Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thermostat in 00 Fiesta lx Zetec engine

• 24-07-2014 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

my girlfriends car (an 00 fiesta lx) started overheating yesterday and the air con stopped working. I looked over the car and there were no visible leaks and the radiator fan is coming on so I suspect that it might be the thermostat. Then problem is that on this car the alternator has to removed to get access to the thermostat housing (which is just stupid). So is there any way I can be sure its the thermostat thats the problem before removing it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

You could check its not anything else causing the over heating. Look for coolant leaks, burst or loose hoses, blocked radiator grill etc etc. You could also do a sniff test just to rule out the head gasket. On top of all that get talking to a ford mechanic they might be able to shed some light on the problem. It could even be the water pump. Mechanic might have some insider knowledge that may help you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blackbox

It's a bit suspicious that the air-con gave up at the same time. Are you sure that it is not a belt issue - either failed or slipping?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 wriordan

thanks for the replies

@blackbox the belt is fine I checked that and its not that the air con isn't working its just that the air coming through is hot because of the overheating.

@Luckysasha i've checked all the hoses and that for leaks and am fairly confident its the thermostat not opening but it could also be the water pump as i haven't ruled that out yet i suppose ill just go for it and remove the alternator as ill have to do it if its either the thermostat or waterpump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

You will be able to check the water pump impeller by hand when you have the thermostat out.

Is it overheating when driving or in traffic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭cletus

The heater control valve is a known issue on this car. I know it affects non-ac cars by either blowing only cold or hot air. I don't know the effect it might have on ac, but it can cause overheating too. Its a relatively easy and cheap fix (€20-30 and located up on the bulkhead).

might be worth a look before taking out the alternator

*edit* if you change the hcv, its worth giving the heater matrix a cleaning at the same time

• Advertisement
Advertisement