Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help with lapop

Options
  • 24-07-2014 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Hiya, i have a Hewlet Packard laptop. last month it wudnt cum on properly so i took to a repair guy and he had to wipe everything on it. i got it back and it was working fine. i spent ages typing up my wedding mass book then yesterday i cud not get into Microsoft office, saying i need to activate it. i put i the numbers but said it was invalid.
    So i rang microsoft and got through to a guy in the Philipinnes, he was looking for my credit card details for a new office package, thing is i was wary of scams that i heard where they pretend they are from HP etc and clean ur account. i didnt give any details. Is it normal that i dont get through to dublin or London.
    what can i do to get Microsoft office up and running again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

What numbers did you put in, was it for a version of Office?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

The person who repaired it may have installed a hactivated version of Office which is now being reported as invalid, thus the activation request.

For now, I suggest you get back in touch with the repair shop about this and you can view your wedding document in Google Docs below:.

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2424368?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Thanks for the replys, il get on to the repair guy first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

+1 for Google Docs as an alternative in this case. Has a great spell checker.

You could also use the free Microsoft Word online (you'll need a MS account...free to register).

https://office.live.com/start/Word.aspx?omkt=en-GB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I wouldnt bother shelling out for MS Office at all, Google Docs is grand but something like Libre Office does everything that Office does.

http://www.libreoffice.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 16 papertales

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I wouldnt bother shelling out for MS Office at all, Google Docs is grand but something like Libre Office does everything that Office does.

LibreOffice is a nice alternative. Also Abiword for Word documents and Gnumeric for Excel.

I cannot put links because I'm a new user. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Open office is, again, another free alternative and will open (and save) in microsoft office formats.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

And the thread turns into yet another “best alternative to MS Office” :D

OP there are a couple of possibilities here but you should not have to buy a new licence if you had one before.

If you had MS Office legally purchased and installed before your HHD was wiped then all you need to do is enter the key. You may have to do this by phone but as long as you call the number on the Microsoft website it is not going to be a scam.

The only way Microsoft would be looking for your credit card is if they were trying to sell you an O365 subscription or a similar software package. If this was the case you called the wrong Microsoft number. You want the number to activate an existing licence.

Another possibility is that the repair guy installed a different version of Office to the one you had before. In such a case it probably was a 30-day trial version. The key you entered isn’t for this version hence it won’t work and it directs you to purchase one. If this is the case uninstall the current version and install your original version.

I guess the final option is that you didn’t have Office on the laptop before and the repair guy installed a trial version for you. In this case either buy a licence / subscription or use one of the alternatives mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

thanks everyone for the replies. the repair guy entered a different code so its up and running again thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Open office is, again, another free alternative and will open (and save) in microsoft office formats.
    OpenOffice isn't as good as Microsoft Office in fairness, its good for a free office suite though. If op bought Office it wouldn't make sense not to use it.
    Henwin wrote: »
    thanks everyone for the replies. the repair guy entered a different code so its up and running again thankfully.
    Did you buy Office? Do you have a license certificate? Sounds like you may have a "dodgy" copy.
    Return to the shop if they sold you the license and request the License certificate with the product key. If not its probably pirated and could become deactivated again

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

yoyo wrote: »
    OpenOffice isn't as good as Microsoft Office in fairness, its good for a free office suite though. If op bought Office it wouldn't make sense not to use it.

Indeed it's not. I wouldn't use calc instead of excel for example. But the price of it is too high for me anyway.

Advertisement