Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Business Analyst course

Options
  • 24-07-2014 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, just looking into getting some business analysis qualifications and am looking for advice on whether to go for the Cert course from the National College of Ireland or go for the modular ISEB diploma, which various companies provide training for? I have been performing some business analysis functions in the company I work with for a number of years without it being my main role. I would like to up my skills to allow me to do BA as a full time job. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jack Sawyer

Anyone out there offer any advice - I'm currently researching this one too.....

OP could you please describe how you see a full time BA 40 hour week (on average) going? In your exp is it a rewarding, varied, challenging job with a bright future and lots of opportunities or a tough slog, bleary eyed querying massive excel worksheets until you pass out at your desk from bored frustration?!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

With so many well-qualified people looking for work Certs are not worth much as a 'qualification'; diplomas are one step better, but best to have a degree. Do the diploma, see if you really like/are prepared to hack the work for it and then the knowledge you acquire will be useful when you start your degree. Too many entities hype up their own programs, don't be taken in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RobSR

Anyone out there offer any advice - I'm currently researching this one too.....

OP could you please describe how you see a full time BA 40 hour week (on average) going? In your exp is it a rewarding, varied, challenging job with a bright future and lots of opportunities or a tough slog, bleary eyed querying massive excel worksheets until you pass out at your desk from bored frustration?!?!?

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I would see it as all the positives you mentioned. Every job will have its boring bits and to be honest I don't mind a bit of hard work if I enjoy doing it. The reason I am looking into this is because I enjoy the BA work I already do and probably hoping that a course of some sort will give me a further insight as to whether I would really like it full time. In my current job there is scope for me to increase my BA work so I am hoping they will fund or at least part fund any further education.

With so many well-qualified people looking for work Certs are not worth much as a 'qualification'; diplomas are one step better, but best to have a degree. Do the diploma, see if you really like/are prepared to hack the work for it and then the knowledge you acquire will be useful when you start your degree. Too many entities hype up their own programs, don't be taken in.

Thanks for the advise, I totally agree with you. As it happens, I do have a degree in IT, so looking at this as an add on to that along with a few other certs and diplomas I have. Looking at again, I think the modular diploma is probably my best bet. I can dip my toe in the water with the foundation course, see if I like it, and if not, at least I haven't committed both time and finances to something I decide isn't for me. The research I have done so far would suggest I would like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Personally I would do the ISEB Foundation Cert in Business Analysis, study the course book and sit a multiple choice exam, once you have that you can move on to the more advanced business analysis courses. Personally Id avoid courses from places like National College of Ireland because its just a course and not an official certication from a professional body which is much more recognised.

• Advertisement

pauliebdub wrote: »
    Personally I would do the ISEB Foundation Cert in Business Analysis, study the course book and sit a multiple choice exam, once you have that you can move on to the more advanced business analysis courses. Personally Id avoid courses from places like National College of Ireland because its just a course and not an official certication from a professional body which is much more recognised.

Thank you for that. What you say makes a lot of sense and confirms what I was probably thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

pauliebdub wrote: »

Is the course you mentioned above the BCS one? What is the study book for this?

I had been looking at NCI, but you do make a good point

Advertisement