Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minor Alteration Quote

Options
  • 25-07-2014 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

Standard 3 bed semi with kitchen at the rear. Along the rear wall is a sliding door on one side and window on the other.

I don't have sizes of either the door or window but they are standard. I want to take out the sliding door and put a window in its place.

I want to remove the existing window and install a single PVC door.

Can any give a ball park figure for this type of job ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

5/15k

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

5/15k !!! you're kidding or you're guessing ! that job would take a maximum of 3 days !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

€500.

The internet is brilliant isn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Carra23 wrote: »
    5/15k !!! you're kidding or you're guessing ! that job would take a maximum of 3 days !

if you believe you already know the answer why are you asking the question? If you throw a long is a piece of string question, expect a similar answer.

Did I put this in the Humor Forum ? Seriously, if I knew the answer I would not have asked the question as that would have been a complete and utter waste of my time. However, I do know enough to know that the things to consider are labour, materials and profit. I am not a builder, obviously, but I know enough to know that a price between 5-15k for that small job is a bit OTT.

I reckon closer to 2500=3500 is more realistic, time will tell.

And yes the internet is fantastic !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Did I put this in the Humor Forum ? Seriously, if I knew the answer I would not have asked the question as that would have been a complete and utter waste of my time. However, I do know enough to know that the things to consider are labour, materials and profit. I am not a builder, obviously, but I know enough to know that a price between 5-15k for that small job is a bit OTT.

I reckon closer to 2500=3500 is more realistic, time will tell.

And yes the internet is fantastic !

To be fair, you havent given us a whole pile of information. Are the windows, PVC, Aluclad, timber? Triple glazed, double glazed?

Theres no such thing as a standard three bed semi. Every project is different. Is there services running nearby, how is the access? Will the area be in use during the works.

All these things are valid and would have an impact on the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

I would not have asked the question as that would have been a complete and utter waste of my time.

Aw ! You should apply to Boards.ie for a refund so

cronin_j wrote: »
    To be fair, you havent given us a whole pile of information. Are the windows, PVC, Aluclad, timber? Triple glazed, double glazed?

Theres no such thing as a standard three bed semi. Every project is different. Is there services running nearby, how is the access? Will the area be in use during the works.

All these things are valid and would have an impact on the price!

I can't take the statement in bold seriously at all. Anyway, I think my original question has been lost in all the sarcastic replies. I don't want to build a 3 bed semi, I live in one and plan to swap the position of the sliding door and window that are on the rear wall in the kitchen, while also reducing the size of the door from a sliding door to a single PVC door.

4Sticks wrote: »
    Aw ! You should apply to Boards.ie for a refund so

A refund for what ? you have completely lost me with this one. If you are referring to my time, it's impossible to refund, it is priceless, once it is gone, it's gone forever.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

we will all leave the sarcasm out from here on, thanks everyone
    I can't take the statement in bold seriously at all. Anyway, I think my original question has been lost in all the sarcastic replies. I don't want to build a 3 bed semi, I live in one and plan to swap the position of the sliding door and window that are on the rear wall in the kitchen, while also reducing the size of the door from a sliding door to a single PVC door.
    you wish to remove a window and a double door. Secure/protect the house while doing so. Employ someone with insurance, paying tax, h&s compliant and who will dispose of the waste materials etc.
    The works are to remove the ex win, Knock out cill/ block work to floor level, correct DPC etc, insert new single door, make good all surrounding finishes.
    take out double door, fill in blockwork to install ex win ( size not stated& assumed not damaged) and make good surrounding finishes? Have I summed up your requirements?
    What is factored in for internal finishes? kitchen units/tiling affected? Plastering/flooring? Plumbing/ electrics ? Access?

Take the wording above and get 3 quotes. Please comeback and tell us how you get on.

Remember to request a completion date with the quotes

Best of luck

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    we will all leave the sarcasm out from here on, thanks everyone
    you wish to remove a window and a double door. Secure/protect the house while doing so. Employ someone with insurance, paying tax, h&s compliant and who will dispose of the waste materials etc.
    The works are to remove the ex win, Knock out cill/ block work to floor level, correct DPC etc, insert new single door, make good all surrounding finishes.
    take out double door, fill in blockwork to install ex win ( size not stated& assumed not damaged) and make good surrounding finishes? Have I summed up your requirements?
    What is factored in for internal finishes? kitchen units/tiling affected? Plastering/flooring? Plumbing/ electrics ? Access?

Take the wording above and get 3 quotes. Please comeback and tell us how you get on.

Remember to request a completion date with the quotes

Best of luck

Appreciate your reply but all of what you said fits under labour, materials and profit. I gave a simple query because it is a simple job. If I needed presses moved I would have said so !

I think my mistake was assuming I would get an intelligent response from someone with an IQ greatet than that of a goldfish.

Thanks all the same for all the replies, I got a laugh from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

About €3,800 inc Vat

Appreciate your reply but all of what you said fits under labour, materials and profit. I gave a simple query because it is a simple job. If I needed presses moved I would have said so !

I think my mistake was assuming I would get an intelligent response from someone with an IQ greatet than that of a goldfish.

Thanks all the same for all the replies, I got a laugh from them.

banned for 24 hours for ignoring moderators instruction

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

kkelliher wrote: »
    banned for 24 hours for ignoring moderators instruction

Perhaps if a mod hadn't thanked the first sarcastic post this whole thread would have went better?

The OP is "misguided" perhaps but didnt deserve to be ridiculed.

(I fully expect my 24 hr ban now)

893bet wrote: »
    Perhaps if a mod hadn't thanked the first sarcastic post this whole thread would have went better?

The OP is "misguided" perhaps but didnt deserve to be ridiculed.

(I fully expect my 24 hr ban now)

I generally disagree as taking a negative response to an answer given is not generally going to receive much of a better response. If you want concrete details on an issue, pay a professional.

I have banned solely for ignoring the instruction to move on. no other reason.

I have no intention of banning you for your post (others may disagree) but as far as I am concerned this issue is now over and the thread should move on and deal with the specifics of the query or be closed.

Advertisement