Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Can't help but wonder... Keane's in the door barely 5 minutes and Grealish wants to declare for England all of a sudden... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I never really understand this to be honest. You should declare for the country that you want to represent, they country that you feel part of. You shouldn't just play for a country because you'll get a game. I know some players have a dual nationality but surely there's one country you have your heart set on playing for and if you are not bothered then don't play international football at all.

I think the issue with Jack is that he feels as much Irish as he is English. He's Brum born and bred, but he's of Irish descent and, according to his brother Kev, feels as Irish as he does English.

If he chooses England it'll probably be a long time until his first cap, which would definitely be more beneficial for Villa, but the problem is that, as we know, once you're in the English setup your head tends to get turned very quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

A young lad who looks as promising as Jack does if he gets involved with England he could very quickly end up like his namesake, Mr Wilshere.

The English press will absolutely tear him to shreds if he doesn't become the player they think he should have become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Gardner on loan to Brighton till January. Makes me sad to see him being a loanee these days, had so much potential a few years ago. Those injuries have knocked the stuffing out of him I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I think it could be good for him. He needs to get games under his belt to prove he can still play

But with him gone and KEA possibly going too, we'd still need another CM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

We needed space in the squad and it gets him game time. That's a positive loan in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭LeBash

I never really understand this to be honest. You should declare for the country that you want to represent, they country that you feel part of. You shouldn't just play for a country because you'll get a game. I know some players have a dual nationality but surely there's one country you have your heart set on playing for and if you are not bothered then don't play international football at all.

i agree. Just like Nolan when Ireland kept trying. As he said, he might get 50 caps for Ireland but 1 England cap would mean more to him. I doubt he regrets that decission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

: Given, Baker, Bacuna, Cole, Senderos, Westwood, Richardson, Bent, Hutton, Sanchez, Grealish

Grealish gets a first start, will be interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

JPA wrote: »
    : Given, Baker, Bacuna, Cole, Senderos, Westwood, Richardson, Bent, Hutton, Sanchez, Grealish

Grealish gets a first start, will be interesting

on paper should be a strong enough side to win tonight any way.

on paper should be a strong enough side to win tonight any way.

So was united's team last night

• Advertisement

What are we all thinking in terms of shape with that lineup? I'll go with:
    Given
    Hutton Senderos Baker Richardson
    Sanchez Westwood
    Bacuna Cole Grealish
    Bent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Anybody good enough to pm me a stream of the match? , if one exists thanks

None around unless someone finds a satellite feed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

COYVB wrote: »
    None around unless someone finds a satellite feed
    Cheers, Ill keep looking then, cant be bothered watching Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

No shots and Leyton Orient have had 56% possession. Not promising. Hopefully Senderos doesn't pick up any bad habits playing alongside Baker.

Sounds like we're doing relatively well (listening on TalkSport), but just not getting any clear cut chances. Wide players sound like they're getting crosses in well enough anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Patser

Bent missed a 1 v 1 with keeper after great pass from Cole. By all accounts a decent save

Now Orient with a great chance, open header missed

Grealish winning loads of frees.

Cole fairly poor by all accounts, went off for Weimann there.

Ooooooooh bollix

• Advertisement

Shocking.

And we're out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭LeBash

Im not dissapointed. We are better off put of it unless we are heavily rotating the squad for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Patser wrote: »
    And we're out

Only 18k at it as well - should temper expectations for the season.

I honestly thought we could go on a good cup run.

36pts to go in the league

What a pile of ****. One ****ing substitution.
    That is rubbish.

So apparently we had 13 shots and only 1 on target.

Disappointed because there were enough people in that line up who should be in or around our main starting line up. We are completly toothless and have been for ages. Lambert needs to sort it out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Bent missed two 1v1's vs their keeper apparently. Bacuna and Baker missing sitters. Then we got caught. That happens, we badly need Benteke back to convert chances.

I'd say that may be Bent's last chance. Good riddance.

Ronaldinho is still available on a free I think.

TalkSport reckoned we should've won comfortably, just kept missing sitters

• Advertisement

A forward on loan until January would be nice, surely Benteke and possibly Kozak will be up to speed by then. Even someone like Patrick Bamford might do.

Horrific result really whatever way you wanna spin it. 1 shot on target in last 3 home games too. Whatever about being without Benteke and Kozak, stats and results like that have absolutely no excuse. Saying 'oh it's just the League Cup' doesn't fly when the awfulness is consistently endemic in the team.

Cue Lambert's 'can't fault their effort' spiel. Just not good enough really. Cole getting a hammering on Twitter from people at the game too.

I think in the case of today it was more the attackers couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. They may not have gotten shots on target, but we had a load of clear cut chances that we completely spooned

I think in the case of today it was more the attackers couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. They may not have gotten shots on target, but we had a load of clear cut chances that we completely spooned

Im sure Lambert said something like that after the match too, 'Get up and go again' etc. Too many days like that for it to be individual. The 17,000 or so that were there probably knew what they would see anyway, the reason the other 25,000 or so stayed away. Hope this new CEO is upto the job, because the men above and below him certainly aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

So was united's team last night

that's why I said on paper :pac:

That's life though. was hoping Villa would win but not to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,654 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Corholio wrote: »
    Im sure Lambert said something like that after the match too, 'Get up and go again' etc. Too many days like that for it to be individual. The 17,000 or so that were there probably knew what they would see anyway, the reason the other 25,000 or so stayed away. Hope this new CEO is upto the job, because the men above and below him certainly aren't.
    4 points from 6 so far, can't be worrying about 2nd string League Cup defeats. Hull on Sunday is the priority.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

That was Bents chance and it was blown, cant see him getting too many starts now and when Benteke / Kozak return he will not even get sub appearances i'd wager while if he had put away one or two of his supposed sitters from today he coulda been right back in the fray.

It is disappointing of course as yes that team was def good enough to go through against Orient but from the reports if not fot toothless strikers this would have been bourne out so at least not everyone must have been too bad.

Hopefully the team will benefit from a few less games and potentially less injuries etc as a result and a win against Hull and I wont care tbh even if this is still disappointing

CSF wrote: »
    4 points from 6 so far, can't be worrying about 2nd string League Cup defeats. Hull on Sunday is the priority.

Ask the fans watching if they were worried about the Sheff Utd, Bradford and now Leyton Orient games either. He's had too many 'its just the League Cup' get outs now. Barely got a point at the weekend too. Sat on his hands tonight when he had 2 subs left with 10 min to go. The cups are where under pressure managers get some of the fans behind them again, we couldn't have had worse exits in cups under Lambert. Lot of reports ive read is that it was mostly sideways passing and slow play, doesn't seem like we played that well despite missed chances.

Lot of staunch Lambert match going supporters on forums turning against Lambert tonight, I think little snapshots like that are significant. We will never advance in any significant way under him IMO.

Ask the fans watching if they were worried about the Sheff Utd, Bradford and now Leyton Orient games either. He's had too many 'its just the League Cup' get outs now. Barely got a point at the weekend too. Sat on his hands tonight when he had 2 subs left with 10 min to go. The cups are where under pressure managers get some of the fans behind them again, we couldn't have had worse exits in cups under Lambert. Lot of reports ive read is that it was mostly sideways passing and slow play, doesn't seem like we played that well despite missed chances.

Lot of staunch Lambert match going supporters on forums turning against Lambert tonight, I think little snapshots like that are significant. We will never advance in any significant way under him IMO.
    I was at the first 2 games you mentioned and will be at the one on Sunday hoping for better than tonight. I was disappointed over those games, but you have to look at the bigger picture rationally instead of being emotive.

4 points from 6 is more than fine so far, and hopefully it can become 7 from 9 before a ridiculously daunting fixture list that could really see the tide turn against Lambert.

CSF wrote: »
    I was at the first 2 games you mentioned and will be at the one on Sunday hoping for better than tonight. I was disappointed over those games, but you have to look at the bigger picture rationally instead of being emotive.

4 points from 6 is more than fine so far, and hopefully it can become 7 from 9 before a ridiculously daunting fixture list that could really see the tide turn against Lambert.

The bigger picture seems to be the bigger picture for god knows how long now. It's not emotive at all, being extremely disappointed is quite a tame emotion to what some felt behind the dugout tonight after the game. It shouldn't take a really tough fixture list for the tide to turn against him though, it's there for all to see that he has hardly evolved the team tactically or game plan wise.

Hopefully the team will get a win at the weekend because with whats coming up, that tide might be overwhelming should the team play like they did at the weekend or tonight.

The bigger picture seems to be the bigger picture for god knows how long now. It's not emotive at all, being extremely disappointed is quite a tame emotion to what some felt behind the dugout tonight after the game. It shouldn't take a really tough fixture list for the tide to turn against him though, it's there for all to see that he has hardly evolved the team tactically or game plan wise.

Hopefully the team will get a win at the weekend because with whats coming up, that tide might be overwhelming should the team play like they did at the weekend or tonight.
    The bigger picture has been the bigger picture for a long time now. I would have been happy enough if he had gone at the end of last season. He didn't though so I've to judge him on this one and if I was offered this start from the first 3 games I would have snapped it up. Sunday is the big one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Ronaldinho is still available on a free I think.
    He's still available for a reason.

No big deal losing in the league cup early. It just means we can concentrate on staying up. We badly need Kozak or Benteke back as soon as possible.

Delph got an england call up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

matrim wrote: »
    Delph got an england call up
    Deserved. If he played for Man U or Arsenal they'd be calling him the next Bryan Robson.

We are in for Tom Cleverley with bid accepted.
    From a guy who knew about Sanchez in and Tonev out. Eek!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

We are in for Tom Cleverley with bid accepted.
    From a guy who knew about Sanchez in and Tonev out. Eek!

No, no, no, no, no.

I hate the ways he kicks a football, I didn't think that was a thing you could hate but his overly-affected passing style kills me.

Tom Cleverley would be a disastrous signing and would spell the end for Lambert fairly quickly. Westwood is a far superior player while KEA provides adequate cover.

He's still available for a reason.

Last years South American footballer of the year all the same.

I actually think he'd be good for us as the advanced player in a midfield 3.

I actually think he'd be good for us as the advanced player in a midfield 3.

Hopefully that is Ronadinho you are referring to. Cleverley is meant to be on £40k a week at United, Ronaldinho was on roughly £25k a week last season in Brazil. I know which one I'd prefer at those prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Hopefully that is Ronadinho you are referring to. Cleverley is meant to be on £40k a week at United, Ronaldinho was on roughly £25k a week last season in Brazil. I know which one I'd prefer at those prices.

I reckon he gets a lot more bang for his buck in Brazil though ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement