Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Corholio wrote: »
    That Huddlestone deal seems a non runner now actually, he's decided to undergo ankle surgery and wont be back until just before the start of the season.

Glad about that because I don't think he's what we need

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Sherwood's really clearing the decks now, Lowton set to sign for Burnley.

Fee of about £1m rising with add ons.

Bit of talk too again about Huddlestone possibly being done next week.

Lowton's goal against Stoke was the highlight of his Villa career a shame but like Weimann and a few others they have stagnated or regressed over the last few seasons maybe a case that that have to go backwards to go forwards. Best of luck to them anyway.

for me we now need to move Senderos, Vlaar, Cole, Nzogbia and Richardson on. No disrespect to them but I don't think on balance even when fit they have Strung any number of good performances together.You can possibly pick the odd game where each has played well but one swallow doesn't make a summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

pavb2 wrote: »
    Lowton's goal against Stoke was the highlight of his Villa career a shame but like Weimann and a few others they have stagnated or regressed over the last few seasons maybe a case that that have to go backwards to go forwards. Best of luck to them anyway.

for me we now need to move Senderos, Vlaar, Cole, Nzogbia and Richardson on. No disrespect to them but I don't think on balance even when fit they have Strung any number of good performances together.You can possibly pick the odd game where each has played well but one swallow doesn't make a summer.
    Would keep Richardson as backup. Did ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Vlaar? Ron Vlaar? He has been mostly good and sometimes very good. Grouping him with that crowd is off. My main issue with him is his injuries which would go against him but if he stayed fit he'd be a nailed on starter.

JPA wrote: »
    Vlaar? Ron Vlaar? He has been mostly good and sometimes very good. Grouping him with that crowd is off. My main issue with him is his injuries which would go against him but if he stayed fit he'd be a nailed on starter.

I'm not a fan either. Would be good to keep on a reasonable wage but he'll be wanting more than he's worth. Living off a World Cup reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

pavb2 wrote:

Senderos was very solid in the few games he played. I'd be keeping him.

Zog out now would be better than a new signing. Is his contract not up now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

When he was fit he was fairly inconsistent to be honest. I remember one game against Spurs where he was absolutely atrocious, for an international defender his marking is incredibly suspect. I wouldn't be quite putting him with the certain crowd who should be leaving either but I wouldn't go as far as nailed on starter either. Clark and Okore together has been the best partnership out of all of the various ones that have played there over the past 3-4 years.

Great article from Kendrick. Glad someone close to Villa has finally written something like this.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-gabby-agbonlahor-would-9506463

That's a load of shock jock crap. Don't agree at all with Kendrick.

The lad is being played out of position for years, of course his output will drop. He gives no trouble, very professional, causes all sorts of trouble with his strength against defenders. His pace is not being used correctly by managers and he is very rarely injured.

He's not a 20 goals a season striker but how many in the PL are?

I think he's a good asset to have and although limited in technical ability he brings plenty to the table. I personally think we'd be mad to let him go. Especially with the Benteke will he won't he go situation.

LeBash wrote: »
    That's a load of shock jock crap. Don't agree at all with Kendrick.

The lad is being played out of position for years, of course his output will drop. He gives no trouble, very professional, causes all sorts of trouble with his strength against defenders. His pace is not being used correctly by managers and he is very rarely injured.

He's not a 20 goals a season striker but how many in the PL are?

I think he's a good asset to have and although limited in technical ability he brings plenty to the table. I personally think we'd be mad to let him go. Especially with the Benteke will he won't he go situation.

Shock jock from Kendrick!? Villa players should definitely know they have a problem when he's criticising you, he's gone out of his way in the past to not criticise Villa players and management.

Gabby has played both up front and on the wing plenty of times and has been completely missing in around 75% of those matches he has played over the past 5-6 years. His pace is not used correctly by him, not managers. He doesn't have an ounce of football brain to do so. He's been very lucky in a way because these little bursts of form he has has mainly come at the end of seasons, so when the talk about him starts in pre-season he doesn't get the criticism he should get for the other 80% of the season.

In all my time following Villa, I don't remember any single player who performs so poorly for such long periods to still be at the club. He lives off the 'pace' thing an awful lot, despite anyone rarely seeing it used effectively. Whatever about him actually leaving, he should absolutely not be a starter for next season.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote:
    In all my time following Villa, I don't remember any single player who performs so poorly for such long periods to still be at the club. He lives off the 'pace' thing an awful lot, despite anyone rarely seeing it used effectively. Whatever about him actually leaving, he should absolutely not be a starter for next season.

he's been there a while but we could all name 20 if not more Villa players who had 3 or more years at the club and were nowhere near Gabby Standards from the PL era. There are more than 1 or 2 players at the club now who are nowhere near his performances.

he's been there a while but we could all name 20 if not more Villa players who had 3 or more years at the club and were nowhere near Gabby Standards from the PL era. There are more than 1 or 2 players at the club now who are nowhere near his performances.

I couldn't name many players who performed to such low standards for huge parts of seasons that have been there anywhere near as long. His 'performances' you can count on one hand, and that's been the situation for around the past 5-6 years.

I'm not necessarily saying Gabby should definitely leave, but he's not the player who should be anywhere near starting next season. Sherwood's doing a good job of shifting out the under performers, the likes of Weimann, Lowton, Bent etc, it's hard to argue Gabby wouldn't be considered an under performer. He's been doing it longer than most. Kendrick in his article was merely asking the question whether he should, I don't see how his performances could not lead anyone to not even wonder this question.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/25/ray-wilkins-aston-villa-coach-tim-sherwood

Ray Wilkins to Villa interesting and on balance a sound appointment I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/9894709/ray-wilkins-set-for-coaching-role-at-aston-villa?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Interesting appointment. Seemed to be doing a good job at chelsea before he left. Hasnt been too successful since. He hopefully should give the management team greater experience if nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I think he's a good appointment and his football philosophy is similar to Sherwood's.

He is very well taught of by presenters on sky

Begovic linked today, he'd be a good signing although I like Guzan.

Begovic linked today, he'd be a good signing although I like Guzan.

Begovic would be great!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Yeah I don't dislike Guzan but Begovic would def be a sep up imho and someone who could save you extra points over the season

• Advertisement

Given and Steer both went ahead of Guzan in the pecking order. Given the fact that neither of those is good at all, I'd safely say Guzan's Villa career is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Delighted with the Begovic link - as a member of the goal keepers union I really rate him as being in the top 5 in the league.

He is also a very intelligent guy and love listening to him on bbc radio 5 live.

Guzan on his own cost us about 9 points last year but was good the year before. Begovic would be more instructive for younger players coming in to the team. Shay couldn't manage more than 20 games a season and certainly couldn't managed a full cup and league season. Steer I'm not yet convinced with - he had one good cup game last year and then a poor one so he's nowhere near a starter yet. I'd be happy with Begovic as number one, Guzan and steer as backup and Given moving in to a coaching role.

V1llianous wrote:
    Guzan on his own cost us about 9 points.

In fairness, that statement could be thrown at nearly every keeper.

Fully agree he didn't look as good as the season before though. Don't think Shay is going anywhere. He's on savage money. The year on the bench at City didn't do he career any good.

I think Guzan made a significant contribution to keeping us up the season before last. Unfortunately we always remember the one blunder and Man City comes to mind with Brad.
    But that's the nature of being a goalkeeper and the blunder always sticks in your mind rather than the steady performances. Enckleman (ouch!) David James, David Seaman, Scott Carson etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

why the hell would begovic join us?
    he would be going backwords?
    unless we offer mega money qpr style which wont happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/25/ray-wilkins-aston-villa-coach-tim-sherwood

Ray Wilkins to Villa interesting and on balance a sound appointment I think.

My word!

• Advertisement

The Robbie Brady link is coming around again.

The Robbie Brady link is coming around again.

Would prefer Robertson. Wouldn't be unhappy with Brady all the same.

I wouldn't be too pleased with Brady to be honest, his overall game isn't great really. His crossing always gets him the praise but he's never impressed me where I would have wanted him playing for Villa. Robertson would be a much better choice and not getting him, attention should move elsewhere.

There are a couple of papers reporting that man city are looking to pick up Delph. Apparently he has a 10 million buy out clause.

There are a couple of papers reporting that man city are looking to pick up Delph. Apparently he has a 10 million buy out clause.
    Hopefully just 1 of the 100 players City have been linked with and theres nothing to it. Hopefully.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Hopefully just 1 of the 100 players City have been linked with and theres nothing to it. Hopefully.

It would be a sickener if that clause is true, it'd be crazy really.

It would be a sickener if that clause is true, it'd be crazy really.
    You can see why it would be, and how theres nothing the club could have done about it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

You can see why it would be, and how theres nothing the club could have done about it though.

Better than loosing him for nothing.
    Terry has his work cut out for him convincing players that we are a team worth playing for and not just relegation candidates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

From what I read it only applies this summer and only for a team in Europe. So it makes more sense that way because otherwise he would have gone for nothing

matrim wrote:
    From what I read it only applies this summer and only for a team in Europe. So it makes more sense that way because otherwise he would have gone for nothing

He came out and said he couldnt leave on a free because of all the support he got while he was injured

Begovic linked with Chelsea now. I've never thought Villa wold actually sign him, but he'd be a fool to go there.

Some links to Jordy Clasie of Feyenoord too, Southampton linked to him too. Would be another one I don't think would happen, but considering some of the pkayers the club has been linked with in the past few weeks, it's a welcome sign of quality.

Begovic linked with Chelsea now. I've never thought Villa wold actually sign him, but he'd be a fool to go there.

Some links to Jordy Clasie of Feyenoord too, Southampton linked to him too. Would be another one I don't think would happen, but considering some of the pkayers the club has been linked with in the past few weeks, it's a welcome sign of quality.

I'm sure Clasie would go to Southampton instead of Villa but that would excite me massively if it did happen.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ron-vlaar-putting-aston-villa-5964702

Ron Vlaar putting Aston Villa contract talks to one side to help disadvantaged youngsters in India

Well done Ron though I was beginning to forget our 'humiliating cup final thrashing ' until I read this.

Tjaronn Chery?

We haven't shopped well in the Dutch league. Hope it works out this time

• Advertisement

Liverpool don't want to pay Benteke's release clause.

Perfect, they can f*ck off then.

Linked with Cambiasso, talk is he won't be signing back with Leicester.

I'd take him definitely despite his age, would help the likes of Grealish and Westwood no end as well. His game was never speed or anything anyway so his age doesn't mean a huge drop in quality like it can be in some players

Agreed a £9m fee with Lille for Idrissa Gueye according to Sky.

That's on Wikipedia as "widely reported".

Only 5 goals in 135 games. I thought we had enough midfielders who couldn't score at the club. Anyone know anything about him?

That's on Wikipedia as "widely reported".

Only 5 goals in 135 games. I thought we had enough midfielders who couldn't score at the club. Anyone know anything about him?
    Football Manager (the source of all correct information ever) have him down as a defensive midfielder in the Tiote mould but with good passing stats.

Obviously I'm not suggesting Football Manager is that accurate, but they're probably right about the style of player that he is.

Agreed a £9m fee with Lille for Idrissa Gueye according to Sky.

This one looks true, hopefully not a Delph replacement .

This one looks true, hopefully not a Delph replacement .

For some reason Delph to City just doesn't seem like a fit to me.

He appears to be a defensive midfielder or at least has played there mostly so I don't think goals are an important stat really.

I think what's more interesting is the fee, been quite a while since the club has been spending that kind of money. Signing one of the clubs highest earners and near to £9m signing all within a few weeks, what the hell is going on!? :P

For some reason Delph to City just doesn't seem like a fit to me.

I don't think he's good enough for a title challenging team but then they've got Fernando and Fernandinho in there so....

• Advertisement

He appears to be a defensive midfielder or at least has played there mostly so I don't think goals are an important stat really.

I think what's more interesting is the fee, been quite a while since the club has been spending that kind of money. Signing one of the clubs highest earners and near to £9m signing all within a few weeks, what the hell is going on!? :P

New money men. Maybe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement