Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J4/5 (Social Rugby) Season 2014/2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

.ak wrote: »

As it gets colder you may want to invest in some compression/thermal gear.

You'd know, you're a back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

stephen_n wrote: »
    You'd know, you're a back!

That's basically it. I'm fairly sure Underarmour produced their coldgear compression tops with J4/5 wingers in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Do many clubs supply basic gear such as socks/shorts on matchdays? I've never heard of that at this level - I've always had my own shorts/socks etc., the club supplies jersey. I don't think I'd wear communal socks/shorts tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Thanks for the info lads. Kind of what I expected alright. Are the clubs membership fees in plain view on their respective websites?

Teferi wrote: »
    Do many clubs supply basic gear such as socks/shorts on matchdays? I've never heard of that at this level - I've always had my own shorts/socks etc., the club supplies jersey. I don't think I'd wear communal socks/shorts tbh.

Ours don't anyway.

MRTULES wrote: »
    Thanks for the info lads. Kind of what I expected alright. Are the clubs membership fees in plain view on their respective websites?

Generally yeah, its a usually on their membership form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Ours don't anyway.

2 seasons ago our club included socks/shorts as something you get when you pay subs which I thought was a nice touch.

That is a cool touch actually. Cuz you'll defo be buying more anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Pre season starts tonight. Gonna grab a nap now, then go down and suffer. AK, I'll be wearing an ulster top just for you.

I'm really not looking forward to this. #prayforcloneslad will possibly be trending later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 simone2014

Really looking forward to tonight!
    Although took a wise decision to skip gym at Lunchtime to see what the f_ck this rugby lark is all about!!!

simone2014 wrote: »
    Really looking forward to tonight!
    Although took a wise decision to skip gym at Lunchtime to see what the f_ck this rugby lark is all about!!!

Good luck tonight, I'll be the guy getting sick.....so one of about 10-15 people I'd think

cloneslad wrote: »
    Pre season starts tonight. Gonna grab a nap now, then go down and suffer. AK, I'll be wearing an ulster top just for you.

I'm really not looking forward to this. #prayforcloneslad will possibly be trending later

Starting on Wednesday. Don't want to show you up. #dontshowupcloneslad

Starting on Wednesday. Don't want to show you up. #dontshowupcloneslad

I missed you....I had to fetch my own water...... I was also the smallest man there, though I'm not sure that would have changed even if you were present.

We, Clontarf, had our first training session tonight. A great mixture of old, very old, and new members.

It was a good session, not as hard as I thought it would be, but good to blow off the cobwebs. There was over 40 lads there tonight, hopefully we'll get some more coming in the next few weeks and be committed to fielding three strong teams at j4/j5/j6 levels.

I hope all the new guys enjoyed themselves, the coaches are putting in a great deal of effort with their training preparation, so it'll be great for any new people to get to grips with the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I missed you....I had to fetch my own water...... I was also the smallest man there, though I'm not sure that would have changed even if you were present.

We, Clontarf, had our first training session tonight. A great mixture of old, very old, and new members.

It was a good session, not as hard as I thought it would be, but good to blow off the cobwebs. There was over 40 lads there tonight, hopefully we'll get some more coming in the next few weeks and be committed to fielding three strong teams at j4/j5/j6 levels.

I hope all the new guys enjoyed themselves, the coaches are putting in a great deal of effort with their training preparation, so it'll be great for any new people to get to grips with the game.

Will be back myself next week. As you say hopefully we'll get the numbers for 3 sides. But the big question we all need answered is: did you throw up this time?

molloyjh wrote: »
    Will be back myself next week. As you say hopefully we'll get the numbers for 3 sides. But the big question we all need answered is: did you throw up this time?

I did not. I ate sensibly and had a nap beforehand....I'm such an old bugger.

Are all the other clubs back in training now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

DLSP j4 back on thursday at 7 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

That's basically it. I'm fairly sure Underarmour produced their coldgear compression tops with J4/5 wingers in mind.

I ware long sleeved underarmour in the pack. Helps with the cuts and grazes

salmocab wrote: »

Was chatting to a DLSP player on Saturday night at a house party in rathgar. He plays prop for your division 11 team. I'm not sure if he'd remember chatting to me, or if he'll have fully recovered by Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Is there something up with DLSP website. No info on any Junior teams (at least not that I can see). How many teams are there? when do you train/play?
    Any info is much appreciated.

Cloneslad how's the ground out in castle avenue? Like concrete? Mouldies or astroboots good enough?

• Advertisement

Cloneslad how's the ground out in castle avenue? Like concrete? Mouldies or astroboots good enough?

I wore these last night, they were grand, ground is still hard but grass was a bit slippy if you tried to turn quickly....that's never and issue of mine. Others were in mouldies.

tenis-nike5-bomba-2-turf-futbol-rapido-negro-lemonstwist-fdp_MLM-O-4534745240_062013.jpg

MRTULES wrote: »
    Is there something up with DLSP website. No info on any Junior teams (at least not that I can see). How many teams are there? when do you train/play?
    Any info is much appreciated.

We are very secretive, actually just appointed a new P.R.O. and that should all be sorted very soon. We have 4 adult teams and this season we have started a new women's team. training is tuesday and thursday nights at 7 or 730 depending on the team. Most matches are Saturdays except the seconds who mostly play sundays. Try to move some games to fridays as two of our pitches have match lights. 3rd XV have a meeting tonight at 7 30 with training starting on thursday all welcome especially new players. If your interested P.M. me and I will put you right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I wore these last night, they were grand, ground is still hard but grass was a bit slippy if you tried to turn quickly....that's never and issue of mine. Others were in mouldies.

tenis-nike5-bomba-2-turf-futbol-rapido-negro-lemonstwist-fdp_MLM-O-4534745240_062013.jpg

5 extra 'Heanie Mullers' for anyone who turns wearing a pair of those at our training grounds!!

We had a new guy take to the field wearing Sun glasses during the tip rugby of training part at the start of a session a few weeks ago. He's still doing Heanie Mullers 3 weeks later.

5 extra 'Heanie Mullers' for anyone who turns wearing a pair of those at our training grounds!!

We had a new guy take to the field wearing Sun glasses during the tip rugby of training part at the start of a session a few weeks ago. He's still doing Heanie Mullers 3 weeks later.

These are possibly the least likely to get me into trouble at the club. Ulster clothing at every match, an ospreys jersey whenever they play Leinster, skinny jeans, moisturiser, body shaving..,. I've gotten away with them all so far.....so far :eek:

Also, we did some heenie mullers on Monday night.....I enjoyed them

What is a Heanie Muller now?

Just running it seems.

A Hennie Muller consists of running the width, the length and the diagonal of the rugby field, ending up where you started. Do it twice in a row, then repeat as you're able. Apparently the Tokyo Gaijin Rugby Team do about five sets for one training session.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/4202449

Spot the newbie :)

already answered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Figure of 8 run on pitch. Used hate doing this for fitness when younger... Can remember evenings of a lot of "Hennies" when lads were messing, ec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

It appears to be a training technique from the 80's . 1880's at that .

Do coaches still waste time on such non rugby specific running ?

We just do laps for fitness, with sprints thrown in. Sounds basically the same...

• Advertisement

It appears to be a training technique from the 80's . 1880's at that .

Do coaches still waste time on such non rugby specific running ?

Rarely I'd say but it's not used for training or fitness, it's used as punishment mostly for slacking off or arsing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 simone2014

stephen_n wrote: »
    Rarely I'd say but it's not used for training or fitness, it's used as punishment mostly for slacking off or arsing around.

Well either way.. I was still foooked after it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

We still do them. Preseason and as punishment as someone else pointed out.

If you do sprints on the longest parts of the figure eight and recover in between on the short end then it's a crude form of interval training ... that's the way we do them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

Just to hear "Heanie Muller" inspires fear and shivers all over my body..!!! Used to be quite popular in my former club(Seapoint)... They have other forms of punishment in my current club(Carlow)

Does anyone know what the story is down in bird avenue was the new clubhouse built by Landsdowne? Are Stillorgan still there? Is there a long term thing planned by Stillorgan to move? I just assumed it was a new dressing room complex built by the school but I was talking to my brother earlier and he reckoned it was Landsdownes although I assume that just means they coughed up and CUS benefit from it, although to be fair he likes to think he is in the know and could be full of sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Does anyone know what the story is down in bird avenue was the new clubhouse built by Landsdowne? Are Stillorgan still there? Is there a long term thing planned by Stillorgan to move? I just assumed it was a new dressing room complex built by the school but I was talking to my brother earlier and he reckoned it was Landsdownes although I assume that just means they coughed up and CUS benefit from it, although to be fair he likes to think he is in the know and could be full of sh1t.

Don't Lansdowne and Wesley have their fairly new place in Ballyporus?

Don't Lansdowne and Wesley have their fairly new place in Ballyporus?

Yeah although I seem to play Wesley a lot more up there than Landsdowne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

I understand that Parkmore are moving all the way from div 7 to div 10. They won 3 games last year so they were not outclassed by any means.

Would be concerned that they are not really interested in competitive rugby and instead want some easy marks for them to do their Harlem Globetrotters routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

CUS built it and Stillorgan will still play their matches there. everything else is just hearsay and rumours!

(so yes he's full of **** as thats the first i ever heard of Lansdowne having anything to do with it.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Is there anywhere to see the junior rugby leagues?

eoferrall wrote: »
    CUS built it and Stillorgan will still play their matches there. everything else is just hearsay and rumours!

(so yes he's full of **** as thats the first i ever heard of Lansdowne having anything to do with it.)

Cheers man thats what I thought but he claimed there was a Landsdowne sign up on the end of building. Glad Stillorgan are still there always liked playing them, good lads and tough games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Cheers man thats what I thought but he claimed there was a Landsdowne sign up on the end of building. Glad Stillorgan are still there always liked playing them, good lads and tough games.

in september we will be starting to train on flood lit, all weather pitches, but playing matches in Bird ave.

So might see you there some saturday!

eoferrall wrote: »
    in september we will be starting to train on flood lit, all weather pitches, but playing matches in Bird ave.

So might see you there some saturday!

Where are the all weather pitches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Interesting Lansdowne getting involved there with their place up in Ballycorus they share with Wesley has only been refurbished within last few years with pitches done up etc
    gaius c wrote: »
    I understand that Parkmore are moving all the way from div 7 to div 10. They won 3 games last year so they were not outclassed by any means.

Would be concerned that they are not really interested in competitive rugby and instead want some easy marks for them to do their Harlem Globetrotters routine.
    Could they have lost serious amount of players forcing the move? Not like they've a big club who can replace players easy..
    Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to see the junior rugby leagues?
    Not all divisions are available on Leinster website yet but top 5 divisions have definitely been made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Could they have lost serious amount of players forcing the move? Not like they've a big club who can replace players easy..

Maybe but I'm skeptical. Could be because I remember other teams pulling the same excuse and promptly getting bumped back to where they came from once their agenda became apparent. I'm thinking of a J4A winning team that instead of moving up to J3, instead asked to move 4 divisions down into J5 because "their front row retired".

If they had "lost a serious amount of players", they'd be folding, not going to a different league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Where are the all weather pitches?
    Benildus have new astro facilities, I think it's there. They were there on Tuesdays over the winter last season.

I think where your brother is getting his wires crossed is that someone on the PTA in CUS is a Lansdowne man... Putting two and two together and getting five.

Question for the wingers out there. If you have a primary leg you step off, do you prefer to play on that side of the pitch? i.e; if you step off your right mostly, do you like to play on the right side of the pitch to step back inside? Or would you prefer to play on the left to step outside the man.

Question for the wingers out there. If you have a primary leg you step off, do you prefer to play on that side of the pitch? i.e; if you step off your right mostly, do you like to play on the right side of the pitch to step back inside? Or would you prefer to play on the left to step outside the man.

Are you trying to avoid tackles?? we want you to go through people this year.

I'm er, asking for a friend!

Anyway I'll go through people when you learn to pass a ball. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Does anyone know then the fixtures will be out? Can't wait to see if I'll have the opportunity to run over some of you lot ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement