Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to join the Irish Coast Guard Search and Rescue?

Options
  • 24-07-2014 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

I'm 17 Irish and I'm a qualified Ocean lifeguard, ad soon to be pool lifeguard, I'm also qualified in CPR and I am also qualified to use an AED .

I've been thinking of joining the emergency services and this is the route I'd like to take...but I don't know how to join it!
    I know there are many jobs within the Coastgaurd but the one I want is the Searh and Rescue, I want to be the guy who drops from the helicopter to get To the person in distress, I don't want to be behind the scenes or watching the action..

How can I get into the Irish Coastgaurd SAR?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Torpedo

Seanf999 wrote: »
    I'm 17 Irish and I'm a qualified Ocean lifeguard, ad soon to be pool lifeguard, I'm also qualified in CPR and I am also qualified to use an AED .

I've been thinking of joining the emergency services and this is the route I'd like to take...but I don't know how to join it!
    I know there are many jobs within the Coastgaurd but the one I want is the Searh and Rescue, I want to be the guy who drops from the helicopter to get To the person in distress, I don't want to be behind the scenes or watching the action..

You'll have to go behind the scenes and study to become a paramedic first which means getting a job with HSE/DFB. Long road ahead, massive competition with very few places.

Would also suggest doing some research into the company that has the contract to provide the service to the Coast Guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

Would also suggest doing some research into the company that has the contract to provide the service to the Coast Guard.[/quote]

And what company is that? I don't know much about the coast guard other then what I know about the American Coast guard...(the guardians an amazing film!)
    Thanks for the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

In short at that age you won't.
    There requirements firstly are you must be a paramedic or at least a emt mist of these guys are ex air corps or raf who have also being a qualified helicopter crewman. They have be a qualified which op well before the joined the coastguard.
    It's a very closed group of people and seems to be who you know more so. I know quite a few of the sar guys and the pilots but as for trying to get in with no qualifications it's not Gona happen very sorry to burst ur bubble but that's the truth.

If u Wana start somewhere maybe go for the air corps then go to the helicopter unit become a crew man then do a sar course become a paramedic and then maybe you could apply.

On the other side while the guardian is a amazing film it's not always like that and the coast guard in ireland operates different. But if it's the job u want the advice I've given is where u should start but let me tell you this there might only be one spot to fill every few years anyways onwards and upwards

burke027 wrote: »
    In short at that age you won't.
    There requirements firstly are you must be a paramedic or at least a emt mist of these guys are ex air corps or raf who have also being a qualified helicopter crewman. They have be a qualified which op well before the joined the coastguard.
    It's a very closed group of people and seems to be who you know more so. I know quite a few of the sar guys and the pilots but as for trying to get in with no qualifications it's not Gona happen very sorry to burst ur bubble but that's the truth.

If u Wana start somewhere maybe go for the air corps then go to the helicopter unit become a crew man then do a sar course become a paramedic and then maybe you could apply.

On the other side while the guardian is a amazing film it's not always like that and the coast guard in ireland operates different. But if it's the job u want the advice I've given is where u should start but let me tell you this there might only be one spot to fill every few years anyways onwards and upwards

I do plan on getting some qualification and I had hoped to make my way into the sas (my mothers side is entirely English so I qualify as far as I know) but I can't due to having asthma which never affects me.
    What age do most coast guards get in because with this needed experience it seems to be mid 30s if not later...

I do plan on getting some qualification and I had hoped to make my way into the sas (my mothers side is entirely English so I qualify as far as I know) but I can't due to having asthma which never affects me.
    What age do most coast guards get in because with this needed experience it seems to be mid 30s if not later...

did u read n e thing I wrote by the way. Anyways I'm sure looking to join the sas
    Will be fun how old are you because you need to really start learning about stuff it's not like the movies whatsoever.
    take that from someone who's being overseas as a soldier and secondly has all those courses you mentioned including being a winch man/ winch op. Il put it this way and I'm 30 so you have a long way to go

• Advertisement

did u read n e thing I wrote by the way. Anyways I'm sure looking to join the sas
    Will be fun how old are you because you need to really start learning about stuff it's not like the movies whatsoever.
    take that from someone who's being overseas as a soldier and secondly has all those courses you mentioned including being a winch man/ winch op. Il put it this way and I'm 30 so you have a long way to go

Yes I did, I do have a long way to go as I've a lot to learn, and that's why I asked the question, to learn I don't know much about it but I do know it's not like the movie , but the basic idea is similar just not as blown up...

I'm trying to get myself into good enough shape, I don't know much about this but I know I don't want a boring repetitive job...

Could you give me some info on becoming a irish Coast guard...
    Thanks I really do appreciate it

Yes I did, I do have a long way to go as I've a lot to learn, and that's why I asked the question, to learn I don't know much about it but I do know it's not like the movie , but the basic idea is similar just not as blown up...

I'm trying to get myself into good enough shape, I don't know much about this but I know I don't want a boring repetitive job...

Could you give me some info on becoming a irish Coast guard...
    Thanks I really do appreciate it

I gave it all to you.
    You can't just walk into the coast guard it doesn't happen like that. Have you ever being in a helicopter let alone winched down out of one.
    Have you ever swam 5k in the sea not a pool.
    Do you have the money to pay to become a emt and then a paramedic. Start there

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Rescue117

First and foremost you do not need to be ex-military.
    You do need to be a Paramedic. Our latest recruits are ex HSE, DFB etc.
    The company that operates the contract is CHC and we train you to be a winchman.
    No reason it can't be you in the future. Good luck !!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Perhaps if you live near the coast, you might think about joining the RNLI to get some coast rescue experience up. The path to paramedic should definitely start with some rescue voluntary organisation like Civil Defence or Order of Malta.

Rescue117 wrote: »
    The company that operates the contract is CHC and we train you to be a winchman.

No one said they needed to be ex military what was said that a lot of the guys that started out with chc where ex air corps. This is correct isn't it?? And the rest was that becoming a helicopter crewman and then winch man would give him a good bases before looking for chc as the air corps does train all there crew men to emt standard as a minimum.
    Either way I wish the guy all the best but it is a long road ahead and considering he keeps taking about films I'm sure when he comes across it in real life it might be different

• Advertisement

No one said they needed to be ex military what was said that a lot of the guys that started out with chc where ex air corps. This is correct isn't it?? And the rest was that becoming a helicopter crewman and then winch man would give him a good bases before looking for chc as the air corps does train all there crew men to emt standard as a minimum.
    Either way I wish the guy all the best but it is a long road ahead and considering he keeps taking about films I'm sure when he comes across it in real life it might be different

I know it is different from the films but being that I've never been with the coast guard I don't know how it all works, I've the basics but that's it, i plan on learning it doe just need to find it first.

Also I know it's a long road and that it's no easy task but I was asking how to get there so I can one day get there I'd rather not leave it to chance.

Thanks for the answers doe!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 smokie32

Rescue117 wrote: »

Where do these winch op/aircrew positions be normally advertised? CHC, Irish Coast Guard or other method?
    Currently awaiting paramedic training and would love to work towards SAR aircrew?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Torpedo

Your best bet if you're very serious is along with going the para route is to join one of the Coast Guard volunteer stations. You'll get to understand how the CG works and probably get to interact with the Heli crews via medevacs and school visits. The busier stations have waiting lists so not easy to get into either but if you've EMT level it will be a big help.

Advertisement