Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

For whatever it's worth - i like that we've changed sponsors!

Sick to death of those online gambling and zero day loan companies plastered all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Corholio wrote: »
    Late talk tonight that Given is joining Middlesbrough.

Good news if true.

He's three years over the hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yeah terrible keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Today FM sports news just said Stoke are now favourites to sign Given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Patser wrote: »
    Today FM sports news just said Stoke are now favourites to sign Given.

Swap for Begovic would be nice :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

There's no way a top keeper like him would head to us. I'd say he's on good money at Stoke as well. Our best bet is Championship or someone not at a big club in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭KNS

Maybe not the keeper we were hoping for. Sounds more like cover tbh & Guzan to stay as no 1 unless there's another in the pipeline.

Mark Bunn on a free. He was with Norwich last year.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~4851967,00.html

KNS wrote: »
    Maybe not the keeper we were hoping for. Sounds more like cover tbh & Guzan to stay as no 1 unless there's another in the pipeline.

Mark Bunn on a free. He was with Norwich last year.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~4851967,00.html

Seems like Ian Taylor might have been right after all.

Delph has not travelled with the squad to Portugal!!

But it's only cos his wife is expecting their second child :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Corholio wrote:
    Delph has not travelled with the squad to Portugal!!

Corholio wrote:
    But it's only cos his wife is expecting their second child

Well played! Had the desired effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Given passes Stoke medical. What a terrible signing he was for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Luna has gone to SD Eidar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Looks like Delph is gone to City. Expected to sign for them in the next 24 hours for £8m release fee.

Such a pity that for both Villa and Delph. City has been a graveyard for young English talent the last few seasons.

Still he fought hard to keep us up last season. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

rebelomar wrote: »
    Looks like Delph is gone to City. Expected to sign for them in the next 24 hours for £8m release fee.

Such a pity that for both Villa and Delph. City has been a graveyard for young English talent the last few seasons.

Still he fought hard to keep us up last season. Best of luck to him.

Signed a new contract and made captain, yet he's on his way. What chance have we got.

Disaster really. Disappointed in Delph really, thought he'd have been smarter than that. He might win something there on the bench but can't imagine a lot of City fans being too happy with the signing either in relative terms.

Sorry I jinxed it lads :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Where are you reading he is gone? I've only seen that he didn't travel cos of the birth of his child so far, that said betting was suspended on his next move after Micah Richards admitted to talking to him about moving to City
    "It makes it difficult because next year is the Euros.

"If you go to Man City and find yourself only playing 10 games and someone (else) has a really good season that player is going to play for England. Things can change.

"Sometimes you've got to strike when the iron's hot and Delph is playing well but it's a difficult decision. I'm sure he'll make the right one."

Players Out:-

Yacouba Sylla £1,000,000, Matthew Lowton £1,000,000, Andreas Weimann £2,750,000, Tom Cleverly loan ended, Darren Bent Free, Enda Stevens Free, Graham Burke Released, Chris Herd Released, Shay Given Released, Nickolas Helenius Released, Ron Vlaar Released, Luna Released

Players In:-

Micah Richards Free, Scott Sinclair £2,500,000, Mark Bunn Free

that is a big disparity in players out and leaves the squad a little light in terms of numbers but the wages saved should be substantial and help with recruiting more.

was just reading that the work permit for Idrissa Gueye should go through and he will be announced on monday (can't confirm that) so if Delph is gone he would be replaced immediately for around the same price but we would still need a Cleverly replacement. Delph would probably have been on a lot higher wage than Gueye too just like Given and Bunn and when you think about just Bent, Given, Weimann, Vlaar, Delph & Cleverly being gone there should be plenty of money for new players wages before we even dip into potential Sky / Benteke money.

Personally I don't think at least Tonev & J.Cole are up to the required standard either and wouldn't mind them being moved on but we need new faces first and fast.

Where are you reading he is gone?

Um, it's everywhere.

BBC website reporting it now.

Disappointing, of course. But after the last 5 years of strife, who can blame him for a big paycheck and chance of medals.

At least he'd the decency to give us a lift with the contract signing and ensure we got some money from him.

JPA wrote: »
    Um, it's everywhere.

seing that now, at least we should get 8/9m for him or whatever the clause is for. Fear he will only become a cup player for them but Villa need to quickly need to move on to replacing him and others now cos there is plenty of money to spend but not plenty of quality in the squad.

Would have liked to see Villa in for the 2 lads supposedly signing for Newcastle, Wijnaldum & Mitrovic.

9 million in for Delph, 9 million out in Gueye. Club is still running on break even mode.

• Advertisement

I hate him for this, lied to everyone.

6 months is a long time in football. That wink at the end......:mad:

"I'm proving there still is loyalty in football" Ouch.

I don't blame him and think that what he did probably works out reasonably well for Villa. Don't forget that he could have gone for free and picked up a nice signing on fee at the same time, by signing when he did he basically made villa 9m

One thing I will say is that unless we bring in 3-4 players of real potential like Amavi and Praet who we've been linked to us then the mood around the Club will be appalling again.

Add in the fact the Benteke rumours will prob run right till transfer deadline day then it's not a good look.

We need to be spending circa £40m on 3-4 players imo otherwise any momentum we gained under Sherwood will evaporate.

That spend when you add in the money we've received thus far and the new TV deal should be the minimum Sherwood accepts.

Player numbers wise we are shifting out a lot of the deadwood so I'm not too worried on that front.

matrim wrote: »
    I don't blame him and think that what he did probably works out reasonably well for Villa. Don't forget that he could have gone for free and picked up a nice signing on fee at the same time, by signing when he did he basically made villa 9m

Why say the things he said if he was going to get a low release clause stuck into his contract, saying one thing to the fans but plotting an easy escape behind the scenes.

Players Out:-

Yacouba Sylla £1,000,000, Matthew Lowton £1,000,000, Andreas Weimann £2,750,000, Tom Cleverly loan ended, Darren Bent Free, Enda Stevens Free, Graham Burke Released, Chris Herd Released, Shay Given Released, Nickolas Helenius Released, Ron Vlaar Released, Luna Released

Players In:-

Micah Richards Free, Scott Sinclair £2,500,000, Mark Bunn Free

From the players out there we aren't really missing much from last years squad.

Only Wiemann, Cleverly, Given, Lowton, Vlaar were involved in the first team

Wiemann replaced by Sinclair
    Lowton by Richards
    Given by Bunn

So that leaves Cleverly and Vlaar to replace from your list.

There is also a possibliity that Gary Gardner will be pushing for a spot after a good season in the Championship but I would still like to see a couple of midfielders in and a Vlaar replacement

rebelomar wrote: »
    One thing I will say is that unless we bring in 3-4 players of real potential like Amavi and Praet who we've been linked to us then the mood around the Club will be appalling again.

Add in the fact the Benteke rumours will prob run right till transfer deadline day then it's not a good look.

We need to be spending circa £40m on 3-4 players imo otherwise any momentum we gained under Sherwood will evaporate.

That spend when you add in the money we've received thus far and the new TV deal should be the minimum Sherwood accepts.

Player numbers wise we are shifting out a lot of the deadwood so I'm not too worried on that front.
    Let's be realistic. Amavi and Praet will do nothing to ease the loss of Delph and Benteke. Big signings are needed but I'm starting to feel like Sherwood isn't being given a chance to make a success of the club.

I can see myself ranting about Lerner by the end of this window in a big way.

CSF wrote: »
    Let's be realistic. Amavi and Praet will do nothing to ease the loss of Delph and Benteke. Big signings are needed but I'm starting to feel like Sherwood isn't being given a chance to make a success of the club.

I can see myself ranting about Lerner by the end of this window in a big way.

Depends what you mean by big signings...

I think we'll be looking at guys with potentially bigger resale value. I don't feel we're an attractive enough proposition to sign the big players you might have in mind unfortunately.

I don't fully agree. He'll still get big wages equal to any signing on fee anyway, 8m is peanuts to City. The announcement over the scoreboard of his new contract, the video proclaiming his loyalty, it's all left a bad taste in the mouth to be honest. This 'he's gained Villa 8 million' doesn't do much to even it out to be honest. To sign for 5 years, and say what he has said he comes out looking really, really bad to be honest. The way club handled it as well doesn't put them in good light either to be honest, announcing the new contract like they did but full knowing this zero benefit release clause was in there.

As for the 8 million he's so kindly bestowed upon the club, I wonder will Leeds be due something from it.

well at least the Gueye signing is official now according to SSN

• Advertisement

well at least the Gueye signing is official now according to SSN

On the OS, good timing.

On the OS, good timing.

TBH I wouldn't be suprised if it was planned that we held out announcing Delph until we got him.

Same way I wouldn't be surprised if the bentrke deal is done but we are holding back until we spend some of the money first to soften the blow and stop other clubs upping their selling price because we just got 32m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

TBH I wouldn't be suprised if it was planned that we held out announcing Delph until we got him.

Same way I wouldn't be surprised if the bentrke deal is done but we are holding back until we spend some of the money first to soften the blow and stop other clubs upping their selling price because we just got 32m

I hope we are in for Austin :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Sorry I jinxed it lads :(

And so you should be. I hope you're funding his replacement. €100 a week for 90,000 years should cover it, thanks.
    I don't fully agree. He'll still get big wages equal to any signing on fee anyway, 8m is peanuts to City. The announcement over the scoreboard of his new contract, the video proclaiming his loyalty, it's all left a bad taste in the mouth to be honest. This 'he's gained Villa 8 million' doesn't do much to even it out to be honest. To sign for 5 years, and say what he has said he comes out looking really, really bad to be honest. The way club handled it as well doesn't put them in good light either to be honest, announcing the new contract like they did but full knowing this zero benefit release clause was in there.

I can't remember exactly but was his previous contract up this summer or next?

If it was this summer, I'd have to say what he did was really in our interest. He could have left on a free, leaving Villa high and dry. Instead he gives the club and fans a boost (even if the club knew it was only till the end of the season) and they put in the clause because they knew, for the likes of Man City, at €8m it might as well be free. We're €8m better off now and he gets the move that he would have been entitled to had he not signed a new contract.

I assume there was plenty of negotiation over the fee, as unlike Benteke, the fee was not supposed to scare off potential suiters but instead just act as a sort of parachute payment. I'm sure Villa would have liked a bit more but Delph might have been afraid it would prevent a move and so could have just not signed a new contract and gone for free.

I'd give Delph credit for getting the club 8 million. I can't see how he gained anything by doing so (he'll have lost more from not being a bosman than he'd have gained from the extra wages for the last few months.

Would be such a shame for Delph personally if he finds himself making up the the homegrown quota and sitting in the stands every week like Sinclair and Richards before him.

No doubt he's convinced in his own ability to make an impact on the first team there.

With the Euros next year he's certainly taking a huge game.

I've no praise for Delph 'getting' the club money at all to be honest. The fans are the ones who lose out here, especially if there was some sort of agreement between the club and Delph. He would have earned the same money regardless, those small differences aren't even in City's stratosphere.

I've no problem with him leaving, players can always be replaced, the way its happened is a complete mess though, both on Delph's and the clubs part. Remember this is the guy who was pictured front and centre kissing the captains armband only a few days ago. Puts it to shame compared to some of the people who have worn it in the past.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

8 million is a joke in my oponion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

8 million for a home grown box to box athletic midfielder.

Tbh Liverpool should have been after him.

Villa got robbed at the money

• Advertisement

8 million is a joke in my oponion.

A joke. Full stop. Ridiculous clause.

A joke. Full stop. Ridiculous clause.

I'm going to assume Villa did not want this clause.

But the choice was either 8m with a chance of keeping him or nothing. If we wanted to cash in it should have been last summer or even before

The clubs Twitter header before....

CJVAu3_UwAAsM7k.jpg:large

and after......

1500x500

Delph, Benteke and, strangely, Sinclair removed.

Least they are already planning for the inevitable Benteke exit, least they didn't **** that one up and put a decent sized clause in his contract.

Have to say, whatever about Delph, the club have treated the fans disgracefully in all of this. Trying to spin the 'oh but least we got 8 million' line won't work if today's reaction from fans is anything to go by.

Surely though, if the alternative was losing him for nothing, the club have done well to get the 8 million.

Surely though, if the alternative was losing him for nothing, the club have done well to get the 8 million.

I mean of course, that's what they will say. But the way they went about it in January, announcing he had signed a new 5 year contract over the big screen in Villa Park before the Bournemouth game, Delph making that 'i've proved i'm loyal' video, a photo shoot a few days ago for the new jersey where Delph is kissing the captains armband. I mean of course if some fans are happy with the club getting 8 million and that's it, that's fine. But there's a lot today that feel let down by the club, especially those who go there week in, week out.

Either way, imo, the club look embarrassing. They either did some sort of deal with Delph in January for something like this to happen, or they naively put such a clause in the contract. They'll spin the money thing but you can see online tonight that it's not always about that.

• Advertisement

I mean of course, that's what they will say. But the way they went about it in January, announcing he had signed a new 5 year contract over the big screen in Villa Park before the Bournemouth game, Delph making that 'i've proved i'm loyal' video, a photo shoot a few days ago for the new jersey where Delph is kissing the captains armband. I mean of course if some fans are happy with the club getting 8 million and that's it, that's fine. But there's a lot today that feel let down by the club, especially those who go there week in, week out.

Either way, imo, the club look embarrassing. They either did some sort of deal with Delph in January for something like this to happen, or they naively put such a clause in the contract. They'll spin the money thing but you can see online tonight that it's not always about that.

Iirc the announcement came at a time when the club and fans needed a lift. I can fully understand why they would of made the most of it under those circumstances.

If anyone is to blame it would be Delph for insisting on the clause being put in there. The club made the best of a bad situation financially but it seems that Delph didn't believe in the future of the club and the clause was an easy way to get out of his contract early. Man City could easily turn a profit in the future so it was a no brainier for them.
    The clubs Twitter header before....

CJVAu3_UwAAsM7k.jpg:large

The font in that picture is rather childish btw. I blame the marketing team and their font guy.

listermint wrote: »
    Tbh Liverpool should have been after him.

Clause was for a Champions League club so Liverpool would of had to pay what he was worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Got rid of some of the dead wood and under performers some more to shift on , Richards and Gueye coming in, Villa linked with Andros Townsend.

I can't help thinking if TS had another look at Gil, brought in a few more quality players we would have a stronger squad than last year.

I don't think the club could have known City would have gone in for Delph. Video or not, they've got 8 million where the alternative would have otherwise been 0.

I don't think the club could have known City would have gone in for Delph. Video or not, they've got 8 million where the alternative would have otherwise been 0.

Why did Delph and his agent insist on that low clause? Why did he make that video and say what he said? That is the issue

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement