Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting child's blood type

Options
  • 24-07-2014 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Is there a way to get a child's blood type? My nephew is 5 and requires blood type for passport renewal but his doctor says they won't take blood from under 18s. What options do we have to get it?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

why does he need it? no one in Ireland does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

agreed, it's only an 'optional field' on most documents (maybe in case of er medical care or something) ever needed.

No harm in knowing it, esp if one of the 15% 'Rh Neg' (so not directly linked to the Rhesus Monkey crowd). Blood donation is one way to find it out. Neg's are 'allegedly' related to hipsters and the gods from back yonder -35k'yrs ago who may/may not have come down and interfered with the local women folk. Common in the Basque region they may exhibit certain characteristics. I say 'ALLEGEDLY' again ;)

¨ Extra vertebra.
    ¨ Higher than average IQ
    ¨ More sensitive vision and other senses.
    ¨ Lower body temperature
    ¨ Higher blood pressure
    ¨ Increased occurrence of psychic/intuitive abilities
    ¨ Predominantly blue, green, or Hazel eyes
    ¨ Red or reddish hair
    ¨ Has increased sensitivity to heat and sunlight
    ¨ Cannot be cloned

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

Joe Doe wrote: »
    agreed, it's only an 'optional field' on most documents (maybe in case of er medical care or something) ever needed.

No harm in knowing it, esp if one of the 15% 'Rh Neg' (so not directly linked to the Rhesus Monkey crowd). Blood donation is one way to find it out. Neg's are 'allegedly' related to hipsters and the gods from back yonder -35k'yrs ago who may/may not have come down and interfered with the local women folk. Common in the Basque region they may exhibit certain characteristics. I say 'ALLEGEDLY' again ;)

¨ Extra vertebra.
    ¨ Higher than average IQ
    ¨ More sensitive vision and other senses.
    ¨ Lower body temperature
    ¨ Higher blood pressure
    ¨ Increased occurrence of psychic/intuitive abilities
    ¨ Predominantly blue, green, or Hazel eyes
    ¨ Red or reddish hair
    ¨ Has increased sensitivity to heat and sunlight
    ¨ Cannot be cloned

What?!!
    There is no point in writing down anybody's blood type on anything to be honest as in an emergency no one will take your word for it as it's too risky. Everyone is given O negative until a sample can be typed in the lab.

Not sure why you'd want to put your child through the trauma of a blood test unless absolutely necessary.

Edit: sorry OP, just realised this wasn't you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GlitterBug20

Moonbeam wrote: »
    why does he need it? no one in Ireland does.

He's adopted and requires it for passport renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

He's adopted and requires it for passport renewal.

No-one requires a blood type for Passport renewal in Ireland, even if the are either Adult, Child, Adopted or Naturalized.

You can optionally put Next of Kin details and maybe Blood Group info on the passport.

• Advertisement

No-one requires a blood type for Passport renewal in Ireland, even if the are either Adult, Child, Adopted or Naturalized.

You can optionally put Next of Kin details and maybe Blood Group info on the passport.

It's not an Irish passport.. it's Algerian and they introducing the new biometric passports so have to give fingerprint and bloodtype. Hope this clarifies.😊

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

ok that explains it.
    If he is legally adopted in Ireland though he is entitled to an irish passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Moonbeam wrote: »
    ok that explains it.
    If he is legally adopted in Ireland though he is entitled to an irish passport.
    It's not an Irish passport.. it's Algerian and they introducing the new biometric passports so have to give fingerprint and bloodtype. Hope this clarifies.😊

Is the child in Ireland or Algeria at present? If in Algeria, and this is a passport requirement, I would imagine that local doctors know this. If the child is in Ireland, do (as Moonbeam suggests) they have an entitlement to an Irish Passport?

As I understand it, Algeria does not permit dual citizenship, if you nephew has been adopted in Ireland, to Irish Citizens, then he might have already lost Algerian citizenship, since he would have acquired Irish citizenship upon adoption.

If you can (or intend to try) to maintain Algerian citizenship, you might remember Algeria has conscription, and your nephew would have to return for his 18 months of National service when he become an adult.

Is the child in Ireland or Algeria at present? If in Algeria, and this is a passport requirement, I would imagine that local doctors know this. If the child is in Ireland, do (as Moonbeam suggests) they have an entitlement to an Irish Passport?

As I understand it, Algeria does not permit dual citizenship, if you nephew has been adopted in Ireland, to Irish Citizens, then he might have already lost Algerian citizenship, since he would have acquired Irish citizenship upon adoption.

If you can (or intend to try) to maintain Algerian citizenship, you might remember Algeria has conscription, and your nephew would have to return for his 18 months of National service when he become an adult.

Thanks for the info. He is in Ireland with Irish mother and his father is Algerian. Tbh I'm not entirely sure if he has an Irish passport also..

They were able to get his blood tested by bringing to a medical clinic today.

Thanks everyone for all your repsonses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Just going to say both mine were blood typed at birth because I'm RH neg and husband pos. They do a very quick lab test after the birth on RH neg mother's as we need a shot within 4 hours of the birth if the baby is different blood type.

To blood type someone is a couple of drops, tiny test.

I don't know about that kooky list above, but I do have an extra few foot bones (enough bones for a 6th toe but it hid in there with number 5). :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement