Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J4/5 (Social Rugby) Season 2014/2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

.ak wrote: »
    Had our annual Christmas murderball game yesterday... Thought to myself, sure I haven't ran a mile in about a month, so hopefully a few minutes as a rolling sub will do fine....

Then it turns out we only have enough for 12 aside. Played the 80, whilst carrying multiple turkey dinners and sandwiches, in the ice. I reckon that's what hell is.

Good craic all the same.

Hang on you have trained throughout the year, and you didnt have a few pints before the game, i thought the same as you, 10 15 mins bit of fun...im in a heap

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭devolution

That's the Christmas rut that everyone gets every Christmas, & then on top of that there is the annual 2 or 3 weeks of pitches & matches been rained off! Before you know it your up half a stone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

devolution wrote: »
    That's the Christmas rut that everyone gets every Christmas, & then on top of that there is the annual 2 or 3 weeks of pitches & matches been rained off! Before you know it your up half a stone!

Has not been too bad for unplayable pitches so far. However was shocked to see our game go ahead against Monkstown at the end of November with days of rain previous, however pitch was not too bad. Look forward to having some astro next season to train on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

devolution wrote: »

I go the other way, haven't played since the first week in December and am down 2kgs in the last 10 days, will take most of January to put it back on!

Of course the only future problem I see with Astro will be!
    "I'm not playing on grass, we'll get filthy & it's"wet"

The younger lads are getting very fussy playing conditions nowadays!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah but unfortunately for a country so used to crappy conditions it doesn't take much for the pitches to become unplayable.

Does anyone remember the dates of the cup are usually played on? Roughly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Think it starts mid / end of March. It's a very large pool, so I think there could be 6 rounds for the finalists.

Ugh. We have an away match to Normans on Saturday... At 2:30... Which means I'll probably miss the Castres game. Anyone have any experience with driving down there from Dublin, how long does it take?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

By bus it took us about 2.5 hours. I'd say you'd make it in 2.

• Advertisement

Will definitely miss it then. Ugh... Don't suppose the branch/club would move it forward? They're usually quite good with ensuring games don't overlap Leinster/Ireland fixtures etc.

Will definitely miss it then. Ugh... Don't suppose the branch/club would move it forward? They're usually quite good with ensuring games don't overlap Leinster/Ireland fixtures etc.
    Watch it down there? The Normans lads are bang on and the bar they brought us to after the match for food was excellent.

dregin wrote: »
    Watch it down there? The Normans lads are bang on and the bar they brought us to after the match for food was excellent.

Yeah... Depends if my lift wants to stay or not! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

you'd make it down there in about an hour and a half from the club, do you have tickets for the game?

Ah crap, forgot it was a home fixture. I'd say they wouldn't mind moving it forward an hour or two. Best get onto your fixtures secretary.

cloneslad wrote: »
    you'd make it down there in about an hour and a half from the club, do you have tickets for the game?

Yeah I have season tickets... Could catch the 2nd half.

Do you's have a game this weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Ugh. We have an away match to Normans on Saturday... At 2:30... Which means I'll probably miss the Castres game. Anyone have any experience with driving down there from Dublin, how long does it take?

They moved a game to 1pm for us (Salmo) earlier this season to let us get back in time for Leinster-Munster, so no harm in asking.

Knocktopher to the Red Cow shouldn't take more than 1 hr 20 min - so it depends on how quickly you can get into the City centre after that. For Ballsbridge it might be worth taking the M50, then tunnel and Eastlink?

Great result at the weekend btw

blackwhite wrote: »
    They moved a game to 1pm for us (Salmo) earlier this season to let us get back in time for Leinster-Munster, so no harm in asking.

Knocktopher to the Red Cow shouldn't take more than 1 hr 20 min - so it depends on how quickly you can get into the City centre after that. For Ballsbridge it might be worth taking the M50, then tunnel and Eastlink?

Great result at the weekend btw

Yeah might say it to the coaches and see what they say.

Cheers, was nice to see all the training pay off, especially as our squad has a lot of guys who only started playing rugby in the last 12 months. Was good to see the basics clicking.

Yeah I have season tickets... Could catch the 2nd half.

Do you's have a game this weekend?

We're supposed to be playing bective, but they've conceded the last 4-5 matches, so it probably won't go ahead. I'll not be taking my cheerleading duties to Kilkenny to watch your game though, clonskeagh was far enough and I froze my nuts off at it.....and it only got worse when you went on and gave me the touch judge duties.

Was a great game to watch though, think your biggest credit was one of the stillorgan lads asking me if we had a load of bangers/ringers playing. I let him know our j4 lads were playing a match at the same time, not sure it comforted him much.

• Advertisement

We're supposed to be playing bective, but they've conceded the last 4-5 matches, so it probably won't go ahead. I'll not be taking my cheerleading duties to Kilkenny to watch your game though, clonskeagh was far enough and I froze my nuts off at it.....and it only got worse when you went on and gave me the touch judge duties.

Was a great game to watch though, think your biggest credit was one of the stillorgan lads asking me if we had a load of bangers/ringers playing. I let him know our j4 lads were playing a match at the same time, not sure it comforted him much.

I got a giggle out of one of their lads taking a pic of me.

... If only they knew how bad I really am!

Still was a good game to play, both teams looked to run the ball despite the score line. Pretty sure I got frostbite tho!

I got a giggle out of one of their lads taking a pic of me.

... If only they knew how bad I really am!

Still was a good game to play, both teams looked to run the ball despite the score line. Pretty sure I got frostbite tho!

Ha ha, he would have to zoom out quite a bit to get your big guns in the photo.

It was a good game to watch, the Clontarf defence was pretty decent. Stillorgan looked very tired after two or three phases, one of their props struggle to make rucks, which created a decent bit of space to break the line.i felt sorry for their full back, he must have had a two on one against him at least 5-6 times on Saturday.

My fingers and toes took an age to warm up, I have no idea how you stood around watching then came on.

I see monkstown beat Kilkenny in our division (10). That opens it back up quite a bit again

Yeah this looks pretty tight in league 10. Very possible of any 4 teams to qualify there.

For us it's just about getting a string of wins together and I'd be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Blizzards

I see monkstown beat Kilkenny in our division (10). That opens it back up quite a bit again[/QUOTE]

This result seems to have changed to Monkstown v Kilkenny Sydney Parade 10/01/2015 17:00 Conceded by Monkstown. Anyone know why????

What's the quality like this year in div 10, seems quite open with nobody running away with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Blizzards wrote: »
    I see monkstown beat Kilkenny in our division (10). That opens it back up quite a bit again

This result seems to have changed to Monkstown v Kilkenny Sydney Parade 10/01/2015 17:00 Conceded by Monkstown. Anyone know why????[/QUOTE]

Monkstown themselves don't seem to know why but it appears that Kilkenny complained on the day.

Incidentally, Kilkenny had Ireland's strongest man playing for them and he scored two tries. Not what division 10 rugby should be about IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

gaius c wrote: »

Incidentally, Kilkenny had Ireland's strongest man playing for them and he scored two tries. Not what division 10 rugby should be about IMO.

In fairness hes as entitled as anyone else to play rugby at whatever level he finds suits, being strong doesn't make him a good player or even better than division 10 standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I played against him yesterday. He's not fantastic by any stretch.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I played against him yesterday. He's not fantastic by any stretch.

Any ideas why the result has been changed?

We (clontarf) played Normans yesterday in div11. Very strong bunch of lads! Played a very basic but accurate bit of rugby and totally blew us off the park unfortunately. I haven't been this sore after playing a game before... I somehow managed to break my toe, but didn't cop it until after the game. Probably something to do with having to play hooker! (I'm 10st on a good day!)

salmocab wrote: »
    Any ideas why the result has been changed?

Haven't a clue, I'm playing for Terenure and haven't heard anything.

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Haven't a clue, I'm playing for Terenure and haven't heard anything.

sorry thought the monks town/ kilkenny game was yesterday

salmocab wrote: »
    In fairness hes as entitled as anyone else to play rugby at whatever level he finds suits, being strong doesn't make him a good player or even better than division 10 standard.

Divs 10 and 11 are beginner leagues and coming up against professional strongmen shouldn't really be on the menu.

P.S. especially if there's complaints being made about the composition of other teams.

Divs 10 and 11 are beginner leagues and coming up against professional strongmen shouldn't really be on the menu.

He could be a beginner himself. Honestly hes as entitled to play at that level as anyone. He did bounce me at one point but sure look :pac:

P.S. especially if there's complaints being made about the composition of other teams.

It could be his first year or he could be a useless player, what he does in other sports is irrelevant. Divs 10 and 11 aren't only for beginners anyway there are plenty of older guys with experience coming out their ears playing and I can tell you as a prop I would rather scrummage against a massive well built young guy than a tough old guy who knows every trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

A good few of the boys who played yesterday told me that the worlds strongest man isn't the greatest player so he is probably playing in or around his level despite being an absolute unit.

Teferi wrote: »
    A good few of the boys who played yesterday told me that the worlds strongest man isn't the greatest player so he is probably playing in or around his level despite being an absolute unit.

We were all saying that on the way home alright. The smallest lad on the team took him down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

We (clontarf) played Normans yesterday in div11. Very strong bunch of lads! Played a very basic but accurate bit of rugby and totally blew us off the park unfortunately. I haven't been this sore after playing a game before... I somehow managed to break my toe, but didn't cop it until after the game. Probably something to do with having to play hooker! (I'm 10st on a good day!)

Definitely a few lads off that team playing higher levels of rugby with college teams etc. Suppose that's the problem you come across with one team clubs playing in the bottom division, but still.

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Definitely a few lads off that team playing higher levels of rugby with college teams etc. Suppose that's the problem you come across with one team clubs playing in the bottom division, but still.

Well, they were definitely strong lads especially in the back row, but I think we only have ourselves to blame tactically speaking. Other teams have beaten them in our div so no excuses really. We played into their hands at times. And I definitely found out the hard way of playing in an unfamiliar position. Got absolutely creamed a few times getting flat footed in defence!

What ya plan on doing for it? I had mine stood on a couple of times in the same place just below my big toe on one foot and ignored it. I now have a large lump just below the join which makes it painful to walk let alone run/ruck/maul/put any pressure on it. Best to get it dealt with properly.

What ya plan on doing for it? I had mine stood on a couple of times in the same place just below my big toe on one foot and ignored it. I now have a large lump just below the join which makes it painful to walk let alone run/ruck/maul/put any pressure on it. Best to get it dealt with properly.

Unless it's your big toe there's nothing you can do. I've broken my index toe before and spent €50 with the doctor to tell me there's nothing you can do.

So it's a case of resting it for atleast a week, buddy tapping it, and making sure it doesn't go numb or tingly otherwise you need to go to the doctor. Will try to sprint on it in a week or two and see how it feels. Thankfully it's just my little toe.

• Advertisement

I broke my little toe against Kilkenny earlier in the season. I just strap it to the toe next to it. There's no fix for it, and it doesn't help when your own props keep taking the time to stand on it, repeatedly. it also suffers pretty badly in this cold weather when playing tag or at training.

I got a decent foamed tape in Boots, which gives it some cushioning, should you want to protect it a bit.

Unless it's your big toe there's nothing you can do. I've broken my index toe before and spent €50 with the doctor to tell me there's nothing you can do.

So it's a case of resting it for atleast a week, buddy tapping it, and making sure it doesn't go numb or tingly otherwise you need to go to the doctor. Will try to sprint on it in a week or two and see how it feels. Thankfully it's just my little toe.

You are a hooker now, no sprinting.

chris85 wrote: »

Ironic, considering you side stepped a winger and ran another 60+ metres to score a try earlier in the season.

Ironic, considering you side stepped a winger and ran another 60+ metres to score a try earlier in the season.

Ha yeah true. Try not to do them too often. Or I cant do them too often. Always forget which one :D

Does anyone know why Clondalkin V Barnhall was called off on Sat in div 8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Go to a podiatrist for an immediate assessment, treatment and prognosis, the pair of you. While there isn't a lot that they can do for a actual break, they will know if anything is out of place or damaged and how treatable any injuries are. I let a bad foot injury go without immediate treatment beyond first aid back in 2007 and it's still bruised and occasionally achy and stiff to this day.

chris85 wrote: »

I didn't do too much sprinting as a winger anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Does anyone know why Clondalkin V Barnhall was called off on Sat in div 8?

Clondalkin v RCSI in Div 11 was called off as well.

Maybe pitch issues?

blackwhite wrote: »
    Clondalkin v RCSI in Div 11 was called off as well.

Maybe pitch issues?

Probably frozen pitch. Happens a bit out in Kingswood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I broke my little toe against Kilkenny earlier in the season. I just strap it to the toe next to it. There's no fix for it, and it doesn't help when your own props keep taking the time to stand on it, repeatedly. it also suffers pretty badly in this cold weather when playing tag or at training.

I got a decent foamed tape in Boots, which gives it some cushioning, should you want to protect it a bit.

You should just play in bubble wrap ffs you nordies seem to be made of glass!

Advertisement