Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUBLIN JUNIOR PIKE CHAMPIONSHIPS QUALIFIER

Options
  • 24-07-2014 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

The Dublin Pike Anglers Club will host a qualifying competition of the Junior National Pike Championships on the Royal Canal on Saturday 2nd August. Meet at 10 am at Ashtown Gate for fishing 10.30 to 2.30. Entry to the competition is FREE. Any young angler who catches a pike qualifies to fish in the Final in September. For details of the Dublin qualifier contact Darren Clarke on 0857130347.
    The Junior National Pike Championships is run by the Irish Federation of Pike Angling Clubs and it consists of a number of qualifying competitions and a Final. Clubs host qualifiers where youngsters can enter free of charge and if the catch a pike they are through to fish in the Final which is usually held on the last Saturday in August or the first Saturday in September. Entrants do not have to be a member of an affiliated club, It is open to all. There are 2 sections Under 13 and Under 18. At qualifiers there will be trophies for the top 3 anglers in each Section. In the Final there will be around €2,000 worth of tackle prizes to be presented along with a Cup for the winner of each Section.
    We would love to hear from any club who would like to host a junior qualifier. For full details contact the Federations Youth Officer Brendan O`Reilly on 0866010272

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭zombiekiller

I will be contacting the phone number.But will the kids be given a designated peg rather than spinning up and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

I will be contacting the phone number.But will the kids be given a designated peg rather than spinning up and down.
    They will be able to fish anywhere on the stretch and wander around.

ashtown to castleknock or to cabra

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Is Godfrey still part of the pike anglers?

what club is he from

• Advertisement

what club is he from

Last time I fished with her he was one of the main lads and a captain of the dublin pike anglers.

Last time I fished with her he was one of the main lads and a captain of the dublin pike anglers.

Godfrey is currently Chairman of the Dublin Pike Anglers Club. I am not sure exactly what stretch will be fished.

No bother im from the area but not in any clubs but me and my lad will defo be there sounds great..

jkchambers wrote: »
    Godfrey is currently Chairman of the Dublin Pike Anglers Club. I am not sure exactly what stretch will be fished.

Must get in touch with him and see about joining. Sound lad and real helpful when it comes to fishing.

Must get in touch with him and see about joining. Sound lad and real helpful when it comes to fishing.
    Do you have his number ? If you dont I can PM it to you.

• Advertisement

No bother im from the area but not in any clubs but me and my lad will defo be there sounds great..
    Would your lad be in the Under 13 section or Under 18 ?
    In the Under 13 sections adults can help somewhat. Some very young anglers compete and you can cast for them and hand them the rod to retrieve . If they hook a reasonable sized pike you can held them get it in. We want to try to get as many youngsters involved as possible and dont want to make things difficult. When a youngster catches a pike its great to see the others running up to get a look. Over the last few years around 30% of entrants are girls, especially in the Under 13 group.
    There will be more Junior qualifiers held around the country in August. If your club would like to host one we will give every assistance and the club dosent have to be affiliated to the Irish Federation of Pike Angling Clubs

Do you have his number ? If you dont I can PM it to you.

Yeah could you pm me please
    Very helpful thank you

He is six and hes fishing mad and only caught his first pike on the suck two weeks ago. i caught my first fish the week before i was invited to a club competition through a freind in work and won it with a 14lb and a 3Lb. Brilliant day.

https://imageshack.com/i/n6qjoxtj

https://imageshack.com/i/nrfi1nj

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

I live in Ashtown, so I can drop down if you are stuck for people to help out on the day.

Yeah could you pm me please
    Very helpful thank you

sent

Just fished the ashtown to castleknock stretch with not a bite. Its very weedy specially for the kid castin.

sent

Thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Just fished the ashtown to castleknock stretch with not a bite. Its very weedy specially for the kid castin.

You're doing it wrong ! :pac:

Did you fish it at night Zombie ?
    That stretch of canal would really benefit from regular boat traffic to keep the weed moving.

Nah deadbaiting then spinning with the smelt. Then i thought the smelt mite be too big so put on a small lure and not a tiddle. but the weed was a big factor couldnt get it into the right areas.

fiacha wrote: »
    You're doing it wrong ! :pac:

Did you fish it at night Zombie ?
    That stretch of canal would really benefit from regular boat traffic to keep the weed moving.

Was talking to the organiser there for saturday. Would i benefit from using smaller lures or maybe jelly worms to entice the smaller jacks that are probaly in the canal. and when using a smaller lure or spinner put a weight on it to sink it a big more. sink and draw and all that yeah. Iv only every deadbaiting for pike any pointers,

• Advertisement

Was talking to the organiser there for saturday. Would i benefit from using smaller lures or maybe jelly worms to entice the smaller jacks that are probaly in the canal. and when using a smaller lure or spinner put a weight on it to sink it a big more. sink and draw and all that yeah. Iv only every deadbaiting for pike any pointers,

Maybe use deadbait but use a float. If there is a pike around he will find the bait

The kid mad for relling it in an out he only 6 so patience is a factor. but he can cast the float in and work it along slowly. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pike Eater

He is six and hes fishing mad and only caught his first pike on the suck two weeks ago. i caught my first fish the week before i was invited to a club competition through a freind in work and won it with a 14lb and a 3Lb. Brilliant day.

That 14lb pike you caught was a beaut which part of the royal canal did you catch this sir?

I think id be thrown off the forum if i told you with your (name). but it wasnt on the canal.

I find with jacks they love a mepps or a minnow. On the river I fish I always get at least 2 jacks fishing a minnow or mepps.
    Sink and draw I've only caught fish on lakes with it.
    Have you tried a pop up dead bait yet? Small string of foam inside the mouth of the dead bait and into it stomach and the dead bait will sit up floating from the bottom. Can be a massive difference to catching fish in weedy areas.

would you put a shot on the mepps to sink it a bit. as i have said i have never really had success spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Tough time of year to be pike fishing the canal. The clear water and weed makes it a real challenge. If it were me I would work along and drop a float fished deadbait into the holes in the weed or other clear areas. Fished about 6 inches to a foot off bottom. I usually don't pike fish the canal in the summer or early autumn its not easy with all the weed growth.

You could also try a shallow diving floating plug or a popper too. Or a soft bait (shad or jellyworm) on a weedless rig. Anywhere with less weed growth like around bridges, lock gates etc would be the first place I would head to and after that I would work the weed holes.

You will be doing well to catch I would say. Hope it goes well.

would you put a shot on the mepps to sink it a bit. as i have said i have never really had success spinning.

Don't put a shot on it will alter the action of the spinner. You will have enough trouble keeping a sinking spinner up off the bottom and away from the weed as it is.

The kid mad for relling it in an out he only 6 so patience is a factor. but he can cast the float in and work it along slowly. thanks

That could well work. Set the bait off bottom and drop into weedless areas and let him twitch it back.

• Advertisement

Putting a shot on it can change the way it moves altogether. You need to stop thinking that pike are always deep. They're not. A pike will sit anywhere it's hidden so if the weeds come up to the surface a pike can sit a foot under the surface in them without you noticing it.
    If you want to get a mepps deep the let it sink and slow retrieve but in weeds you've a good chance of a snag.

Advertisement