and hopefully more consistent than Hutton last season.

And yet he's being earmarked to play in a back 3 for Villa.

• Advertisement

And yet he's being earmarked to play in a back 3 for Villa.

Interesting, hadn't read that. Although re-reading his quotes, it seems he said he wouldn't have come had he known they were going to change it so soon after he came and him not playing for a while, I'm not sure he disliked the actual formation.

"But when I talked to Fiorentina they told me I'd play every game, and then after I arrive they change the formation to 3-5-2. I had to wait four or five months to be given a chance in the 3-5-2 formation, and if I'd known that was going to happen I probably wouldn't have come"

Every signing is a risk to one degree or another and he has proven that he can cut it so hopefully TS can get the best out of him and he is still only 26.

Patser wrote:

matrim wrote:
    Decent start, you'd probably expect to get at least 10 points from that set of games.

Love the confidence. I see 6 points in those fixtures. And only 1 win. Of course I hope I'm eating my words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Micah Richard is a good signing - it's high profile as well which could help us attract other players that might be on the fence.

I like to rumours of the 2x from Nice and I think Robbie Brady is perfect replcement for N'Zogbia in the squad.

Not sure why we are looking for a new GK - is Guzan all that bad?

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    Not sure why we are looking for a new GK - is Guzan all that bad?
    Tactics Tim doesn't like him. He think's he isn't calm enough and that's why Given was in the team at the end of the season.

Carlos Sanchez MOTM as Colombia beat Brazil.

Carlos Sanchez MOTM as Colombia beat Brazil.

Good to hear as he was a bit flaky in places for us last season he did seem to give the ball away rather a lot. I did read his player statistics were good depending on how much importance you place on them.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-carlos-sanchez-better-9152672

I hope he has now settled into the pace of the PL and we get the benefit this season as he certainly has the potential and does give 100%.

pavb2 wrote: »
    Good to hear as he was a bit flaky in places for us last season he did seem to give the ball away rather a lot. I did read his player statistics were good depending on how much importance you place on them.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-carlos-sanchez-better-9152672

I hope he has now settled into the pace of the PL and we get the benefit this season as he certainly has the potential and does give 100%.

He's good at certain jobs and does actually have a decent range of passing but was capable of the a blunder / lapse of concentration where he would completely misplace a 5 yard pass. The problem is that playing as the last midfielder that kind of pass can really hurt you, so he needs to cut them out.

I'd be happy to give him the benefit of the doubt that having a full pre-season should see him improve next season

Sanchez was actually superb last night and won huge amounts of ball all game. Hopefully can carry that over to next season if his position can be defined by Sherwood as well.

• Advertisement

Weimann gone to Derby for £2.75m on a 4 year deal. Good business for the club, he was rapidly going downhill.

Agreed but I hope they left a buy back clause in there, as he's still young and could rediscover that potential he had. Always struck me as a confidence player. He'd get a mini goal streak going and all would be great but hit a barren patch, and suddenly he'd be s headless chicken chasing everything all over the pitch trying to prove his worth. A full run in.a lower division, starts hitting goals and suddenly we're crying out for him back next season.

Agreed but I hope they left a buy back clause in there, as he's still young and could rediscover that potential he had. Always struck me as a confidence player. He'd get a mini goal streak going and all would be great but hit a barren patch, and suddenly he'd be s headless chicken chasing everything all over the pitch trying to prove his worth. A full run in.a lower division, starts hitting goals and suddenly we're crying out for him back next season.

Can't see that myself to be honest, was far too inconsistent and lacked much of a football brain when it mattered. He'll always have a place in someones team because of his work ethic and I'm sure he'll score goals in the Championship but I think he's indicative of the players the club needs to move away from, ones who show something the odd time but nowhere near enough, and tend to live off it for far too long.

Weimann gone to Derby for £2.75m on a 4 year deal. Good business for the club, he was rapidly going downhill.

Good move for him and for an ok transfer fee. I think he should be able to knock goals in in the championship

In a couple of games Sanchez was outstanding but didn't do it nearly enough.

I liked Andy. Sorry to see him go. I'll be throwing a bet on for top scorer in the championship. I always thought he could do it if he got a shot up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Good move for Andi. Always gave it his all and wish him all the best.

There's a goalscorer in there somewhere but think he did needed to drop down a level and play every week to rediscover some form.

Looked really promising the second half of Lamberts first season in charge but since has looked like he lacks a footballing brain at the highest level.

He'll probably score 15-20 goals next season for Derby and best of luck to the lad.

• Advertisement

rebelomar wrote: »
    has looked like he lacks a footballing brain at the highest level.
    He also lacks a first touch. Gives 100% but that will only get you so far when you don't have the basic skills required. I hope he does well but he's a championship player at best.

Sherwood's really clearing the decks now, Lowton set to sign for Burnley.

Fee of about £1m rising with add ons.

Bit of talk too again about Huddlestone possibly being done next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Indeed

Sherwood's really clearing the decks now, Lowton set to sign for Burnley.

Fee of about £1m rising with add ons.

Bit of talk too again about Huddlestone possibly being done next week.

That was inevitable. 3 ahead of him in the pecking order now.

That Huddlestone deal seems a non runner now actually, he's decided to undergo ankle surgery and wont be back until just before the start of the season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement