Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unity

Options
  • 24-07-2014 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

Hi all! Didnt realise there was a game dev forum on boards!
    Any fellow Unity indies knocking around? (Im in Dublin)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Hi superflyninja,

Welcome to the GD forum. I use Unity, and there are a few others. Torax and I think Lonestone also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Hi!! What sort of games have you been making?

You can get the whole sordid tale here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057242583

What about you? What have you been working on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

im working on a bad ass awesome 2.5d platformer im going be rich i tells ya !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Team of 2 here at the moment. We were doing a 3D sci-fi shooter strategy game as a long term project, but until we get more on board it's on hold for a bit and we are looking at making some 2D games with Unity.
    Strangely enough, switching from vector3 to vector2 has complicated things for me lol.

• Advertisement

I don't really like the idea of using 2d mode since have been working with 3d for a while. What's your take on the pros & cons?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I don't really like the idea of using 2d mode since have been working with 3d for a while. What's your take on the pros & cons?
    I am still getting to grips with the 2d setup myself.
    I also find 3d easier, as the functions change slightly or a fair bit for some 2d stuff and I am used to the 3d functions.
    But the 2d setup should keep resources low for the mobile platform.
    And working with sprites after drawing a sprite sheet is really easy now.
    I can put all my sprites parts into one sheet and put it togethe rin Unity and even animate those parts.
    I think it will just take some time to get used to it.
    I'm currently doing object pooling and it's driving me mad lol
    One thing that is kind of handy sofar is the layers in 2d. I can easily place sprites in front of, or behind each other, by the layer number.
    I think it's worth checking out if doing 2D games, especially for a low memory platform like mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Kyotokid

Yup, us lot at Team Aozora (Dublin/UK) are using Unity as are bitSmith (Dublin) and I think Simteractive (Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

You can get the whole sordid tale here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057242583

What about you? What have you been working on?
    Deadstone looks very nice actually. Reminds me of Loaded/Alien Breed, voted on steam. How is that going?
    At the moment I've been learning a lot. And have some half functioning shells of games. But I'm now working with another guy in the UK on a project I came up with and I'm quite pumped...Not sure though whether to bring more peeps on board or not tbh.

Glad you like it & thanks for the vote. Greenlight is going fairly well at the minute, hoping to get through within the next 2 months. Fingers crossed!

Think everyone's got a few prototypes buried in the garden : ) Keep us posted on your progress and I hope it goes well for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement