Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

LeBash wrote: »
    I'm not that old. The first win we got against utd in my time was 95 I think. 3-1 draper scored that day. First game of the season as well!

It turned out you could win stuff with kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm not that old. The first win we got against utd in my time was 95 I think. 3-1 draper scored that day. First game of the season as well!

Remember it well. I also remember a 0-0 draw in Old Trafford some time before that.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Patser

Interesting to hear Newstalk this morning explaining the Friday match is a special case at Police request. I'd thought it was something to do with the new TV deals, but in fact there's a big English Defence League match in Walsall tomorrow and police don't want their efforts stretched. Utd delighted with switch as gives them more time before Champions League game - hopefully they've one eye on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Patser wrote: »
    I'd thought it was something to do with the new TV deals.
    Those new TV deals start from next season and there'll be 10 games on Fridays a season. The villa game would normally have been moved to Sunday but I suspect it was moved to Friday as a nice "test run" for SkySports.

Traore Signs 5 year deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Well this surprised me (in a very good way)
    TRANSFER NEWS: Huge welcome to our new signing Adama Traore.
    Adama joins us on a five year deal from FC Barcelona.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Patser

Those new TV deals start from next season and there'll be 10 games on Fridays a season. The villa game would normally have been moved to Sunday but I suspect it was moved to Friday as a nice "test run" for SkySports.

Traore Signs 5 year deal

As said, don't think they could move it to Sunday due to Utd's Champion league game.

Great news on Traore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Traore Signs 5 year deal

It was moved to Friday because of an English Defence League march in Walsall nearby on Saturday.

Great news about Traore looks a very exciting player. A buyback clause that lasts 3 years and Barca have first refusal if Villa decide to sell him. I don't mind that too much though, if there's interest on taking him back it means he'll have been really good for Villa.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'd be curious how high the trigger is on the buy back clause but otherwise I have no issue with it for the reasons you've said. Like that it is (like a lot of the contracts they got players to sign recently) a 5 year deal too. Assume he will be unveiled to the crowd at half time tonight.

So much potential in the Villa side atm with players like him, Veretout, Grealish etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

How much gametime is Traore likely to see this season? He's still young isn't he? 19?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Has the team for tonight's defeat been announced?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'd say he will start from the bench and maybe be rotating with Sinclair while Ayew and Grealish fight it out for the other WF slot.

quality coompetition for places with players who are young and hungry to improve and prove themselves... Noice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Villa with 5 Nil victory tonight.

The Barca of the EPL.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Traore squad number 20 that leaves number 10 shirt still idol, so watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭chases0102

Rudy on bench, along with Kozak

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Unchanged from Bournemouth. Which is not a good thing IMO.

Is this one of those games we have to post in the match thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Amavi looks to be the best by far of the newbies. Really impressive. Not so sure about Ayew-he just seems to be going backwards all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭LeBash

Amavi looks to be the best by far of the newbies. Really impressive. Not so sure about Ayew-he just seems to be going backwards all the time.

I like Ayew. I'm 32, can't run and am useless with a football. When I see Ayew play professionally I still have hope of making it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Gana really seems to have faded after the first 25 mins.
    I thought Sinclair was playing well so can't figure out why he was subbed over Ayew.

Not a bad result but how badly do we need a Mata like player. Those passes to Depay and Jacuzzi!

Bloody hell Ayew was the worst player in the first game, but he surpassed that tonight. Amavi again excellent bar one or two sloppy balls. We were poor again though, against a poor side. Bournemouth were actually better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The defence actually looked solid enough which is saying something considering how fragile they were in recent seasons. There seems to be a lot ball winners as well. The problem is in the other end though and actually doing something with it. Not one chance in the game is disappointing. Hopefully Traore can be of benefit in that area.

The defence actually looked solid enough which is saying something considering how fragile they were in recent seasons. There seems to be a lot ball winners as well. The problem is in the other end though and actually doing something with it. Not one chance in the game in disappointing. Hopefully Traore can be of benefit in that area.

There were a few instances of the defense not knowing where to stand. Big question of leadership from Richards there.

Doodee wrote: »
    There were a few instances of the defense not knowing where to stand. Big question of leadership from Richards there.

Thought he was at fault for the goal. No need to dive in.

Thought he was at fault for the goal. No need to dive in.

Richards was reacting to Gueye not following a runner. I thought him and Clark were good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Most of the problems with the defence seemed to happen when trying to play offside. Hopefully they will get better at keeping a line with more experience together.

Richards was reacting to Gueye not following a runner. I thought him and Clark were good

Gueye was at fault too. Overall he was good, but a bit rash for the goal. The United lad was going nowhere.

Disappointed to lose but unlike most of the times we play Utd, we didn't look miles out of our depth.

Gueye looks a beast. Clearly not used to PL pace but that will come. Played really well but missed a couple of passes under pressure. Nothing new for a Villa player. Amavi was good again. Veretout was poor though.

Would have like a 5 min appearance by Kozak. He deserves it after the amount of time he's been out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

Utd did just about enough to win. stating the obvious but we did look like a group of players who hadn't been together very long. We weren't completely humiliated and ten more games will tell a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,654 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Approx 50 million spent on attacking players and Gabby still gets 90 minutes impersonating a Premier League player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I thought Sanchez was a positive when he came on. He will eventually play his way back in to the XI. Amavi was excellent, and I also thought Gueye, Clark and Bacuna had a good game. Westwood was OK too.

But having said that...

Ayew seems to be.... to put this politely... ****ing dreadful.
    Gabby continues to do the same things that have irritated the **** out of us for his entire career.
    I worry Gestede may be a tiny bit one-dimensional and lack the full skillset to be leading the line.

Still a lot to wait and see but there are serious improvements needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Right. F*ck this. I'm going on the record here. I was prepared to cut the manager some slack before the game tonight. Let the players settle and all that. That's gone.

Tim Sherwood is a w*nker. I was prepared to give him a chance. I now think he's full of shyte.

That was as pathetic a home performance as you'll see this year. We were afraid of a mediocre Manchester United side. If Sherwood sent his players out to get something in the second half we may very well have got something. We did neither.

To my mind the next 4 games will have a significant bearing on this seasons prospects.

I think 6 points is a fair expectation. However, on the evidence of what we've seen so far I have no belief in the team anymore. Two home wins will keep us afloat.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG PLAYERS AND STAFF.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I thought Sanchez was a positive when he came on. He will eventually play his way back in to the XI. Amavi was excellent, and I also thought Gueye, Clark and Bacuna had a good game. Westwood was OK too.

But having said that...

Ayew seems to be
    .... to put this politely... ****ing dreadful.
    Gabby continues to do the same things that have irritated the **** out of us for his entire career.
    I worry Gestede may be a tiny bit one-dimensional and lack the full skillset to be leading the line.

Still a lot to wait and see but there are serious improvements needed.

Even his dive was bad.

matrim wrote: »
    Most of the problems with the defence seemed to happen when trying to play offside. Hopefully they will get better at keeping a line with more experience together.

If a defence want to play offside, Why wouldn't it be practiced? Particularly when you consider that the back four haven't played together much (at all).

What I mean is don't play offside until you've worked on it

Right. F*ck this. I'm going on the record here. I was prepared to cut the manager some slack before the game tonight. Let the players settle and all that. That's gone.

Tim Sherwood is a w*nker. I was prepared to give him a chance. I now think he's full of shyte.

That was as pathetic a home performance as you'll see this year. We were afraid of a mediocre Manchester United side. If Sherwood sent his players out to get something in the second half we may very well have got something. We did neither.

To my mind the next 4 games will have a significant bearing on this seasons prospects.

I think 6 points is a fair expectation. However, on the evidence of what we've seen so far I have no belief in the team anymore. Two home wins will keep us afloat.

I'm on board with you. I don't like Tim Sherwood and I'll go on record now of saying it.

However I do have hope for the season. But that hope is of staying up. Which in my opinion is not good enough considering the money spent.

We were ****e tonight and we were ****e last Saturday. There's still more problems than solutions.

I'm on board with you. I don't like Tim Sherwood and I'll go on record now of saying it.

However I do have hope for the season. But that hope is of staying up. Which in my opinion is not good enough considering the money spent.

We were ****e tonight and we were ****e last Saturday. There's still more problems than solutions.

3 points from these 2 games was always a good expectation. I don't know what both your problem with Sherwood is but it's ridiculous.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Approx 50 million spent on attacking players and Gabby still gets 90 minutes impersonating a Premier League player.

When that cross from Amavi went in and both Atew and Gabby were standing close to the near post my mind wandered to pre season and Kozak being in the right place to tap the ball in from the far post run he made.

Really could not understand why Sinclair was subbed. He was causing Utd trouble with his runs and with his passing. The through ball to Amavi mentioned above an example.

I really hope Gil or Grealish are back for next week as we are badly in need of their sparks of creativity.

Also, why are Villa disliked so much by other supporters? Seen some comments about the Traore transfer and they seem rather harsh. No loss to the league stung a little :(

When that cross from Amavi went in and both Atew and Gabby were standing close to the near post my mind wandered to pre season and Kozak being in the right place to tap the ball in from the far post run he made.

Really could not understand why Sinclair was subbed. He was causing Utd trouble with his runs and with his passing. The through ball to Amavi mentioned above an example.

I really hope Gil or Grealish are back for next week as we are badly in need of their sparks of creativity.

Also, why are Villa disliked so much by other supporters? Seen some comments about the Traore transfer and they seem rather harsh. No loss to the league stung a little :(
    I was at it and thought the performance lacked something too but it still wasn't terrible. Sherwood just needs to sell Gabby, get Ayew to get going or drop him, and that'll be a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Possibly because we've been flirting with relegation for 4 years and have been playing some really poor and boring football

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

Tend to disagree after Hull last season we took a chance on Sherwood and all of us would have grabbed 17th place with both hands.

Even if we'd got rid of TS after last season I don't think there would be many better options for a manager gladly listen to opinions.

He recognised and acknowledged the inherent losing mentality, poor performances at the end of last season and acted on it.

Again we've trusted him to put together his own team together and even if this year is insipid, boring and were not in a relegation fight it's still an improvement, we were going down under Lambert and things aren't going to change over night.

I was at the match last night and though the end result losing to Utd was the same, there was definitely a bit more character about the team. A bit more fight and commitment we didn't roll over. Grealish and Gil will give us more creativity in midfield and hopefully Traore can fulfil his potential.

It could go either way with TS but I think he has to be given the chance 10 games at least for me before we can make any judgement.

He's bought 10 players and cleared out a lot of rubbish. His hands were tied on the sale of the 2 best players at the club. Give the lad and new players time. If it doesn't work out we get rid of him but 2 games into his first ever season with a transfer window is nowhere near enough time to judge.

Some Villa fans drive me mad. What they expect is way beyond what is a reality. Give me 12th this season and ill be delighted with massive progress.

• Advertisement

Any criticism of Sherwood beyond mild constructive criticism is ridiculous.

matrim wrote: »
    Possibly because we've been flirting with relegation for 4 years and have been playing some really poor and boring football

But it also suggests that people are not that impressed with the players that were brought in. Is the optimism only with the Villa faithful?
    We view it as a total over haul of the team whereas most others view it as same old Villa.

He's bought 10 players and cleared out a lot of rubbish. His hands were tied on the sale of the 2 best players at the club. Give the lad and new players time. If it doesn't work out we get rid of him but 2 games into his first ever season with a transfer window is nowhere near enough time to judge.

Some Villa fans drive me mad. What they expect is way beyond what is a reality. Give me 12th this season and ill be delighted with massive progress.

I'm not necessarily basing this on the two games this season.

The 6-1 defeat away to Southampton was the game that made me think he was a bit of a chancer.

12th will be massive progress. However, given the Starting point anything above17th will be considered progress.

CSF wrote: »
    Any criticism of Sherwood beyond mild constructive criticism is ridiculous.

No it isn't. If you don't like it then tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

No it isn't. If you don't like it then tough.

It really is.

Agreed. But in the interests of fairness we should give the new players time to bed in. But how long do you give them?

JPA wrote: »
    It really is.

He's there 6 months. How much time does he need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Agreed. But in the interests of fairness we should give the new players time to bed in. But how long do you give them?

Several months.

JPA wrote: »
    Several months.

Which we wont have

I expect us not to be shyte. What exactly is wrong with that?

Is this "beyond reality"

I just expect them to compete in (not win) every game they play in the league.

This is something they haven't done for 5 years

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement