Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cass McCombs + Lisa O' Neill, Cork 25th July

Options
  • 24-07-2014 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

To all Corkonians, and current visitors to the rebel city, you could do a lot worse than dropping in to Cyprus Avenue tomorrow night!
    Don't really know much about Lisa O' Neill but really looking forward to seeing Cass McCombs live again after a brilliant show in the Workmans Club in January.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

I don't know anything about Cass, but Lisa O'Neill is a brilliant storyteller through homely lyrics, with a voice you'll either love or hate but will admire either way I reckon. Really great artist with not nearly enough recognition. Check out "I'm Gonna Get Me To The Road" and "Neally's Song" for good samples :) The pair play Limerick and Galway too (though they could be over or now!)

Actually Galway gig is on this evening. Too poor to go. Shocking stuff :(

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

Lisa O'Neill, awful really awful. If you hate someone, send them to one of her gigs. If she doesn't kill you with her singing voice the hipster, granny crowd surrounding you singing her praises surely will.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

That was pretty disappointing. Was it even 30 minutes? Nearly everything off the newest album. And I thought he'd have a full band...

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Robotito

It was a disaster. I was disappointed when I saw that it wasn't a full band show (as I always am with every artist/band I go to see..a subject for a thread of it's own I think!) Also there was only a tiny crowd, I'm guessing about 50 or so.
    But after accepting the fact that it would be a more intimate affair I'm afraid it was ruined by people talking and laughing etc at the back. At one point Cass and his guitarist/multi-instrumentalist (Dan Buddy) started into a mellower tune and the talking/laughing was so bad that he stopped short and gestured to Dan to get up from the pedal steel and grab an electric guitar for a louder song. He also asked for the PA to be turned up on at least one occasion.
    It was clear that the gang at the back weren't gonna shut up and without a full band to drown them out the whole thing descended in to a rudimentary run through of a setlist that lasted no more than 45 mins with no encore.
    The venue definitely has to take it's share of the blame but it's a fact that Cyprus Avenue is only suitable for rock gigs and this should have been on in Coughlans.
    I doubt Cass will be too eager to come back to Cork anytime soon and I'll have to travel to see him (with full band!!) the next time he hits these shores.
    I've been to 30+ gigs this year and the gig in the Workmans Club in January is in my top three, it was great, but this was a waste of €15 and the effort it took to get there.

Advertisement