Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Benteke and Delph gone from the villa banner of the new jerseys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

JPA wrote: »
    Why did Delph and his agent insist on that low clause? Why did he make that video and say what he said? That is the issue

I agree on the video and what he said. But that's not the club's fault. I think the club would have figured they'd have had a good shout at keeping him this summer. He had a really really good end to the summer and it didn't pan out that way unfortunately.

In spite of the video and how poor a decision that was, I still think he should be commended for getting the club an extra 8 million (almost paying for his replacement) when he didn't really benefit at all from doing so.

I'm pissed off about the situation too, very much so. But worth noting that the alternative here was Delph not signing a contract, and that 8 million not being available for a replacement.

Ideal case scenario, he would have signed a long-term contract with no release clause, but in spite of the fact that he has showed some loyalty here, expecting him to commit with no chance for exit to a team that could very easily have been relegated this summer, and may well have to fight it again this coming season, is expecting more than loyalty from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

He could have had a relegation release clause, no issue there. I'd imagine the club were told put in the release clause or no contract. But why not a decent figure, 14 million or something?

And then this interview,
    He said: "The club has given me a great platform to perform and a great opportunity to showcase what I can do.

"The fans have been great with me, the chairman has been absolutely fantastic with me and I have a great relationship with the manager and I see the boys here as my brothers, my family and I am delighted to stay here.

"I am a loyal person and committing my future will hopefully show everybody what type of guy I am.

"I feel like this is me - I love the club, I love being here and I want to put 100% into everything I do here. This is my club and I want to be here. That's why I am committing my future.

"Hopefully it will give everyone a bit of a lift and show the fans that we are looking to do big things here and bring excitement back to the club.

"We want to get through this season, do well and I feel the up-and-coming years will be big.

"There was no way I was going to bail out. I am here for the long run.

"The fans have been the same. I am sure they will stick with us, help us get through this season and then looking into the future, it looks promising to me."

It's embarrassing for the fans, the club and for Delph but somehow I don't think he'll care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

CSF wrote: »
    I agree on the video and what he said. But that's not the club's fault. I think the club would have figured they'd have had a good shout at keeping him this summer. He had a really really good end to the summer and it didn't pan out that way unfortunately.

In spite of the video and how poor a decision that was, I still think he should be commended for getting the club an extra 8 million (almost paying for his replacement) when he didn't really benefit at all from doing so.

I'm pissed off about the situation too, very much so. But worth noting that the alternative here was Delph not signing a contract, and that 8 million not being available for a replacement.

Ideal case scenario, he would have signed a long-term contract with no release clause, but in spite of the fact that he has showed some loyalty here, expecting him to commit with no chance for exit to a team that could very easily have been relegated this summer, and may well have to fight it again this coming season, is expecting more than loyalty from him.

He could have signed something like a 2 year deal and even if Villa got relegated, he still would have left regardless, there always was a big chance of an exit in that circumstance. If its just money then the club made 8 million, for everything else the supporters were sold right down the river on this one.

He could have had a relegation release clause, no issue there. I'd imagine the club were told put in the release clause or no contract. But why not a decent figure, 14 million or something?

And then this interview,

It's embarrassing for the fans, the club and for Delph but somehow I don't think he'll care.
    Its absolutely a poorly advised interview. No arguments there. Mostly because in this day and age, pretty much nobody stays at a consistent relegation candidate with no realistic potential to compete with the big boys, when there is an offer to move to a title contender with the potential to compete at the latter stages of Europe, all the while earning a significant amount more.

A relegation release clause would have been of more benefit to Villa, but remember at the time, Lambert was still in charge and did it ever look like under Lambert that there'd be a season where it wasn't going to be a relegation battle?

He isn't gone to West Ham or Everton, or even Liverpool. He is going to genuinely compete for the Premier League title, and I don't think it shows a lack of loyalty to move there. You can be loyal and still take an offer that is too good to refuse. I doubt Delph knew this offer would be on the table when he signed the contract. I suspect he intended to be here in August but why would he reject Man City to stay at Villa?

CSF wrote: »
    Its absolutely a poorly advised interview. No arguments there. Mostly because in this day and age, pretty much nobody stays at a consistent relegation candidate with no realistic potential to compete with the big boys, when there is an offer to move to a title contender with the potential to compete at the latter stages of Europe, all the while earning a significant amount more.

A relegation release clause would have been of more benefit to Villa, but remember at the time, Lambert was still in charge and did it ever look like under Lambert that there'd be a season where it wasn't going to be a relegation battle?

He isn't gone to West Ham or Everton, or even Liverpool. He is going to genuinely compete for the Premier League title, and I don't think it shows a lack of loyalty to move there. You can be loyal and still take an offer that is too good to refuse. I doubt Delph knew this offer would be on the table when he signed the contract. I suspect he intended to be here in August but why would he reject Man City to stay at Villa?

The only point I am making is why sign a contract, speak about loyalty, loving the club, here for the long run etc when there was a pathetic release clause behind the scenes?

Grand, it's hard to turn down City but usually it's beneficial to all parties when they come in for a player, without that clause Villa might have got double the money. Or without the clause nobody might even have come in for him.
    This isn't like Milner or Barry leaving or even Downing, where the club made good money. This is about feeling deceived and not even getting compensated for it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Delph is staying at Villa now according to SSN

WE LOVE YOU DELPH!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Loyalty or failed medical?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I thought he'd already agreed to the move and was doing a medical. What could have changed? Did City pull the plug or did they tell Delph that he'd likely be a backup and so he walked away?

Madness altogether.

Delph's statement makes it seem like there was never any move, but all other sources suggest otherwise. It does seem like a late, late u-turn by Delph.

Corholio wrote: »
    Madness altogether.

Delph's statement makes it seem like there was never any move, but all other sources suggest otherwise. Bizarre.

Was the media completely wrong or did he simply decide against it I wonder? Kinda bizarre.

Was the media completely wrong or did he simply decide against it I wonder? Kinda bizarre.

I don't think they were wrong, he was removed from the social media banners etc and all the local Villa media sources reported it, and BBC also. It strongly suggests a change of mind from Delph. Lerner was reported to have flown in to Birmingham yesterday so possibly this may have had something to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

May have something to do with his bum knee or whatever he injured a few times

Gregg Evans is reporting that Delph woke up this morning and had a complete change of heart.

Let it always be said Fabian my sweet prince, that I stood up for your integrity when all others had lost belief in you.

GET IN!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭KNS

That's the best bit of news I've heard in a while. Was seriously worried how we'd replace him. He dragged us through a good few games this year and I'd head and shoulders above anyone else in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Maybe he wanted assurances of playing time and couldn't get it

• Advertisement

I hope it comes out what happened, he'd be doing himself even further service with fans if he said why he changed his mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭KNS

It's surely down to playing time. Did he have a chat with Roy hodgson maybe. Can't be money! I'm sure he would've been on far more than he is with us.

It'll be interesting to see the press releases and it the republish all the old media.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

could speculate on the reason but Feck it, it's awesome to have our captain staying and with both him and his "replacement" Gueye our midfield is looking plenty solid now.

really didn't expect him to stay after what had transgressed but I now love that image of him showing off the captains armband for Villa's kit launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I am happy.

It was a terrible move for him and the club.

Maybe he had a pint with Sinclair.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Sherwood has said it about Benteke and I think the same applied to Delph change clubs now and you could find yourself missing out on the Euros.

Regular first team football keeps you noticed, bench warming will give you plenty of time to watch Euros on TV

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Sherwood has said it about Benteke and I think the same applied to Delph change clubs now and you could find yourself missing out on the Euros.

Regular first team football keeps you noticed, bench warming will give you plenty of time to watch Euros on TV

to be fair to Benteke he would be starting week in week out for Liverpool but as said in the summer window thread I'd love to see him turn them down if they activate his clause like City did Delphs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Good decision by Delph. Better choice for his career at the moment.

Commonsense prevails all round. Hopefully he'll kick on again this season and make the England squad for the Euros.

Big boost for the Club

Villa team playing Fulham in Portugal right now, Steer, Baker, Richards, Bacuna, Richardson, Mason, Westwood, Gil, N’Zogbia, Robinson, Agbonlahor.

reading that as:

...........................Steer

Bacuna.......Richards.......Baker....Richardson

....................Mason...Westwood
    Gil...............................................N'Zogbia

...................Gabby....Robinson

Hopefully Gil can impress Tim in pre-season and get more of a chance than he did in the run in this year. Though if we sign lots of players like the linked Praet then youd expect he would at best stay on the bench but I liked what I saw pre Sherwood arriving and not fancying him and he's till only 22 and can improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

What fecking great and unexpected news!!!!!

Gil starts for Sherwood!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Delph staying is big news. He's been our best player for a few years now. Be great if Benteke had a similar change of heart

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    Delph staying is big news. He's been our best player for a few years now. Be great if Benteke had a similar change of heart

You mentioned our best player and its not Delph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Villa team playing Fulham in Portugal right now, Steer, Baker, Richards, Bacuna, Richardson, Mason, Westwood, Gil, N’Zogbia, Robinson, Agbonlahor.

Mason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

You mentioned our best player and its not Delph.

Probably. Our 2 best players then

Beat ya!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Synode wrote: »
    Probably. Our 2 best players then

Although delph tends to get caught in possession at times, he has been instrumental in keeping Villa up the last couple of seasons. I like synode would agree that he is villas best player.

It's all about opinion. Don't want to drag the thread off on who is better delph or benteke

Lost 3-1 but I think I saw that Kozak scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Great for Kozak to score on his return after 18 mths had high has great potential hopefully he has a good preseason and can kick on

kilburn wrote:
    Great for Kozak to score on his return after 18 mths had high has great potential hopefully he has a good preseason and can kick on

If he didn't have such a bad injury he would have been a good replacement for Tekers. It will be hard to judge until he has a few games now but he might be damn hungry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Think it'll take a season before we see the best of Kozak after his injury.

Charlie Nzog should go think he's had enough opportunity but not delivered but TS does like him.

TS needs to get more goals out of Gabby or he should only be used as a sub

The likes of Okore Sanchez and Grealish need to push on now with more consistent good performances.

As regards benteke I think we are in a win win situation, I'd like him to stay but the bulk of 32£ mill spent wisely should really see us comfortably mid table.

pavb2 wrote: »
    Think it'll take a season before we see the best of Kozak after his injury.

Charlie Nzog should go think he's had enough opportunity but not delivered but TS does like him.

TS needs to get more goals out of Gabby or he should only be used as a sub

The likes of Okore Sanchez and Grealish need to push on now with more consistent good performances.

As regards benteke I think we are in a win win situation, I'd like him to stay but the bulk of 32£ mill spent wisely should really see us comfortably mid table.
    It is Lerner we're dealing with here. How much of that money would be reinvested in transfer fees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

What's the story with the takeover? I read that the exclusivity agreement with the potential buyer was for six weeks. That was five weeks ago, so does that mean if a deal isn't done this week, it's back to square one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

What's the story with the takeover? I read that the exclusivity agreement with the potential buyer was for six weeks. That was five weeks ago, so does that mean if a deal isn't done this week, it's back to square one.

I believe the exclusivity arrangement runs out next Monday. I suspect the deal has been done and that they are waiting to announce it as late as possible to avoid inflated transfer fees. Looking at this transfer window with one €9m signing made and another 3 players linked at a similar value it certainly looks like Randy isn't holding the purse strings any longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

V1llianous wrote: »
    I believe the exclusivity arrangement runs out next Monday. I suspect the deal has been done and that they are waiting to announce it as late as possible to avoid inflated transfer fees. Looking at this transfer window with one €9m signing made and another 3 players linked at a similar value it certainly looks like Randy isn't holding the purse strings any longer.

To be honest its coming across more that Villa are spending the cash they are expecting from Benteke's sale.

Same with Liverpool. I feel we have been spending the cash we expect from Sterling and thats why we have brought in a few players and are trying to bring in Benteke.

Its easier to bring in players before you make the cash from a player as prices wont be inflated until after the big sale.

But I could be (and often am) totally off base. I would just expect more chatter from a potential takeover rather than just a couple of stories in the local

Some 'reports' from Italy that Villa are in advanced talks to signing Sergi Darder from Malaga.

He actually scored against Villa when Malaga played in a friendly at Villa Park a few years ago, not the first time Villa have been linked to him as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Mr.H wrote: »
    To be honest its coming across more that Villa are spending the cash they are expecting from Benteke's sale.

Same with Liverpool. I feel we have been spending the cash we expect from Sterling and thats why we have brought in a few players and are trying to bring in Benteke.

Its easier to bring in players before you make the cash from a player as prices wont be inflated until after the big sale.

But I could be (and often am) totally off base. I would just expect more chatter from a potential takeover rather than just a couple of stories in the local

I disagree TBH, if it was a striker or strikers we were signing it would be that case but we've not signed one and that would be critical if Benteke was going as he is our main striker.

The exclusivity on the sale has a big confidentiality agreement so nothing coming out seems like no-one wants to jeopardise anything by premature leaks.

Corholio wrote: »
    Some 'reports' from Italy that Villa are in advanced talks to signing Sergi Darder from Malaga.

He actually scored against Villa when Malaga played in a friendly at Villa Park a few years ago, not the first time Villa have been linked to him as well.

21yr old Spanish CM who actually scored against Villa in a friendly a few years back.

was reading that too but I wonder was that when Delph was expected to leave, he is a CM afterall, although who knows maybe TS is planning starting 3 CMs and wants 2 for each position (Delph, Gueye, Darder, Sanchez, Westood, Gardner).

surprising lack of links to CFs you would think if Benteke might be going anywhere that we would be sniffing around some, especially when its a release clause that could lead to his leaving so Villa might have no say in the matter and therefore should really have sounded out potential replacements just in case. Don't wanna be left with just Gabby and Kozak up front

edit: that is except for Adebayor who Spurs would be happy to pay some of is wages to offload him apparently. I'd be happy with him on loan but I don't really want him on a permanent deal. He is aging and his motivation can be questionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

his motivation can be questionable.
    The understatement of the year award goes to...*drum roll*...

• Advertisement

The understatement of the year award goes to...*drum roll*...

:D

Other interesting links are The one to 23 year old Ghanaian and Lorient front-man Jordan Ayew.

Mason Holgate who made 22 appearances last season at Barnsley could also be an interesting one as I think we need a RB but judging by the links maybe one for the future is the best we will get and an 18yr old at 1m fits that bill

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement