Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUBLIN JUNIOR PIKE CHAMPIONSHIPS QUALIFIER

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭zombiekiller

while using a small spinner a shot seems to help with a longer cast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

It will cast further but the wake from the shot moving through the water will disrupt the flow of water over the blade and it wont work as well. If you need to cast further get a lighter tip rod or a spinner with a heavier core.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Soft plastics and jig flies are great on weedy canals. Rig the plastics weedless and cast to features and into holes in weed.

Stealth is also important on narrow stretches, as the pike will often be found on the near margin. Stay back from the edge and drop the lure into the margin a slowly work it back. Repeat a few times before casting around the swim.

Loads of into out there, I enjoy reading this blog - http://www.artificial-lite.co.uk/

Also worth remembering that high temperatures and potentially low oxygen in the water = easily stressed fish. Play them fast, get them into the net, onto an unhooking mat, weighed and back in the water as quickly as possible. Be prepared to nurse a fish in the net before releasing, as they can take a little longer to recover at this time of year.

Enjoy the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

A lighter rod or a spinner with bit more weight will sort that problem.
    Don't always assume that pike are miles out. I've caught them 6 foot from the bank. If you've ever walked along blessington you'll see them sitting almost on the bank in the weeds.
    Big pike will often patrol close to the banks looking for dead fish which I see a lot of people throwing in after a days fishin with dead baits.

jkchambers wrote: »
    Maybe use deadbait but use a float. If there is a pike around he will find the bait

I was planning to to have my trace comin down from my float and twitch it that way. but other rigs i have seen have a weight on the bottom. I dont want the lead to bring it to deep into the weed bed am i right.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFlzBPijPLmJi0HRdGPyQbb7W3VNWWWNihVBfInFgrPLl5D32Wkg

• Advertisement

Would this be better for weedy canal

Fig-6-Saltwater-Float-Rig.gif

Except mine wont be a slider it will be top and bottom swivel float

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Would this be better for weedy canal

Fig-6-Saltwater-Float-Rig.gif

Except mine wont be a slider it will be top and bottom swivel float

That would be better you don't need a lead. I would use a large pike "waggler", bottom end only.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

There will be another Junior Qualifier on August 13th fishing 6-30 pm untill 9 pm at Church lake near Shercock, County Cavan. Check in at the car park 6pm. For details contact Brendan on 086-6010272.

Dont forget the junior qualifier is on in the morning. Unfortunately the weather forecast is bad

With the bad forecast and lots of rain this morning just 6 young anglers turned up. I hear a couple pike have been caught. Hopefully all 6 will catch and go through to fish in the final

• Advertisement

6lb royal (2).JPGThanks to stephen and darren great lads. Rain stopped when we started and started when we finished. great day everyone caught and had a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Andypdublin24

Just fished the ashtown to castleknock stretch with not a bite. Its very weedy specially for the kid castin.

The river suck is posts be great i cant wait to.fish it

Advertisement