Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay Rise?

Options
  • 24-07-2014 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi

I work as a Care Assistant in a Nursing Home and I am in my job 4 years. About 3 months after I started, there was a 5% pay cut for all staff across the board.

We were told when all beds were full again, we would get our 5% back. The home has been full 10 times over and still nothing? It is actually full at the moment.

We had our Performance Appraisals a couple of weeks ago, and at the end of it, all staff requested a Pay Rise. The person doing the appraisals, does not look after the wages and said she would put it forward. We also had to write it down on our forms. That was about 6 weeks ago. We all feel we deserve one as the work load has certainly increased and we are all working really hard.

There has still been no Pay Rise and no Yes you can have it or No you cant. Would I be entitled to one? Should we ask again?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You have zero entitlement to any pay rise (short of it being in your contract that you're going to get a pay rise every year); making a polite push about it and highlighting the previous promise and the increased workload how ever could work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nauny06 wrote: »
    Hi

I work as a Care Assistant in a Nursing Home and I am in my job 4 years. About 3 months after I started, there was a 5% pay cut for all staff across the board.

We were told when all beds were full again, we would get our 5% back. The home has been full 10 times over and still nothing? It is actually full at the moment.

We had our Performance Appraisals a couple of weeks ago, and at the end of it, all staff requested a Pay Rise. The person doing the appraisals, does not look after the wages and said she would put it forward. We also had to write it down on our forms. That was about 6 weeks ago. We all feel we deserve one as the work load has certainly increased and we are all working really hard.

There has still been no Pay Rise and no Yes you can have it or No you cant. Would I be entitled to one? Should we ask again?

Thanks

Would you be entitled to one ??... NO
    But ye could make a point of drafting a letter, signed by all staff and bring it to management, detailing the deal that was made and current situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Are all staff on the same rate for the same work, or is it possible for some people to be on a higher rate?
    Why not look after yourself and see if you can get a payrise without trying to get across-the-board payrises for all staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Nauny06

tenifan wrote: »
    Are all staff on the same rate for the same work, or is it possible for some people to be on a higher rate?
    Why not look after yourself and see if you can get a payrise without trying to get across-the-board payrises for all staff?

Some other staff members who do the same job are on a much higher rate than us. They would be there a few years longer though. Still at least €2 in the difference minimum between mine and some of theirs.

Might just say it myself and see how I get on. Worst they can say is no I suppose. Would be nice for a small increase though. Even just the 5% back.

Thanks for all replies

Advertisement