Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Takeover is off according to Colley. Great, Lerner will 'love' the club for a few months and then get bored again.

2q3u5o1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

How can a takeover fail? Whoever it is wants to buy or doesn't. There's hardy a load of secret debt is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Isn't this the second time we've failed due diligence. Or did it fail before that last year?

You have to wonder why it failed at such a late stage

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Disappointing but at least we are spending money at the moment (or at least trying to - putting in bids etc) and not just on Benteke replacements so hopefully it isn't "Benteke money" being spent and instead Lerner is allowing the Sky money to be invested cos new owners or not everyone knows that investment is needed in playing staff at Villa and thankfully a lot of the deadwood has been shifted off the wage bill.

and yeah this seems to be the second time such an issue has happened but in some ways im happy as at least we won't end up with the wrong owners. I know some would argue we have that now but Randy being so cautious might guarantee Villa are kept in good hands moving forward.

Also close to signing Amavi from Nice too, £9m fee agreed and player to decide if he wants to come.

Quotes from Sherwood on the takeover:

“I think it’s dead now to be honest,” said Sherwood.
    “It was fairly live but I think the people who were talking are now not there.
    “The chairman is picking it up and running with it now.
    “I’m not sure if anyone is too close now.
    “Until it’s done it’s never there.”

Also says we may need to sell before any more players come in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Mr.H wrote: »
    To be honest its coming across more that Villa are spending the cash they are expecting from Benteke's sale.

Same with Liverpool. I feel we have been spending the cash we expect from Sterling and thats why we have brought in a few players and are trying to bring in Benteke.

Its easier to bring in players before you make the cash from a player as prices wont be inflated until after the big sale.

But I could be (and often am) totally off base. I would just expect more chatter from a potential takeover rather than just a couple of stories in the local
    V1llianous wrote: »
    I disagree TBH, if it was a striker or strikers we were signing it would be that case but we've not signed one and that would be critical if Benteke was going as he is our main striker.

The exclusivity on the sale has a big confidentiality agreement so nothing coming out seems like no-one wants to jeopardise anything by premature leaks.

For what its worth I hope someone does come in soon and bring the club back to the top end of the league

As for the Benteke money ye havent spent the lot and with rumours of Lambert going the other way I can still see ye signing another striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Liverpool trying to offload lambert/borini and cash in a swap deal for tekkers...i dont think so.
    I think randy learned his lesson after the stephen ireland and milner debacle.

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Liverpool trying to offload lambert/borini and cash in a swap deal for tekkers...i dont think so.
    I think randy learned his lesson after the stephen ireland and milner debacle.

Didnt Villa bid 5 million for Lambert in January?

Didnt Villa bid 5 million for Lambert in January?

Paul Lambert did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Wouldn't mind Borini as long as it's still 25 mill cash with him. Lambert can get f*cked.

• Advertisement

Liverpool were mad not to take that Lambert deal last January, don't want hm now though. Wouldnt't say no to Borini tbh as long as we signed another CF (not Lambert) as a Benteke replacement.

I would be hopeful the sell before we buy thing might just refer to something like after Amavi signs we see Cissokho leave so as not to have our wage bill jump too much and in all honesty is just to stop expectations going too high about signings and stop teams we are negotiating with from thinking we can pay whatever pre selling Benteke cos I really don't think we in anyway could get screwed by FFP considering the sky deal and how much we have already knocked off the wage bill.

I would have preferred Lambert to Borini myself. Much better scoring record (last year aside). apart from his age Rickie is a decent striker who can score goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Any chance of Sherwood working his magic on Mario?
    Get Pool to sub the wages too :pac:

Doodee wrote: »
    Any chance of Sherwood working his magic on Mario?
    Get Pool to sub the wages too :pac:

:) I wouldnt be surprised if we had to pay ye extra to take Mario. Wouldnt wish that on anyone let alone Villa (a team I am quiet fond of)

Liverpool were mad not to take that Lambert deal last January, don't want hm now though. Wouldnt't say no to Borini tbh as long as we signed another CF (not Lambert) as a Benteke replacement.

I would be hopeful the sell before we buy thing might just refer to something like after Amavi signs we see Cissokho leave so as not to have our wage bill jump too much and in all honesty is just to stop expectations going too high about signings and stop teams we are negotiating with from thinking we can pay whatever pre selling Benteke cos I really don't think we in anyway could get screwed by FFP considering the sky deal and how much we have already knocked off the wage bill.

It was Lambert who turned down the move, Liverpool and Villa had agreed the fee. I never thought Cissokho was fantastic but I thought he still did fine, better option than Richardson anyway, couple of good games at the end of last season doesn't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Corholio wrote: »
    It was Lambert who turned down the move, Liverpool and Villa had agreed the fee. I never thought Cissokho was fantastic but I thought he still did fine, better option than Richardson anyway, couple of good games at the end of last season doesn't change that.

Yes I thought that. Cissokho looked quite lively down the wing when he first came. Agreed I'm not sure why Richardson seems to be in the reckoning same as Cleverly to a degree a few decent games and we quickly forget the previous poor performances they'd put in.

:) I wouldnt be surprised if we had to pay ye extra to take Mario. Wouldnt wish that on anyone let alone Villa (a team I am quiet fond of)
    He'd be my new favourite player within a minute of joining unquestionably.

It's the sun so sorry but looks like Holgate won't be signing
    Manchester United have stolen a march on Aston Villa and Swansea City to bring in Mason Holgate on trial, report The Sun.

The Barnsley defender has one year remaining on his contract, with the Tykes permitting him to train with the Red Devils with a view to a move.

The Sun report Holgate, 18, is training with the remaining members of United's squad, with the first team having flown out on the club's US tour.

It would therefore be under-21 coach Warren Joyce rather than Louis van Gaal running the rule over the player.

tbh I was happy with Cissokho at LB and believed RB was more of a concern but it doesn't seem TS rates him and I doubt he will stay as back up for Amavi who seems close to signing.

tbh I was happy with Cissokho at LB and believed RB was more of a concern but it doesn't seem TS rates him and I doubt he will stay as back up for Amavi who seems close to signing.

Amavi deal seems almost 90% and by all accounts this is a massive coup.

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »

Ligue 1 stats from whoscored :

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/74/Tournaments/22/Seasons/4279/Stages/9105/PlayerStatistics/France-Ligue-1-2014-2015

Sherwood says he wants to bring in around 4 players and wants to get rid of about 6 or 7, but says he is struggling to do so.

Sherwood says he wants to bring in around 4 players and wants to get rid of about 6 or 7, but says he is struggling to do so.

Course he is, Lerner is still in charge.

Hendrik Almstadt appointed Villa's first ever Sporting Director, poached from Arsenal where he was head of business development.

Birmingham Mail also interestingly running strongly with the story that United will bid for Benteke very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

JPA wrote: »

I'm becoming very pessimistic but I can see him having a good season and then saying he wants to move to a bigger club. Hopefully there's a massive buy out clause in his contract so if this happens at least we can cash in.

I'm becoming very pessimistic but I can see him having a good season and then saying he wants to move to a bigger club. Hopefully there's a massive buy out clause in his contract so if this happens at least we can cash in.

If he's as good as we hope, we might get 2 seasons out of him then double our money and replace.
    We need to be realists and realise this is the most sustainable way to run the club.

Seems everywhere is reporting Man Utd stepping up their pursuit of Tekkers in a move that would troll Liverpool fans like no other. In terms of Villa if it happens we need to get on signing a replacement asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

There aren't many players that we have that are actually worth much. If he sold 6 or 7 players we'd be lucky to get £15m back in transfer fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Seems everywhere is reporting Man Utd stepping up their pursuit of Tekkers in a move that would troll Liverpool fans like no other. In terms of Villa if it happens we need to get on signing a replacement asap.

Probably offer £20m and Holgate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Apparently the chap who broke the Origi story is saying its nailed on for Pool. Possible that Villa are trying to land a replacement before it goes through to prevent extortion from selling clubs. I hope it is a proven PL goal scorer if so (Austin) as it will be a huge risk otherwise given the lack of goals from others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

I'd prefer he went to ManU rather than Liverpool.

No more dicking around with the fee, they're in the Champions League and going for the title so at least he's moving up.

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    I'd prefer he went to ManU rather than Liverpool.

No more dicking around with the fee, they're in the Champions League and going for the title so at least he's moving up.

As long as the release clause is paid I don't mind who.

Also not really bothered who he goes to if he does go but I'd say Chelsea would be the best fit though I don't think they are in the market for another CF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

CSF wrote: »
    As long as the release clause is paid I don't mind who.

.. and I don't want to draw any Liverpool v Man U rubbish on to this page.

But if he goes to a Utd. or Chelsea then it's better for the clubs profile across Europe and should help attracting players.

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    .. and I don't want to draw any Liverpool v Man U rubbish on to this page.

It comes......it always comes. :P

It looks like Liverpool now have met the release clause.

'Best young Belgian in Europe' now.

• Advertisement

In more encouraging news Sherwood has said Gil will play a lot more next season and will be an important player.

He also said he won't be signing any no.10 type players because he's been impressed with him in pre season, it seems the pursuits of Chery and Praet have slowed because of this.

Tekekrs having a medical at Liverpool it seems.

Genk are also due 15% of any fee.

Sherwood on Gil
    “I think he impressed the fans so much when he first signed because everyone else was so poor.

Made me chuckle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Tekekrs having a medical at Liverpool it seems.

Genk are also due 15% of any fee.

Where are you seeing about the medical?

'Rumours' of Roma representatives in the UK to discuss selling Mattia Destro and Adam Ljalic to Villa.

Destro is decent enough but Ljalic would be a fantastic signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Corholio wrote:

Destro would be an amazing signing. May have a little too much flair for the PL imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Knew Benteke's leaving was coming, still hurts. And it'll hurt a lot more when he lines out against us wherever he ends up.

Only salve will be a successful replacement but that can be so hit and miss these days.

Still 8 million into 32 million ain't bad business. 1st time in a long time we've had a big money making sale.

'Rumours' of Roma representatives in the UK to discuss selling Mattia Destro and Adam Ljalic to Villa.

I can't believe that cos it would simply be too good to be true. That said it is exactly the type of place Villa need to be looking for a Benteke replacement. Upfront all I've seen us linked to is 31yr old Adebayor and potentially entering a bidding war with several others for Austin who could cost more than 15m.

Happy to hear that about Gil although I did immediately think thats not good news as it would mean Praet / whatever other AMs would be a no go for Villa.

Rumours that Amavi signs tomorrow although Gueye took a week longer than they said so who knows.

If it was between Utd & Pool for Benteke i'd like him to go to Utd as I think we'd have a better chance at getting points against Pool, no other reason.

And yeah like others have said in no way is it good to see Benteke leaving but I think we all saw it coming and 32.5m is a really good price for him in fairness. Although I believe Genk get around 4m of that.

If we get either of Destro or Ljalic i'll be loving it especially with Amavi and maybe another 1/2 signings (think Tim said he wanted 4/5) in. Sherwood also wants to get rid of a few more but I think its hard for him to get people to take people like Tonev or J.Cole for example considering the wages they are on at Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Just to play Devil's advocate...

Villa paid around £7m and will received £32.5m; 15% sell-on clause (if this is true) gives his former club £3.8m, leaving the profit on the sale as £21.7m.

So for a little under £22m, we are waving goodbye to 15-20 league goals per season for the next two seasons (when his contract runs out). In the last 2 seasons we have scored 31 and 39 league goals in total.

£55m per year TV money very quickly eclipses that £22m.

The debate about what to do with a player who wants to leave doesn't really have a definitive answer. I'm just looking at those figures and starting to think that selling may not be the best option, if you have a proven talent, and if you don't really have a viable alternative source of goals.

problem is we have no choice cos of the release clause that no doubt he wouldn't have signed a new contract without

dobsdave wrote: »
    Where are you seeing about the medical?

Ya apparently that wasn't true, jumped the gun a bit as it was been said on twitter by some. Colley has said he's still in Portugal with the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Just to play Devil's advocate...

Villa paid around £7m and will received £32.5m; 15% sell-on clause (if this is true) gives his former club £3.8m, leaving the profit on the sale as £21.7m.

So for a little under £22m, we are waving goodbye to 15-20 league goals per season for the next two seasons (when his contract runs out). In the last 2 seasons we have scored 31 and 39 league goals in total.

£55m per year TV money very quickly eclipses that £22m.

The debate about what to do with a player who wants to leave doesn't really have a definitive answer. I'm just looking at those figures and starting to think that selling may not be the best option, if you have a proven talent, and if you don't really have a viable alternative source of goals.

you are ignoring that we've had his services for the last 3 seasons, in which he has been instrumental in us staying up. So that's a cost benefit there.

Mainly though, we've no choice in this. It's not as if the club want to sell, they simply can't stop it.

I take the point that less than 20 mill for 15-20 goals is cheap but if he wants to go we can't really stop him. It's often threatened but how often do we see a wantaway player left in the reserves for any prolonged period not very much it doesn't make sense for anyone.

The problem for Villa is that we have relied too heavily Benteke, the return from the rest of the team has been poor. Delph arguably our 2nd best player and I know he's not a striker and has been injured but 3 goals in six PL seasons?

Could you imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Is anyone else worried about the lack of links to center backs?

I know we got Richards and people are saying that he will be playing there but I really think we need one more good experienced CB. We now have Clark, Okore, Senderos, Baker, Richards which on paper having 5 for the position is fine but Baker and Senderos can have fitness issues and Richards is unproven in the area.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement