Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoe wear question

Options
  • 24-07-2014 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

Two areas of wear only. In circles below. Anyone know what this means? #yesLookingAtYou

shoe_small.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    Two areas of wear only. In circles below. Anyone know what this means? #yesLookingAtYou

shoe_small.png

A complex question such as this can always be answered with new shoes!!

Area 1 The Heel - normal contact area. In new shoes this is tapered to allow the grounding of the heel at the open angle of the hip.

As you foot swings through your toes naturally swing to point outwards of the body line (so you don't belt them off the ground) so you will land on this area. I'd say you are scuffing a little bit as you land, but wouldn't worry too much about it.

Side note - women generally have a wider hip angle so their shoes are more tapered than men 'Genetic Engineering'

Area 2 - forefoot. You're doing it right. landing outside the heel driving through the middle of the foot and pushing off the base of the big toes. A small bit of rotation or a big propulsoin will scuff these areas most.

Warning!!

Be careful of excessive outer heel wear though as your foot with 'torque' increasingly agressively as you go heel to toe which could lead to issues with the stabilising muscles of the leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

AKW wrote: »
    so you will land on this area. I'd say you are scuffing a little bit as you land, but wouldn't worry too much about it.

Can you elaborate on this please?
    AKW wrote: »
    Be careful of excessive outer heel wear though as your foot with 'torque' increasingly agressively as you go heel to toe which could lead to issues with the stabilising muscles of the leg.

And this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Also knowing this shoe and seeing the wear - what would you put me in?

Can you elaborate on this please?

I wouldn't worry about it - as in by your own admission you are carrying a little weight so you are not at optimum form, weight or fitness. By recent results you have shown where your potential is so in the short term don't worry about it, I'll elaborate further below.
    And this please?

Think of a flat spot in a car tyre caused by sudden breaking. The more you wear the outside of the heel the more of a 'flip' there is for you to bear fully on the shoe before rotating onto the forefoot.

It is self perpetuating the further you wear the heel the more aggressive the rotation and the liklihood of injury. I'll see if I can do a pic of this.

Also knowing this shoe and seeing the wear - what would you put me in?

Goes a lot more than this.

We regularly chat about the different shoes and as such I have a mental profile of your running and how you react to the various shoes you have used over the years. Also discussing the potential causes of your injuries and likely effect shoes have had on this I think your sweet spot is in the 6-8mm heel to toe drop shoe as your main training shoe.

For tempo work and racing you probably will get away fine with 3-5mm shoes depending on fitness, weight and planned race pace. (You remember my blog post about my own thoughts of shoes, drops, speed and cadence?)

I reckon the Saucony Ride 7 or New Balance 1080 should be ideal for you. Not overly cushioned, responsive and decent enough for the mileage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Ok so reading the wear on the ‘soul’ of a runner is surprisingly identical to palm reading;). Palm/runner sole reading is similar in the sense that there are four major lines or wear spots. They are:
    • The heart line
    • The head line
    • The life line
    • The fate line (not everybody has this line).
    Since you have only pointed out two major wear spots I can only read these. They are the heart line and the head line. As so accurately pointed out by you in the diagram, the heart line is situated at the ball of the foot. Your heart line is straight and unwavering which indicates someone who has a good handle on their emotions.
    The head line indicates that you think realistically. Also as the line is short this indicates that you prefer physical achievements over mental ones.
    Surprisingly the fact that you put your right foot forward indicates that you always try to do your best!!!!!
    I apologise for being unable to read the life and fate line but maybe someone else can do help.

Ok so reading the wear on the ‘soul’ of a runner is surprisingly identical to palm reading;). Palm/runner sole reading is similar in the sense that there are four major lines or wear spots. They are:
    • The heart line
    • The head line
    • The life line
    • The fate line (not everybody has this line).
    Since you have only pointed out two major wear spots I can only read these. They are the heart line and the head line. As so accurately pointed out by you in the diagram, the heart line is situated at the ball of the foot. Your heart line is straight and unwavering which indicates someone who has a good handle on their emotions.
    The head line indicates that you think realistically. Also as the line is short this indicates that you prefer physical achievements over mental ones.
    Surprisingly the fact that you put your right foot forward indicates that you always try to do your best!!!!!
    I apologise for being unable to read the life and fate line but maybe someone else can do help.

That's brilliant!! Do you mind if I use that the next time someone asks me to look at the wear on their shoes? :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

he'd probably do a lot better if he put his left foot forward the odd time too, especially during the run?

:D

Advertisement