Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

useful animals

Options
  • 24-07-2014 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Just thinking early of some animals which could be useful in a survival situation?? Have picked a few main ones.

1. Horse: as a pack animal, means of transport. will travel terrain that most 4x4s wouldn't.
    2. dog: security and hunting. Also excellent companions. Alsation, labrador or a lurcher would be the the most useful i would imagine
    3. Hawk: good means of food supply but very difficult to keep.
    4. Ferret: excellent for hunting. Can be fed on leftovers of what it catches.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I have seen on hiking forums the 'pack goat' you have a goat that takes some of your stuff on multiday hikes would not take much to keep and could trim your grass while you wait for the inevitable collapse of society! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

sheesh wrote: »
    I have seen on hiking forums the 'pack goat' you have a goat that takes some of your stuff on multiday hikes would not take much to keep and could trim your grass while you wait for the inevitable collapse of society! :D

Couldn't see them carrying much, uncle rears two lambs off his nanny goat every year… i eat a lot of goat meat.. its very healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tom75

A few hens and a rooster in a cage on a horse. This same with rabbits.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A 'house cow' would be necessary for long term survival, but a goat would do for the short/medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

In a survival situation would swap your horse (or even two of them) for a mule. Generally lower maintenance, healthier, longer lifespan, eats less for similar size and workload and much more surefooted for riding or packing in rough terrain.

A number of goats would be a must. Also relatively low maintenance, a browser rather than grazer. Provide much more milk (which you can also make soap from) than a cow for what you put into it them, cheese and excellent meat.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Guys,

Just thinking early of some animals which could be useful in a survival situation?? Have picked a few main ones.

1. Horse: as a pack animal, means of transport. will travel terrain that most 4x4s wouldn't.
    2. dog: security and hunting. Also excellent companions. Alsation, labrador or a lurcher would be the the most useful i would imagine
    3. Hawk: good means of food supply but very difficult to keep.
    4. Ferret: excellent for hunting. Can be fed on leftovers of what it catches.

it really depends on what type of horse some breeds are much higher maintenance than others, a heavy cob would be best imo

it really depends on what type of horse some breeds are much higher maintenance than others, a heavy cob would be best imo

I have a excellent heavy cob broken to ride drive… could let a bomb off underneath her!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I have a excellent heavy cob broken to ride drive… could let a bomb off underneath her!!

I have a 3/4 bred trotter great for a run, a lovely horse to ride but needs much more upkeep than anything ive ever had.
    I plan on getting a good driving cob in a year or 2

i have an excellent one for sale now for very handy money ;) i need the room and want to keep the hunter as the other cob will never be sold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Human, After peak OIL we will need to bring back Slavery

roman-litter1.jpeg

• Advertisement
Advertisement